Carnival pools ARE in fact chlorinated...

mistyinca

There was a thread started mid-January where someone asked why diapered babies weren't allowed in the pools.

The thread morphed into a discussion about Carnival not chlorinating the pools, which I thought seemed like it might not be true. So I asked John Heald about it. He gave his response today and asked that it be added to "the thread thingy." Unfortunately, I cannot locate that particular thingy :).

Here's the question and response:

Misty Asked:

John (please reply),

Over on Cruise Critic, there has been a discussion lately regarding babies not being allowed in the pool. As with most forum discussions, the thread has taken some twists and turns, but something that came up in the discussion was the issue of (lack of?) chlorination in the cruise ship’s swimming pools. It has been stated, in that thread, that the pools on the Carnival ships are not chlorinated. I find that hard to believe, considering how easy it would probably be to have a salt water chlorine generator work its magic on the incoming water. I know that all the water on the ship comes from the ocean and goes through some purification processes, but I’d like to know if it is true that there is nothing added to the pools and spas for sanitation purposes.

Thank you,

Misty

John Says:

Hello Misty

Thanks for taking the time to write about this. The reports on Cruise Critic is wrong. We do indeed chlorinate our pools at the levels determined by United States Public Health and these levels are strictly monitored onboard. As for babies in the pool, we do have a rule that states that children must be potty trained (no diapers, even swim diapers).

I hope this helps and please can I kindly ask that you add this to the thread thingy over on Cruise Critic.

Best wishes

John

Sea water...Salt water is by definition chlorinated. It's why it is salty FTLOG. Many home pools and an increasing number of new pools are chlorinated with salt, salt at far lower concentrations than sea water.

The chlorine level that would be sufficient to kill e-coli in poop would certainly burn probably severely a young child's skin. It would burn an adults skin. Kids in diapers should never be allowed in a public pool as matter of public health.

Sea water...Salt water is by definition chlorinated. It's why it is salty FTLOG. Many home pools and an increasing number of new pools are chlorinated with salt, salt at far lower concentrations than sea water.

The chlorine level that would be sufficient to kill e-coli in poop would certainly burn probably severely a young child's skin. It would burn an adults skin. Kids in diapers should never be allowed in a public pool as matter of public health.

I certainly agree with you about the diapers. But I just want to clarify that I posted to clear up the misunderstanding about the pools and chlorination--not to re-open a debate about diapers and the pools.:)

Archived