P&S Help buying new camera

vegasgirl702

Hello, I am a novice and most of your specifics go way over my head.

I need suggestions for a P & S and here are my main "wants"

1. Takes "better" pics in low light, ie museums, indoor cruise ship areas, etc

2. Can take sports pics (Fast Shots), when my son is playing sports

3. Price range under $400, even better $300

4. Okay pls don't slam me but want a colored camera (prefer pink):p

Have had in the past sony, panisonic, & still using a pink casio;)

EASE of USE is also important!

Some suggestions I have had:

Fuji S200EXR

Canon SD 880 IS

Added: My husband wants to buy a SLR but I know I will not carry it around. He tends to overbuy when it pertains to electronics.

So after reading about 2 months worth on this Photo Discussion Thread I have "learn much already"!

I will have my DH read your suggestions since he used be in photography --- hobby during his college days (abt 20 years ago):D

Thanks!

Hello, I am a novice and most of your specifics go way over my head.

I need suggestions for a P & S and here are my main "wants"

1. Takes "better" pics in low light, ie museums, indoor cruise ship areas, etc

2. Can take sports pics (Fast Shots), when my son is playing sports

3. Price range under $400, even better $300

4. Okay pls don't slam me but want a colored camera (prefer pink):p

Have had in the past sony, panisonic, & still using a pink casio;)

EASE of USE is also important!

Some suggestions I have had:

Fuji S200EXR

Canon SD 880 IS

Added: My husband wants to buy a SLR but I know I will not carry it around. He tends to overbuy when it pertains to electronics.

So after reading about 2 months worth on this Photo Discussion Thread I have "learn much already"!

I will have my DH read your suggestions since he used be in photography --- hobby during his college days (abt 20 years ago):D

Thanks!

You are asking a LOT from a simply camera. Maybe in about another 4-6 years an entry camera can start approaching giving you quality on all the fronts you are hoping for, but for a compact P&S you will get good results in good light, but once you go to flash, low light or need quality in museums things will go out the window. Not to say pictures will be bad but less the professional or for much beyond 4x6. But that is already an amazing thing for these little wonders. I find this site the best summary of good cameras: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

If it is a DSLR for entry Dave's are good ones.

Personally if I was to spring for a P&S it would be the Casio EXILIM EX-FC150. It does some pretty amazing things for a pocket camera. I had a Casio in the past it was a favorite of mine till I broke the screen. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EXFC150/EXFC150A.HTM

Happy shopping and shooting

If it is a DSLR for entry Dave's are good ones.

Personally if I was to spring for a P&S it would be the Casio EXILIM EX-FC150. It does some pretty amazing things for a pocket camera. I had a Casio in the past it was a favorite of mine till I broke the screen. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EXFC150/EXFC150A.HTM

hello! Thanks for your insight - I currently have a Casio Exilim but it is about 3 years old now. I do luv the ease of use. But somehow have a big chip on the screen & "feel" it's time to update.

Happy shopping and shooting

You might consider a look at the Sony HX5, TX1, or TX7 cameras (HX5 is a compact with a bigger zoom range, TX1 is a super-small pocketable camera, TX7 is a slim camera in between the TX1 and HX5 in size).

Each of these cameras has a few tricks that might help with some of the needs you mentioned:

1. They can shoot up to 10 frames per second for sports - 10 frames in 1 second, 5 frames per second for 2 seconds, or 2 frames per second for 5 seconds.

2. They have slightly improved higher ISO performance compared to other small sensor cameras, allowing better performance in low light.

3. They have the super-trick Twilight mode, which takes 6 shots in less than a second at high ISO for shooting in low light, combining all 6 shots together into 1 shot - the stacking method increases detail and reduces noise that usually result in high ISO use, and can approach DSLR level noise results.

4. They have an anti-blur mode, that uses the highest ISO of 3200, shoots 6 frames at a fast shutter speed, and stacks the 6 frames into 1 so that any areas not moving gain increased detail and low noise, while anything in motion is only kept from 1 frame so that it doesn't blur when it moves.

These are all easy cameras to use, with nice LCD screens, should be at or near your price range, and do come in some colors (I have a blue TX1 myself!).

You might consider a look at the Sony HX5, TX1, or TX7 cameras (HX5 is a compact with a bigger zoom range, TX1 is a super-small pocketable camera, TX7 is a slim camera in between the TX1 and HX5 in size).

Each of these cameras has a few tricks that might help with some of the needs you mentioned:

1. They can shoot up to 10 frames per second for sports - 10 frames in 1 second, 5 frames per second for 2 seconds, or 2 frames per second for 5 seconds.

2. They have slightly improved higher ISO performance compared to other small sensor cameras, allowing better performance in low light.

3. They have the super-trick Twilight mode, which takes 6 shots in less than a second at high ISO for shooting in low light, combining all 6 shots together into 1 shot - the stacking method increases detail and reduces noise that usually result in high ISO use, and can approach DSLR level noise results.

4. They have an anti-blur mode, that uses the highest ISO of 3200, shoots 6 frames at a fast shutter speed, and stacks the 6 frames into 1 so that any areas not moving gain increased detail and low noise, while anything in motion is only kept from 1 frame so that it doesn't blur when it moves.

These are all easy cameras to use, with nice LCD screens, should be at or near your price range, and do come in some colors (I have a blue TX1 myself!).

Wow! I was looking at the sony actually. But here's my questions:

I had a sony ( in 2006) but didn't like that I could only use Sony memory cards is that still the case?

Wow! I was looking at the sony actually. But here's my questions:

I had a sony ( in 2006) but didn't like that I could only use Sony memory cards is that still the case?

TheTX7 and HX5V can use SDHC cards as well as MS-PRO Duo. Sony has bowed to the fact that MS is no longer one of the dominant formats and has started offering alternate memory card formats (SD/SDHC or CF) in their higher-end cameras.

Dave

Exactly...SDHC cards are coming into many of the newer Sony models. Don't forget two things though that shouldn't keep you from buying a camera based on the memory card: 1. You actually don't have to buy a Sony memorystick for Sony cameras - several other third part manufacturers market Memorystick Pro Duo cards - Sandisk, Lexar, Transcend, and others. And 2. Memory cards are so cheap nowadays that they really aren't much of a reason to avoid a camera. With 8 GB cards going for $20 or less, it doesn't seem worth letting that decide what $250-300 camera you should buy!

Thanks for the clarification on memory sticks!:D

My husband is now looking to buy 2 cameras. My son is using a SLR at his school's newspaper. He is now interested in having :confused:his own camera. He mentioned that casio has 6 new exilim models and is interested in the z400 model (I think that was the no).

Any insights on that one?.........

Archived