Seattle Hotel Question

davewk

We are flying in the day before our Alaska Cruise in August. Do any of the hotels in Downtown Seattle (Pikes Place Market area) offer shuttles from the airport?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

If you go to the West Coast Departures board and look for the Seattle threads you'll find lots of discussion about shuttles, hotels, and sightseeing.

I think there's a shuttle express that drops passengers at various hotels. It's not free but a reasonable price, something like $18 p/p?

We are flying in the day before our Alaska Cruise in August. Do any of the hotels in Downtown Seattle (Pikes Place Market area) offer shuttles from the airport?

In a word, no. Depending on where you are staying taxi or town car is a much better option, in order to avoid having to walk or transfer. Even the Gray Line Airporter has cut service this year, stopping at less hotels than last year.

We took the bus from the airport straight to the cruise terminal in Seattle, but we were not staying overnight. On our next trip (in July) we will stay 2 or 3 nights to see a few more things in Seattle that we might have missed on our last visit.

If you can manage your luggage onto the bus or Metro, there's no point paying for a taxi. I'm sure many of the hotels do have shuttles, however, but they may only have them to and from the airport, not the cruise terminal

Nancy

We took the bus from the airport straight to the cruise terminal in Seattle, but we were not staying overnight. On our next trip (in July) we will stay 2 or 3 nights to see a few more things in Seattle that we might have missed on our last visit.

If you can manage your luggage onto the bus or Metro, there's no point paying for a taxi. I'm sure many of the hotels do have shuttles, however, but they may only have them to and from the airport, not the cruise terminal

Nancy

Again, downtown hotels do NOT have shuttles to the airport, only airport hotels do.

There is no longer a Metro bus from the airport to downtown and back, they have been discontinued in favor of the Link Light Rail. The light rail station is about 1/4 mile from the main airport terminal, so you would need to be able to walk that distance handling all of your luggage on your own. If you can do that, it is the most cost effective method to get downtown, but you will then need to find a taxi from the light rail station downtown to your downtown hotel, unless it is one of the few within a level block or so from the station. Downtown has many steep hills that you would need to navigate if planning to walk from light rail to hotel.

OP, you don't mention where you are staying, might be helpful for good recommendations.

Here is the site for the Link Rail.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Schedules-and-Facilities/Central-Link-Light-Rail.xml

It's definitely the cheapest option. Personally, I would take it into downtown and if my hotel was in a few blocks, I'd just walk it. More than 5 or 6 blocks, just get a cab. Shouldn't be too hard depending on the time of day. A cab can be really expensive from SeaTac into downtown.

Could some please tell me where the light rail downtown stop is and how far would that be from the Red Lion on 5th. Thanks

If you got off the Link rail at 4th and Pine, you'd be 2 blocks away from the Red Lion on 5th. That particular area of downtown would be very walkable.

We were able to change our flight so we come in day before(Delta had changed our flight 3 times since we booked and last time put us in too late.)Our wonderful T/A was able to convience them to change us to a flight the day before so we now get to spend some time in Seattle.Looking for no stress for the rest of the vacation.We are booked at The Sheraton with transfers from Airport to hotel-hotel to port and upon return to airport.

You would think with the cruise industry being such a big part of Seattle's economy that there would be a shuttle service dedicated to just transferring cruise passengers back and forth from the airport at a cheaper rate than a cab. JMHO

We booked the Sheraton, too. I love the transfers---putting luggage out in the morning before breakfast, then not having to deal with it until it's in our cabin. I know it's more money, but we are saving almost twice that much by having an inside cabin.

We were on a cruise once where we shared a van to the pier with some people. They said it was crucial to watch your luggage and make sure it was picked up and put in those large bins, to be carried onto the ship. Apparently, sometimes the luggage is just left!! We won't have to deal with that.

Archived