Captain`s dinner

refman

No, they did away with the picture taking and handshakes with the Captain before HiNi came along. They have a cermony called the Captain's toast. Anyone that wishes goes to the main lounge for a drink and the Captain and 3 or 4 of his senior officers toast the assembled group. Take care.

The Welcome Aboard hand shake and photos with the captain has been gone for years.

The doors open to the show lounge about 15 minutes before the main show -- you have a choice of champange, red or white wine. After about 10 minutes the Captain is introduced and he talks about a minute and introduces a few officers. Some captains still introduce the employee of the month.

In my mind Norovirus was more the cause of cutting back on the hand shaking than H1N1. In fact, the last reception we went to was on the Veendam and it was the "elbow touch" which, while I understood it, all seemed a bit strange and awkward. That was three years ago.

The last hand shake we did was back in 2006.

I just checked my notes -- we were on the Volendam for back-to-back cruises.

The first cruise (Oct 24th) we had the regular Welcome Aboard hand shake and photo with the captain and you could also get any drink you wanted -- free.

The second cruise (Nov 3) they started the new Captain's Toast.

The last hand shake we did was back in 2006.

I just checked my notes -- we were on the Volendam for back-to-back cruises.

The first cruise (Oct 24th) we had the regular Welcome Aboard hand shake and photo with the captain and you could also get any drink you wanted -- free.

The second cruise (Nov 3) they started the new Captain's Toast.

Take care of the Noordam for us next month. You'll be leaving the ship on the same day we embark. This wil be our 2nd sailing on the Noordam.

Archived