More food....

Johnthed0g

On a discussion over on an American cruise line forum, people seem to order more than one of things off the dinner menu, several "appetisers" two/three Main courses. I have never seen this on P&O has anyone else seen this, we asked for more veg once!

On a discussion over on an American cruise line forum, people seem to order more than one of things off the dinner menu, several "appetisers" two/three Main courses. I have never seen this on P&O has anyone else seen this, we asked for more veg once!

I can't imagine anyone wanting to. Have you eaten on Arcadia?

We sailed on Legend of the Seas from Southampton a couple of years ago and they had 3 choices for each course, our waiter told us that Royal Caribbean limit their menu to 2 choices for each course when sailing out of the US because most American Passengers order the entire menu every night and lots ask for all the courses to be brought together!

I can't imagine anyone wanting to. Have you eaten on Arcadia?

I have been offered more than one main meal by the very attentive P&O staff.

But have always declined.

Although my wife has once returned a main meal she didn't like it and was replaced within 10 mins.

As for our only American trip on Princess, we went as a group of 6, one of our ladies liked her desserts, and after on the 1st night explaining she couldn't decide which of 3 of 6 desserts to have, was asked for her favourite 3 and all were delivered every night.

I am not saying this is the norm, but we had a fantastic waiter on Grand Princess.Who maybe not surprisingly had a very large tip.

I'd rather not name him but he was from the Phillipines, And without doubt the best Dining Room Waiter we've had in 10 cruises

Oh and by the way 8 have been on P&O

Carl

On our first Celebrity cruise (Med, summer 2006) we shared a table with a group of four older italian-americans (two couples) who had all been high school friends in New Jersey in the 1950s. One couple had moved away and lived mainly in Texas but the other couple had stayed in New Jersey and had taken over his father's butcher store and had run it for decades. (I gathered that they had to shut it when they retired - their own children weren't interested.) I also gathered that this butcher's shop had actually been pretty up-market - high-quality meat, poultry & game for good-quality italian-american cooking. Anyway - and I'm finally getting to the point - this particular chap had an interest in cooking, especially of meats, and he used to ask for small portions of several dishes that were on the menu to be brought so he could taste them, and this was done. In fact I recall that on at least one occasion he had a conversation with one of the chefs.

Other than that, I haven't seen people eat two meals in the restaurant. However I have seen people in the buffet late at night who I know had only got up from the table in the restaurant an hour or so earlier....

Only thing I've seen that allows any deviation from the menu is that you can ask for any of the main courses to be served as a starter. We found out on our last cruise on Oceana when we had one of the ship's officers on our table and he did it regularly.

Pete.

If there is something I like or if I can't make my mind up then (assuming I have space) I have no problem ordering an extra item. In fact anything with haggis or the beef wellington always get a second look in from me. Also Julie usually takes the sorbet (dessert) as a starter ... it is never a problem.

On one cruise, one of our table mates used to look at the menu and regularly tell the waiter to bring it to him ... everything. Why not? He loved his food and he wanted to try loads of different things he would not get the opportunity to try at home (or would not have normally ordered, for fear of not liking).

i have to admit to have had two main courses at one sitting. remarked to the waiter (on arcadia) can not recall which trip, that after choosing, that my wife had chosen something else which i also fancied! he did not bat an eyelid, gave me that also! did not make it a habit though! regards, mike:)

I have. It was the only ship I've been on that served my least favourite dinner, 'Quiksave Kitty Meaty Chunks With Absolutely No Meat In It'. Or that's what it looked like:eek:.

Sir Martin

You seem to be a Cunarder fan, why on earth are you here on the pando site ? Oh, I know its just to stir trouble.....I can't understand why you don't toddle off back to your chums on the Cunard part of this site?

The above quote from you is absolute tosh. 'Quiksave Kitty Meat chunks.'...what rubbish.

You did one pando cruise on Arcadia (wasn't it a short cruise 2n as well?) and come out with purile rubbish . OK what was the 'Quiksave? (Kwiksave?) Kitty Meat chunks supposed to be then?

I have had some lovely meals on Arcadia on my 3 cruises on her,also some average meals on other ships including the '5* Equinox, but I get a bit annoyed at your constant Arcadia bashing.....

We sailed on Legend of the Seas from Southampton a couple of years ago and they had 3 choices for each course, our waiter told us that Royal Caribbean limit their menu to 2 choices for each course when sailing out of the US because most American Passengers order the entire menu every night and lots ask for all the courses to be brought together!

I think he was winding you up. We sailed on Legend of the Seas about a year a go, and there were at least three choices for every course. In 14 cruises with lots of American passengers, I've only had one tablemate who routinely ordered two main courses every night, and ate them both. He was surprisingly slim for such a hearty eater!

Lisa

I think he was winding you up. We sailed on Legend of the Seas about a year a go, and there were at least three choices for every course. In 14 cruises with lots of American passengers, I've only had one tablemate who routinely ordered two main courses every night, and ate them both. He was surprisingly slim for such a hearty eater!

Lisa

I have been "chatting" on US line sites & it seems it is quite usual to order more that one of a course or several starters.

Archived