Rio's street crime NOT getting any better.

greatam

Great Celle. I am glad you are having just a terrific time.

I have just contacted a local private tour agency, and I think I have got a good price. I have got the airport transfer included in the fare.

I am thinking about changing to the Sofitel instead of the Othon Palace.

• 1 month later...

We spent two weeks in Rio over New Years 2009-2010. We had no problems and had a wonderful time. But we had a great guide and felt safe with him everywhere. We went to many typical Brazilian places.......not for tourists.......... and really saw the local color. We cruised down the coast on the Insignia and Rafa, our guide, met our boat at each port......even Ilha Grande.......... an island park where he rented a boat for us and we went snorkling in the beautiful waters....... You can reach him at donrafainrio@yahoo.es.... We were in good hands and it made our cruise!! from Robi1

We've just returned from Rio and Star Princess repositioning cruise. Spent 5 nights in Rio prior to the cruise. Reading all the stories about crime in Rio scared the daylights out of me. We stayed at an apartment in Ipanema. Wore no jewelry, no purse, my digital camera in my pocket. Upon arrival we walked from Ipanema all along Copacabana to Leme, then back into Copa, did some supermarket shopping, took the metro back to Osorio. We used public transportation to Sugar Loaf, Niteroi, Botanical Gardens, Leblon. We explored downtown. No muggings, no pickpockets, no unsavory characters. We used public transportation, did not take any taxis, got addicted to caipirinhas, and walked for miles. Life is a beach in Rio.

We want to thank Rafael Torres, guide extraordinaire, his sidekick, Marcone and Julie and David from Arlington, Va for sharing that wonderful day with us.

One disappointment, though, Christ the Redeemer covered in scaffolding. Oh, well, my visa is good for 5 years...

I worked in Rio for 2 years in the early 1990s and currently reside in northeastern Brazil and have visited Rio several times. My wife is Brazilian. Yes, the crime is bad. Yes, it's worse in the poorer areas, where the drug gangs are. Yes, tourists are occasionally affected, mainly robbery (vs. murder). Note the article is from Carnaval, when there are lots of tourists, many boozed up, and more thieves than usual looking for easy pickings. I imagine you won't be out nightclubbing into the wee hours. I do walk in Rio, including in the centro (not at night), and along Ipanema and Copacabana (I think Ipanema is a bit quieter and safer), making sure I stick to well-lit streets, and don't carry more than I can afford to lose. I see no need to sit hostage in one's hotel room, but yes, be cautious. Take taxis. Don't flash money or, cameras, consider leaving your purse behind (take what you need while you're out and leave the rest in a hotel safe). A group tour that picks you up at your hotel and drops you off there adds an element of safety. How can anyone answer a question like "how safe is . . "? It's not a numerical scale. If you're concerned, I wouldn't encourage you to go out where you're not comfortable, but hopefully you can at least get in a tour. Pao de Acucar is generally safe (stick with the group). I certainly would not walk in the forest around Corcovado alone. Besides, the last I heard Cordovado was covered with scaffolding for renovations. There are some excellent restaurants, as well. It's a beautiful city (well, maybe not at this moment due to the floods). I enjoy being there but am cautious.

I have just returned, and despite the scaffolds in the Cristo, I just felt in love with Rio and the whole country. I took the necessary precautions, but I didn´t have the slightest problem. Well, not quite. I went to a nightclub in Barra de Tijuca. Sorry I can´t remember the name. We drove back quite late at night but with locals. I found them to be quite relaxed. Of course during the night they lock the car doors, usually don´t stop at the traffic lights and so on.

I walked alone along downtown, along Copacaba during the day with just my camara into a plastic bag and the money distributed in several pockets. Also a copy of the passport. Nobody came to me in a suspicious way. I took a cab to Pao de Azucar, returned to the hotel, and had a lovely dinner at the Astoria Restaurant overlooking Botafogo.

I do know crime is present, but my experience was quite good. I even didn´t find any substantial threat in Lihna Vermelha. On the contrary someone got into our bus in Salvador, but actually couldn´t find anything. I will go back, just loved the city and want to see the Christ with no scaffolds. Thanks to all who helped me.

I will be in Rio just for a day in 2 weeks time (second port of call on my repositioning trip). I've read all the warnings about not having valuables with me. i was thinking of getting a taxi to Ipanema from the port and then walking to Copocabana. I'd prefer not to do a ship's excursion (absolutely hate them) and a private guide would be very expensive as I'm travelling on my own. Hopefully I can share a taxi with some other passengers, but if I can't.

1. Are taxis plentiful in the prot and realtively "safe" to use?

2. From other posts here it seems not too dangerous to wlak around Ipanema and Copocabana - what's your view?

3. How easy is it to find a cab in Ipanema/copocabana to get back to the ship?

I have seen plenty of taxis outside the terminal, and a booking booth. I walked to and fro in Copacabana at about nine in the morning and a short walk with locals to Lagoa de Freitas which is fairly far, and I didn´t feel particularly unsafe. There were tourists, people jogging, plenty of pedestrians. I just walked with a tshirt, jeans, and a pair of jogging shoes. No camara, no bag. Just two amounts of moneys in different pockets (one into the belt). I have seen some police cars along Copacabana.

As far as taxis are concerned, taxis are usually waiting outside the main hotels (and in Copacabana are quite a lot of them), or called by the hotels. I didn´t take any taxi as I had private drives.

In any case, I was concerned about danger, not obsessed with it and had a fantastic time.

I mean arriving unorganized and finding a private car. I didn´t mean regular tours. As far as I know the hotels usually have "private contacts" as "private taxis", to be contacted as tourists arrive.

What about the airport drive?. Did you find it threating?. There are reports about problems in this route.

Reports? How many? From who? People on busses or driving private cars or in taxis? The only problems I ever heard of were busses, and only late at night, in the tunnel going into Copacabana (taxis going from the airport to, say, Ipanema would likely bypass this part, anyway). Some high-end hotels have meet an greet services (likely contracted), but they can be expensive. Licensed metered taxis are reliable, but if you want to play on the safe side, and not have to worry about a metered taxi in front of the airport, you can take one of the "radio taxis": flat-rate taxis you book at one of their kiosks inside the airport, either right past Customs or in the main terminal hallway. I think you can pay by credit card. You know your fare when you book (tips are appreciated). More expensive than a metered taxi but for some it's worth it. I would certainly not hesitate to walk along the beach, especially Ipanema (generally a bit quieter and safer than Copacabana, at least along the main beach drag). Just don't carry more money than you need on your walk. Leave the purse, and maybe even your camera, behind in the hotel (put valuables in your hotel safe). Take taxis to restaurants that aren't real close to your hotel. You can't bank on an organized tour being ready just when you want one. They have set times. Full-day tours leaving maybe 8 or 9, half-day tours in the morning or after lunch. If you want a private guide, you can set the time but you need to organize in advance. Ask your hotel for more info.

I will be in Rio just for a day in 2 weeks time (second port of call on my repositioning trip). I've read all the warnings about not having valuables with me. i was thinking of getting a taxi to Ipanema from the port and then walking to Copocabana. I'd prefer not to do a ship's excursion (absolutely hate them) and a private guide would be very expensive as I'm travelling on my own. Hopefully I can share a taxi with some other passengers, but if I can't.

1. Are taxis plentiful in the prot and realtively "safe" to use?

2. From other posts here it seems not too dangerous to wlak around Ipanema and Copocabana - what's your view?

3. How easy is it to find a cab in Ipanema/copocabana to get back to the ship?

1. Sterns and Amsterdam Sauer jewelry stores in the terminal often provide free transportation, van or taxi, to their stores in Ipanema. Just seek out the jewelry store in the terminal if there is not a big sign offering free rides. They will take you back to the terminal for free as well. No purchase required. Taxis are plentiful near the port and relatively cheap and safe to use. Make sure they use the meter.

2. It is not especially dangerous to walk around any streets in Copacabana or Ipanema during the day. Avoid streets that are near favela entrances ( you will usually be able to eyeball them) which are devoid of other pedestrians.

3. It is very easy to find a cab to take you back to the ship if you opt not to avail yourself of the free transportation provided by Sterns or Amsterdam Sauer. Expect it to cost about R$ 30-32 from central Ipanema to the port.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Sounds like my plan is going to work out. I'll leave everything valauable onboard. Hide a credit card away somewhere (in case I get tempted at Sterns!) and just carry a bottle of water and some tissues in a small carrier bag.

Stella thans for the tip about the free transportation - although it may not work out so free with my love of jewellry!

• 1 month later...

...and it can be dangerous if you do silly things or are not street savvy. But for the most part you are fine. Tourists who get robbed in Lapa or Barra Tijuca or Copacabana usually are drunk (or high as marijuana and cocaine are plentiful) and not really paying attention to their surroundings. Those folks, and no offense to them, aren't very bright in my opinion. For instance, on one occasion there was a story about a fellow from the US who was robbed and nearly beaten to death in Rio... in a park... late at night... after drinking in that park... which was opposite a favela.:confused: I myself would be more surprised if he didn't get beaten and robbed. Here is my top 10 things to keep in mind while in Rio in order to stay safe:

1) Avoid wearing jewelry at night.

2) Do not give ANY money to the large groups of children who come up to you begging. They are typically trying to pick your pocket. Instead, place your hands in pockets and tell them sternly, "No" as you keep walking.

3) Avoid carrying lots of electronics with you. If you want to carry a digital camera, you're fine, but do not leave it unattended. Instead, keep the carry strap attached to you, preferably on your wrist.

4) Avoid heavy drinking in clubs/restaurants. Make sure you have your wits about you.

5) Do not wander down side streets in non-touristy areas.

6) Do not got to the park or the beach after dusk.

7) Only carry the cash that you need and not large sums when out.

8) Get a map of the areas you want to be in and know the main streets so you don't violate rule #5.

9) Try to use cash whenever possible but if you use a card, make sure you keep the receipt as I have noticed not all the credit card slips truncate your number.

10) Taxis are plentiful in the club areas (Barra Tijuca, Lapa and Copacabana mainly). However, make sure the taxi has a metre or make sure you agree on a fare before you enter the taxi. They are notorious for inflating fees.

The people of Rio are wonderful and the city is beautiful. However, just like here in the States, if you aren't careful in a city you can become a statistic sorrowfully. Just keep your wits and you will be fine. ;)

• 9 months later...

I've spent a good deal of time in Rio, mostly Copacabana, and muggings are fairly common. As in a lot of South American cities, the police seem to go home at night. The daytime is much safer.

I was in Barcelona for only three days in May 2010 and on a very quiet residential street in the very early evening, a guy pulled the old bird droppings trick. And, he was so smooth that for a moment--just for a moment--I thought he was a good Samaritan. Turned out that the bird had been eating chocolate ice cream.

I have lived in Rio for over 7 years. The reports of street crime are exaggerated. The Breitbart article failed to give comparative stats. Bear in mind that Rio is a city of approx 6MM people. Street crime does exist, and the number of purse snatchings may be comparatively high to other major urban areas, but most of the violent crime takes place within the favelas where tourists seldom go. Most people do not have a good handle on the true extent of crime against tourists here. If one uses common sense the chances of becoming a statistic are relatively the same in RIo as they are in Madrid, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, or many other metropolises.

During carnaval the city is full of tourists so street crime may spike, but that is to be expected.

I had a wonderful few days in Rio post our cruise a year ago. When I asked the manager at the Copacabana Best Western how safe the area is he put it succinctly - "Like any big city there are areas you do not want to go into and if you put on a display of wealth then you are will be targetted. The beach promenade is beautiful and safe at all times, do not go onto the beach itself at night and stay out of dark areas."

I had no issues at all during my stay and thorougly enjoyed the hospitality of the people of Rio. I stayed in the tourist areas unless a taxi or bus took us on a guided tour.

Whether it is LA, New York, Toronto, London or Rio, if you wander around dangling bright shiney things for people to admire the unfortunately there is likely to be someone who wants it.

Archived