Conquest Time Zone Ship Time

sbnuggie

Howdy folks,

Well, bringing up an old subject about ship time, port times and time zones. I know, I know, from my experience last year in planning our trip on the legend this is a debated topic and a "thorn" in the side for us western carribeaner's during daylight savings time. I need to know as I plan independant excursions and they often quote "port times" and I need to know how different the ship time will be. I pretty much have all the tools available to me so that I can figure out what time it will be in port but I don't know what time is actually kept on the Conquest. I did the requeset search and the closest post I could find was from two years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774268&highlight=conquest+time

In response number 4 the helpful poster detailed how during the cruise the time on the ship changes during the Daylight Savings Time period, but alas, the post was from two years ago. So I was wondering:

1) During our cruise in May, what time will the conquest use for ship time?

2) Does the Conquest change times during it's cruise during the period of Daylight Savings Time.

Thanks all in advanced and sorry for the wierd title but I wanted people in the future to be able to search for this answer.

PS-Please no replies about "sticking to ship excursions and you won't have to worry about it"....thanks.

Both times I have been on the Conquest they changed the ship's time to match local times, both eastern and western Itins. AND with two different captains, but I gather that the Conquest has a new captain now as Massimo is now on the Dream, i think....so as it is the Captain's final decision....who knows.

Howdy folks,

Well, bringing up an old subject about ship time, port times and time zones. I know, I know, from my experience last year in planning our trip on the legend this is a debated topic and a "thorn" in the side for us western carribeaner's during daylight savings time. I need to know as I plan independant excursions and they often quote "port times" and I need to know how different the ship time will be. I pretty much have all the tools available to me so that I can figure out what time it will be in port but I don't know what time is actually kept on the Conquest. I did the requeset search and the closest post I could find was from two years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774268&highlight=conquest+time

In response number 4 the helpful poster detailed how during the cruise the time on the ship changes during the Daylight Savings Time period, but alas, the post was from two years ago. So I was wondering:

1) During our cruise in May, what time will the conquest use for ship time?

2) Does the Conquest change times during it's cruise during the period of Daylight Savings Time.

Thanks all in advanced and sorry for the wierd title but I wanted people in the future to be able to search for this answer.

PS-Please no replies about "sticking to ship excursions and you won't have to worry about it"....thanks.

This is purely information I've gathered from other cruisers. The Conquest will keep to Galveston's time zone, so when daylight savings occurs it will occur for the ship also. I will be sailing March 14th, so after that I can tell you for sure. This will mean that Montego Bay will be one hour ahead of ship time and Grand Cayman and Cozumel will be the same as ship time. Time Zone stuff is so confusing and the daylight savings is, too.

This is purely information I've gathered from other cruisers. The Conquest will keep to Galveston's time zone, so when daylight savings occurs it will occur for the ship also. I will be sailing March 14th, so after that I can tell you for sure. This will mean that Montego Bay will be one hour ahead of ship time and Grand Cayman and Cozumel will be the same as ship time. Time Zone stuff is so confusing and the daylight savings is, too.

Actually Grand Cayman will be in the eastern Zone as well.

I will be sailing March 14th, so after that I can tell you for sure. This will mean that Montego Bay will be one hour ahead of ship time and Grand Cayman and Cozumel will be the same as ship time.

Uh....I think you might be wrong for your cruise:

Jamaica does NOT observe DST is set too EST year round:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=120

Cayman Island does NOT observe DST and is set too EST year round:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=377

Cozumel is in CST time zone and does observe DST but does not convert until April 4th:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1235

Sooooo, for your cruise, assuming that Conquest sets it's clock to CDT and keeps it that way for the duration of the cruise then arrival is:

Jamaica = EST which is the same as CDT thus ship time and island time is the same.

Cayman Islands = EST which is the same as CDT thus ship time and island tims is the same.

Cozumel = CST (until 4/4/10) thus ship being on CDT will be one hour behind Island time.

Ha! Clear as mud huh.......

So you see, it's important to see if they set ship time and and leave it, its easy to figure out the time in the places you are going thanks to the internet.

Yes, but they do not observe Daylight Savings Time, so when the US goes ahead one hour US Central time will be the same as Grand Cayman time. See what I mean about confusing!

yep very confusing, but like I said, We actually switched ship time to match port time, we sailed the Western Itin in Feb 08. We had Mardi Gras night on Tuesday, then switched our clocks ahead for Jamaica, left them there for Grand Cayman, and then rolled them back on the way to Coz. I suppose if GC doesn't follow DST, then you roll back on the way there?

Uh....I think you might be wrong for your cruise:

Jamaica does NOT observe DST is set too EST year round:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=120

Cayman Island does NOT observe DST and is set too EST year round:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=377

Cozumel is in CST time zone and does observe DST but does not convert until April 4th:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1235

Sooooo, for your cruise, assuming that Conquest sets it's clock to CDT and keeps it that way for the duration of the cruise then arrival is:

Jamaica = EST which is the same as CDT thus ship time and island time is the same.

Cayman Islands = EST which is the same as CDT thus ship time and island tims is the same.

Cozumel = CST (until 4/4/10) thus ship being on CDT will be one hour behind Island time.

Ha! Clear as mud huh.......

So you see, it's important to see if they set ship time and and leave it, its easy to figure out the time in the places you are going thanks to the internet.

Woohoo I'm glad to hear about Cozumel then, that means we'll get to Nachi Cocom earlier their time than I thought. We're not even getting off the ship in Jamaica, so I couldn't care less what time their on, LOL. The only one I was ever really concerned about was Grand Cayman, which the excursion provider cleared that one up for me. Time Zones are a pain in you know what. Then they throw DST into the mix and it is so confusing, but now I know exactly who to come to for my problem! Thanks!

yep very confusing, but like I said, We actually switched ship time to match port time, we sailed the Western Itin in Feb 08. We had Mardi Gras night on Tuesday, then switched our clocks ahead for Jamaica, left them there for Grand Cayman, and then rolled them back on the way to Coz. I suppose if GC doesn't follow DST, then you roll back on the way there?

Wow, how in the world does anyone keep up with all that?

ahhh, see I screwed up, The island will be one hour behind the ship, in other words 10 am CST is 11 am CDT, so if Conquest arrives at 10am CDT it is actually 9am on Cozumel (CST, prior to 4/4/10).

Ok, hope I don't confuse people even more... last January the Conquest changed times to match ports. This past January, she stayed on Galveston time the entire cruise. Excursions hosts in all 3 ports were very good about reminding you of the difference. We had purchased a small travel alarm clock (WM) that was about the size of a cell phone. We kept that with us in port, that way we always knew the correct ship time.

I even set the alarm in case we lost track of time while shopping before heading back to the ship.

We love the Conquest! Will be back on her for a 3rd time 10/10/10.

Happy Cruising!:D

Ok, hope I don't confuse people even more... last January the Conquest changed times to match ports. This past January, she stayed on Galveston time the entire cruise. Excursions hosts in all 3 ports were very good about reminding you of the difference. We had purchased a small travel alarm clock (WM) that was about the size of a cell phone. We kept that with us in port, that way we always knew the correct ship time.

I even set the alarm in case we lost track of time while shopping before heading back to the ship.

We love the Conquest! Will be back on her for a 3rd time 10/10/10.

Happy Cruising!:D

great idea

we'll be back on the conquest on 9-26-10

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

Just doing a friendly little bump, hoping some recent returnee's from Conquest since DST has kicked in can give me a firm answer:

Does Conquest set it's clock to Galveston Time (Central Daylight Time) and keep the ships time the same during the entire cruise?

Thanks a bunch

YES, finally found my answer from two recent cruisers and surprisingly enough...Carnival (They usually don't answer this question). Conquest is currently sailing with its time set to Galveston time and is kept on that time during the duration of the cruise. So Central Daylight Time is the answer.

• 1 month later...

This is so confusing! I just got off the phone with Carnival and the girl had to put me on hold and ask a supervisor...her answer was different! *grrrr* She said the ship always changes to the port's time. So 7 am would be 7 am...but now I see that nobody really knows??? lol

We are going to be on the Conquest 10/17/10 and arrive in Grand Cayman at 7 am. Our tour is at 8:15 am Grand Cayman time.....I don't want to book until I make sure that I am going to be there on time.

Based on my research and from recent cruisers the ship stays on Galveston time during the entire cruise, which is Central Daylight Time for your cruise (DST does not end until 11/7/2010). So, 7am arrival of ship time is the same as island time since GC is on Eastern Standard Time and does not observe DST.

I leave in a week and half, I will report back my personal observations but based on what I found, I scheduled a private excursion in GC and have to report at 8:15am GC time which will be the same as ship time, so I have 1hr 15 min to get ashore. For your cruiseon 10/17/2010:

Cozumel = Is on CDT thus ship being on CDT ship time and island time is the same.

I would sure appreciate it sbnuggie! I am thinking that we will be on the same time as well. I don't know why the ship would change to anything else beside Central time.

You wouldn't happen to be booking with Stingraysailing would you? That is what we are booking, if I can just be sure of the time! lol

Have a FANTABULOUS CRUISE!!!

I was on the CONQUEST last year, May, for my birthday and am so JEALOUS!!!!

I love that ship!!! :)

And yes... we stayed on Galveston time to whole cruise and I just used my watch, rather than local time, to be sure I was on board on time!!

Archived