Five Star Sail, Snorkel & Beach

Embracedbylife

Hi! Has anyone done the Five Star Sail, Snorkel & Beach tour through princess? We are planning on this tour and wondered if it's worth it? 5 hours, a little pricy, but we like the idea of being able to snorkel than go onto a beach to relax after. Would like to hear other's experiences!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you haven't given up looking for a response because yes, I have been on it. I would have to say it was the highlight of my cruise.

First we took a nice leisurely trip in the catamaran over to a cove for snorkeling. Although they had the sails deployed, they were also under power. They had to be to be able to make time, but it was still peaceful and relaxing. While the snorkeling wasn't the best I have been on, it was decent and just nice to get in the water.

Next we headed to a nice sand beach with a more festive atmosphere than on the way over. The Caribbean music, the rum punch, and local beer just set the mood. You can have a couple drinks or you can drink yourself blind. It's all included in the cost. And since the crew caters to a small group of people, the service is quick. Having a small group also makes for a less hectic experience. It's more of a relaxing party unlike the party cruises that jam as many people as they can on the boat.

When you reach the beach they break out the food. I wasn't expecting much, but there is nothing like home cooked Caribbean food. While it was simple fare, the unique spices made it an experience to remember. I never thought that chicken and potato salad could taste so good. While at the beach you can relax or even take a banana boat ride as there are vendors at the beach that offer these services.

After a nice time at the beach, they head back to the ship, but before they drop you off they take you on a nice tour of the waterfront of the town which I think is one of the most picturesque waterfronts of any Caribbean town.

I have been to Grenada before and never liked it. This tour changed my mind. If I ever get back there again, this is the tour I will take.

Thanks so much for your reply. We actually leave tomorrow and I cancelled our booking for this excursion because it was a little pricy, but now i'm going to play it by ear and might re-book it onboard.

We had decided to just leave our day open for Grenada and maybe take a water taxi to a beach. But if we find we didn't get enough snorkeling in at the other ports, it sounds worth rebooking!! Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

cleavelandsteamer ....

THANK YOU! You told us everything not included in the Princess despription we really wanted to know! We WILL do in in February!

Like you, we have been to Grenada many times and don't care much for the snorkeling there ... but we actually love the beaches and warm water. You've made the snorkel part sound painless. Probably, we'll just jump off and swim around a bit.

This excursion has the Princess C.R.U.I.S.E. Award. In the past I've found these to be very good.

Again, many thanks!

• 6 months later...

Just returned from being on the Emerald Princess, and did this tour, partially because of what was said in here.

I regret to say that i was MOST DISAPPOINTED with this excursion.

There are two parts to this excursion. The first is the snorkeling. I will admit, this part of the tour was great. The cove that we snorkeled in was great, the fish abundant, the snorkel guide well qualified and knowledgeable, and the trip over on the catamaran was enjoyable. If we had gotten off the boat at this point, the excursion would have been 2 thumbs up.

However we didn't. It might have been our fault, and maybe we misunderstood what was supposed to happen next. When something is called 5 Star, and costs about 100.00 a person, I expect it to be better than average.

Lunch was served, it was nothing special. Cold chicken and potato salad basically. I wasn't expecting a gourmet lunch, but I was hoping for something with a local flair.

And then we arrived at the "white sand beach". In short, it was a dump. We pulled up next to the Rum Runner Party boat, that had been there for a while it looked like. Rock music was blasting from the boat. We were told we had an hour on this beach, and if we wanted a chair, it would be 5 bucks extra. (Again, when something is called 5 star, and costs 100.00, A chair should be included).

The beach was dirty. (see attached pictures). We walked into the woods behind the beach and it was filled with litter and debris.

My final complaint would be with the captain of the ship. He was allowing, if not instructing, this one smoker to throw his used butts in the ocean. This particular guy must have gone through a pack throughout the trip, and it was very disheartening to my friend (who is a smoker, but collects his trash) and I.

I would recommend this tour to people that want to snorkel, and then party it up with rum punch afterwords, and for those that are not looking for pristine beaches and quiet and relaxing. It was not, however a tour for me.

P1000238.jpg.4c81a744e193a47c92e7bfe76b5401dd.jpg

img_7854.jpg.40fcf46c04b556b846399e0edf3e0c62.jpg

img_7853.jpg.e7d2d965ab36a1af903faebc46e9d689.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We took this tour about a year ago. It was a very relaxing, peaceful excursion with a lovely lunch served. It is not a party boat tour or anything like that. Beautiful scenery, nice (not super spactacular) snorkeling, and a very quiet beach where you will not be hounded to buy something. Lunch was actually quite good too.

Just returned from being on the Emerald Princess, and did this tour, partially because of what was said in here.

I regret to say that i was MOST DISAPPOINTED with this excursion.

The beach was dirty. (see attached pictures). We walked into the woods behind the beach and it was filled with litter and debris. .

We also just returned from taking this excursion on Grand Princess and were also Disappointed.

Our main problem was the Captain and Crew. All passengers were very nice and no one was being demanding. Yet, we were treated as if they were doing us a big favor to take us on this excursion. Some woman who had never snorkeled before was having troblem with her mask and ask for help. The crew member told her he had already demonstrated how to us it once. Some of the rest of us helped her. :(

The beach was all right with us because the water was at least very warm.

We had sort of expected to have to rent chairs. There were some straight ones for $3.00 ea. if all you wish to do is sit.

On ours we would have very much enjoyed MORE of a party atmosphere on the return trip. Not FUN at all! Enjoyed taking with others but that was it.

Not likely to do this one again.

We also just returned from taking this excursion on Grand Princess and were also Disappointed.

Our main problem was the Captain and Crew. All passengers were very nice and no one was being demanding. Yet, we were treated as if they were doing us a big favor to take us on this excursion. Some woman who had never snorkeled before was having troblem with her mask and ask for help. The crew member told her he had already demonstrated how to us it once. Some of the rest of us helped her. :(

The beach was all right with us because the water was at least very warm.

We had sort of expected to have to rent chairs. There were some straight ones for $3.00 ea. if all you wish to do is sit.

On ours we would have very much enjoyed MORE of a party atmosphere on the return trip. Not FUN at all! Enjoyed taking with others but that was it.

Not likely to do this one again.

Wow, it sounds like they've changed the tour since we went on it over a year ago. We were brought to a very nice beach with palm trees, but no chairs at all to rent or anything. The crew was really nice too.

It goes to show you that a lot can change in a year. Princess may have changed tour companies for this excursion. Thank you for posting your recent experience.

• 1 year later...
Wow, it sounds like they've changed the tour since we went on it over a year ago. We were brought to a very nice beach with palm trees, but no chairs at all to rent or anything. The crew was really nice too.

It goes to show you that a lot can change in a year. Princess may have changed tour companies for this excursion. Thank you for posting your recent experience.

Tracy ... Not your fault in any way. All of us who have cruised for a while know things can and do change. Hopefully, Princess will take note of this (no one on ours was happy) and find a better tour company for this tour once again.

Archived