Upsell/Upgrade Fairy....I Believe....Please come Visit.

carribeansol

Before I start......Please know I don't expect anything for free.

Because there were no quad balcony cabins (not suites...can't afford one) I booked a catergory D ocean view cabin on the Noordam. I realize I have to deal with this cabin if we don't get lucky.

We love balcony cabins. We spend a lot of time watching the ship come into port, DH smoking a cigar, kids (old enough) hanging out while I get dresses, eatting reakfast, relaxing with a drink, etc....

My TA placed us on a waitlist for every balconey on the ship. I understand that means the upsell/upgrade fairy will have to visit someone already booked in a balcony and free up the room. Then for it to have been a quad and come visit me.

Has anyone ever had luck with this?

My cruise will not be ruined, but it will not be as enjoyable as I hoped. I will not be mad at HAL because I choose to book this. The truth is I have tried to find a balcony quad on every ship for spring break. NO ONE had one.

We are leaving on March 25th and sure hope to get a visit. I AM WILLING TO PAY!!!!!!!

I read every post of the 18 page upgrade thread. I rejoiced with every CC'er as they got their upgrade and felt the sadness for those who did not.

Upgrade/Upsell fairy.......PLEASE HEAR MY PRAYERS!;)

As we shiver with loads of snow and temperatures in the teens, we'll take your cabin if you don't think you'll enjoy the cruise enough, and you can watch our kids for the week! :) Isn't any cruise better than no cruise? Enjoy, and just think, if you're "stuck" in the outside, then you won't have to worry about dropping your camera overboard when taking photos!

No worries! We will enjoy the cruise. I have just becomed spoiled. Once you go with a balcony you never want to go back. Or at least that is my opinion.

We played with all the options, putting the kids in their own room, us taking the double balcony.....I just could not do it. At 10 and 12, I dont think they are ready for it.

Although we live in sunny South Florida, the stress of work this past year has been VERY high. We are ready for a vacation. We just hoped it would include hanging out on our own baclony.

Thanks for the offer! I am sure we will NOT be taking you up on it. However, we could use a house sitter for the 10 days. It is only a 20 minute drive to the beach!:D

My sister and I were booked in an outside midship cabin on the Noordam this past Nov and 2 weeks prior to departure we were offered an upsell for $200pp to a balcony and we jumped on it :D It was awesome!!

Good Luck, and anything is possible;)

Jess

• 2 weeks later...

WOOT! I am very happy for you, those quad balconies can be hard to get because people desperately want them. I had a family on an Alaska cruise who were willing to pay for the moon if they could get upgraded from the ocean view quad to a balcony quad. It sadly never happened for them, but they DID enjoy Alaska.

No worries! We will enjoy the cruise. I have just becomed spoiled. Once you go with a balcony you never want to go back. Or at least that is my opinion.

We played with all the options, putting the kids in their own room, us taking the double balcony.....I just could not do it. At 10 and 12, I dont think they are ready for it.

!:D

I don't think they allow that, anyhow. I believe I've read on here that there's a minimum age.

This afternoon several passengers on the upcoming Rotterdam cruise, 33 days, Hawaii/South Pacific, departs 03/08/2010 were notified that the cruise was overbooked and if they gave up their cabin they could sail on the Prisendam, 54 days, roundtrip Ft Lauderdale, Med Cruise, 03/24/2010 plus get a $1500 refund

Oh My !

This afternoon several passengers on the upcoming Rotterdam cruise, 33 days, Hawaii/South Pacific, departs 03/08/2010 were notified that the cruise was overbooked and if they gave up their cabin they could sail on the Prisendam, 54 days, roundtrip Ft Lauderdale, Med Cruise, 03/24/2010 plus get a $1500 refund

Oh My !

Wow! I may have had to take that offer. That is hands down the best upgrade I ever heard from the upgrade fairy.

I don't think they allow that, anyhow. I believe I've read on here that there's a minimum age.

If the cabin is directly across or next to you they will book kids 13 or older. Otherwise, one adult and one child gets booked in each room. Once you are booked, you can sleep anyway you want. (HAL representives told us to do that.) There are just too many factors with that including muster stations, strangers, etc...... I just don't think I am ready for that even though my oldest will be 13 in a week. I am not worried about them so much as other things. They are great kids.

Its funny, we really enjoy spending time with the kids on the cruise. The balcony give us just a little more room to move.

We had to book 2 staterooms because we are a family of five for our Med. in May. My husband is booked in an interior with our 2 boys, ages 19 and 17. I am booked in a VD with our daughter age 10. It certainly would be cheaper if there were rooms that accomodated 5 but in any case it would probably be a bit crowded :rolleyes:. Even though we could change the room situation when we get on board we are not sure yet if we are going to do so. It may be girls in the balcony and boys on the inside! :D My daughter thinks that would be great fun :D:D

diane

Hi,

we are also a family of 4. Been cruising since our boys were 2 and 4. Back in the day we used to book a suite and open the sofa bed for the boys. Obviously, once they got to be almost 6' tall, that didn't work. Now we book an SA for us, and an inside across the hall for them. Up until last year (they are now 19 and 17), we still had to cross-book and put on paper one parent and one child in each room. But the front desk was great about swapping out keys/cards once we got on board. I think we waited until the boys were about 14 and 16 before we got the separate cabins. Unless we would have been willing to sleep one parent with one child, I would not have been comfortable doing this with them any younger. They love to make midnight ice cream runs, or pizza in the wee hours, that kind of thing. They are great kids and I trust them completely, but you still can't be too careful.

Paula

Archived