Denrus tour

M&T

I contacted most of the tour companies and specified a tour with minimal walking because my husband walks with a stick.We found Denrus very rigid and have decided on Anastasia becuse she was able to make suggestions or adapt their standard tour to what we wanted.I was also impressed with SPB and a private guide called Masha who was recommended on these boards.in the end Anastasia just seemed the best "fit "

best of luck with whoever you go with

Lyn

Wow, our experience with DenRus was exactly the opposite! I let them know that I walk with a cane and am slow, especially up steps. They planned very carefully with me, left plenty of time in important venues, were very patient with me when there were stairs to climb and walks to make (no ADA in Russia!), and in fact our guide was very clever at using my cane to get us past lines and into places the easy way! We really thought that DenRus was the perfect choice for me with my limitations.

Interesting how perceptions vary.

• 4 months later...
This past summer, we emailed all of the major tour companies except for SPB. The two that responded immediately were Anastasia and TJ Travel. The rest said to contact them in 2010 and we felt that they were not interested in our business. Though we were leaning towards TJ Travel, the others in our group from our roll call thought we should go with Anastasia because they have been around a little longer and were more well known. Both were very responsive to our questions. We have been to the Baltic twice before and we figured out an itinerary that would please us and the others who have never been. Anastasia was happy to go along with what we wanted. We are so looking forward to our two days with Anastasia. We have only taken the cruise line tours in the past with mixed reviews.

What was your itinerary?

We used Anastasia in Russia and Denrus in Berlin. Our Anastasia experience was great and we had zero (other than for a quick snack) downtime. In Berlin, I'd say we had a good time, learned a lot, loved the city, but the guide could have been a little more energetic as far as personality.

One thing we ran into, for Denrus we actually had to pay when we booked the tour and it was billed to our credit card in US$ - I think they were in Florida. For Anastasia, we paid when we got on our tour (you can use cash or cc but they charge a small fee and you have to fill out the form in advance).

• 2 weeks later...

I booked the 2 day St. Pete 'value excursion' with DenRus during my Baltic cruise two years ago. It was indeed good value, being $100 cheaper than the cruiseship's identical excursion. It was very well organized, making full use of the two days. Our guide, Elena, was extremely professional and knowledgeable. Her English was good too. I especially liked the headphones that were super clear and allowed for safe wandering from the group.

I have recommended DenRus to friends and they have had positive experiences as well.

We used Denrus back in 2009 for their custom tour and they were wonderful. We were on the Brilliance of the Seas for a 12 night Baltic capitals and St. Petersburg cruise. The people we worked with were very helpful in helping us prepare an itinerary that satisfied the wishes of our group. They even scheduled our lunches so that we did not spend a lot of time at lunch.

We requested a guide named Anna as we had read other reviews that recommended her and she was outstanding. Her knowledge of the city as well as the Soviet Union and her expertise in art made us all appreciate the experience that much more.

One thing that we did was keep our group relatively small, only 17 of us. I posted on our board about organizing a tour and had many responses. The coach they provided us was a twenty five passenger one so we were very comfortable. I have recommended them often to others going to St. Petersburg.

We toured at the end of August beginning of September(last cruise of the season) so did not have the massive crowds that they have in the summer and I would recommend that time of year to anyone choosing the Baltic.

Archived