When was your first cruise?

kkmonga

Mine was a honeymoon cruise August 1981 on the Carnivale. I remember one port of call was Samana Dominican Republic where we took a bus tour of the area. We got back to the ship but the other bus didn't. We sailed and half an hour out to sea we turned around and went back for the other busload of people.

My first cruise was on Sept. 19,2000 on the beautiful Royal Caribbean's Soverign of the Seas. Went to Nassau and CoCo Cay. FELL in love with that little island and while on the island FELL and broke my toe. LOL Also fell in love with cruising. Have been on seven cruises. My husband has been on five cruises We are booked on the Fantasy out of Charleston SC October 4, 2010.

I just say that I LOVED NCL. Still one of the best, if mot THE BEST cruise I have EVER had. The NCL "SEA" out of Galveston.

Sorry, Champ . . . my bad . . . I thought they stretched them all.:o I must reiterate, we loved that NCL ship and the itinerary. But, the TROPICALE was a cruising bargain at the time @ $600 pp locally out of San Pedro, so we tried Carnival and never looked back. Didn't even know that getting that many friends to go with us gave us one FREE pass plus I hit the craps table for over $600 the last night at sea, so, the whole thing was a push for us ! ! :) Both my ex and I cruise Carnival to this day (just at different times, of course):D

August 24, 1986 (Honeymoon) NCL Southward. Out of Miami. Great little ship. Around 300 passengers if I recall 17,000 tons. Miami, San Juan, Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, Nassau.

Mine was similar... April, 1988, NCL Seaward. Miami, St. Thomas, Guadaloupe, St. Martin, San Juan.... The ship seems very small compared to the giants sailing these days.

IP

My first cruise was October 1999 on NCL's Norway. Some of my cruise savvy friends at the time said " Oh yuck, Old Boat, cant you find a newer cruise ship? " My response was; " The price is right, and I travel with an open mind ". The cruise was wonderful. I did my homework, and new the ships history. I really loved this grand ship, and she is the one that hooked me on cruising. I was sad to hear what happened to her afterwards. I travelled with family on that cruise, and the only reason I have not cruised again with NCL is that they dont offer me a single rate that is acceptable to me. Ditto for Celebrity. But if my first cruise hadnt been so great, I would never have enjoyed my later cruises. So thankyou NCL Norway! Im hooked on cruising.:)

The Festivale out of San Juan in January of 1996. I had one of the few suites on that ship. The ship was not crowded at all. A huge North Eastern came thru and many people missed the boat. I just happen to fly out three days before. We were one of the last flights out that day. The airports closed for a few days after that.

In April of 1974 I sailed on the Song of Norway, RCI's very first ship! 18,000 tons, 800 passengers. with food and service that was unbelievable. It had tiny cabins though. We cruised to St Thomas, San Juan and Nassau. There were no private islands then. They had a charter flight from NYC to Miami, with all transfers and baggage handling included. The cost! $410 all inclusive except for tips! I've been on a few cruises since then.

Mark

Out of curiousity, how much were people paying for cruises back then? Also, you mentioned everything was free.....So it was all included....alcohol too? Like I said, i was just wondering, everyone always says cruises were expensive back then.

I paid 2900 in 1996 for everything. That was the 7 day southern cruise in a suite, 6 days in San Juan and flights.

May 2003-Victory, Our Honeymoon

We sailed the Eastern Carribean trip! We went to PR, St. Marteen and St. Thomas! Our families cruised with us and even though the Victory is huge, we could never seem to "loose" them on the ship...hehehe!

Now our daughters age 6 and 3 sail with us for the 1st time in just 19 days and we are looking forward to watching them enjoy their 1st cruise and pray that they love cruising as much as we do! :)

My first cruise was Dec 21-28, 1991 on the Holiday. We spent Xmas day in Grand Cayman and Boxing Day in Ocho Rios docked at the old Reynolds pier.

I cruise in a twin share cabin and had cabin U217....not good for late risers when getting into port or for those that don't like bunk beds....

Costa Mediterrenea for my nephews graduation present. Sister & brother in law had helped me when I returned to college for my nursing degree. this was my way of paying them back when my two nephews graduation. Took both our families and had a great time. Climbed Dunn River Falls, did Stingray Sandbar and visited Key West on both cruises. Have been addicted ever since.

Now I have grandchildren and the 3 year old is asking when does he get to go on the big boat like mom & dad. Hope it will be in the next year or two. Can't wait til I cruise Alaska:)

Archived