Snorkeling on your own...

tgr2387

I Haven't really found a good snorkeling tour(not looking for sting ray city), but I noticed on GCCE website they have a few locations that you can walk to by yourself.

Has anybody been to any of these locations by yourself? Eden Rock and Devil's Gotto, Wreck of the Cali, Cheese Burger Reef, or Wreck of the Gamma. Any of these places worth going to? I'll have my own equipment so that won't be a problem.

Or are there any tours your recommend?

Check out the first sticky at the top of this forum page. It list some of the beaches and snorkeling sites. We took public transportation to Cemetary Beach and snorkeled from shore. It was ok, but not the best. I have seen good reviews on the Cali and Eden Rock.

When you get off the tender turn right and walk about 10 minutes, less if you walk fast. First Eden Rock sign is at a bar called Paradise with a blue roof. Many stop there but I prefer Eden Rock Dive Center - another three minute walk. You can google their web site.

Be sure to ask the people at the dive center to point out the buoys that mark the reef. While you'll see some fish right off shore, the best snorkeling is over the reef - about 100 yards from shore. The swim is not difficult.

We've been down to Sunset and thing the snorkeling is better at Eden Rock. Sunset has nicer facilities and a great bar with some fantastic fish dishes for lunch, but it is about a mile walk, 2 to 3 times further, along a road without much sidewalk at points. The snorkeling there is better than the Eden Rock area close to shore, but the Eden Rock reef is much nicer that the other areas down by Sunset. We left sunset after lunch and stopped at Eden Rock on the way back to the ship and there was a huge difference.

I have read that snorkeling is decent at Eden Rock, Devils Grotto, Wreck of the Cali, Wreck of the Gamma and Cheeseburger Reef. Can you share your experience at any of these locations or any other good locations in Grand Cayman?

Eden Rock is great see my post above on this and where to go. Devils Grotto is adjacent with the same entry point. Ask the guys at Eden Rock Dive Center to point out the Buoys that mark the area.

Eden Rock is great see my post above on this and where to go. Devils Grotto is adjacent with the same entry point. Ask the guys at Eden Rock Dive Center to point out the Buoys that mark the area.

Here are some photos and a link to info on the area:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Other/Eden-Rock/11278386_ow3jP#791308240_rbvzE

• 2 weeks later...

Archived