Southwest Luggage Checkin at Port?

skatie

I read somewhere that Southwest had someone outside the port building where we could check our luggage in so we didn't have to wait in line at the airport. Can someone tell me a bit more about this service? Where is it located? Cost? Will we be able to use it if our plane leaves at 11:30am? Thanks

Sorry, I cannot remember which airlines offer luggage valet service - I was wondering myself if Delta does. In the past we always flew Northwest and there was not luggage service for them but now that they are Delta they might. I will do some checking around and report back if I find anything out:)

jmf123 posted this on January 15:

Here is some additional info on the Luggage Valet program- In our Cruise Compass on the first day we received a letter (with a registration form on the back) for Luggage Valet. Your boarding passes are issued onboard the ship. Requirements to participate are:

*Must be a US citizen, with a valid US passport.

*All flights must depart (on the day of the ship's arrival back into port) between 11:30 a.m. and 11:59 p.m.

*The flight and all connecting flights must be with American, Alaska, JetBlue, Continental, Delta, AirTran, Northwest, United, and USAirways.

*Your departure flight and all other connecting flights must be with the same airline.

*Your flights must depart directly to the US (Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii included).

*The maximum number of checked luggage pieces per person is two.

The Luggage Valet fee is $20.00 per person. Airline luggage fee is applied to your SeaPass account.

United Airlines is the only airline providing this service that does not charge a baggage fee for Bag 1 or Bag 2. JetBlue doesn't charge for Bag 1, but charges $30 for Bag 2. Here are the remaining airlines and the 1st/2nd luggage fees:

AirTran: $15/$25

Alaska Airways: $15/$25

American Airlines: $20/$30

Delta: $20/$30

Northwest: $20/$30

Continental: $20/$30

US Airways: $25/$25

Hope this helps! Glad to see Delta on there but I do not see Southwest.

Southwest offered their own service just outside the terminal for Oasis. There was a lady coming around the baggage claim area when we arrived with a flyer advertising the service. I didn't keep the flyer so I don't have details, but I do recall they charged $10 per bag. We thought that was steep until we saw the 1 hour long line to check bags at SW curbside and even longer lines for bag check inside. We then wished we'd spent the $20 or $30 to use the service.

We saw the service yesterday outside of the port in FLL between the port building and the taxi stand. I did not know anything about the service or the company running it so we did not use it. I too an curious if anyone has used them.

I just did a search and here is the link to the program. http://www.southwest.com/help/offsite_checkin_faq_fll.html?src=RR_BTG_fall07

Since I have been snow bound for 3 days and am board, I looked up the current baggage prices for airlines participating in the RCL Luggage Valet program. Most of the carriers have recently changed their prices so the price may be different depending on when you bought your ticket. I only listed the prices for US travel since the luggage valet is not available to non US destinations. These are the current prices when you check in at the airport:

AirTran - $15/$25

Alaska Airways - $15/$25

American Airlines - $25/$35

Delta - $25/$35

Northwest - see Delta

Continental - $25/$35

US Airways - $25/$35

United - $25/$35

Southwest had it working Saturday morning but one of the agents said it was their first day trying it. (Don't know if he meant outside service totally or a new computer set up) but they were having problems and it moved pretty slowly. I have to question the wisdom of trying that on a day that the ships unload but hopefully they'll iron it out. We had plenty of time before our flight so it didn't really hinder us. I understand they were walking up and down the line and directing people to other places if they had an earlier flight.

We saw the service yesterday outside of the port in FLL between the port building and the taxi stand. I did not know anything about the service or the company running it so we did not use it. I too an curious if anyone has used them.

I just did a search and here is the link to the program. http://www.southwest.com/help/offsite_checkin_faq_fll.html?src=RR_BTG_fall07

Thanks for posting this link.

So much for Southwest not charging for bags :)

In addition to the $20 PP your flight must be after 11:45 and they don't open on Saturdays until 9:30. You also have to reserve it before the cruise.

Archived