Book Skagway Car Rental Last Minute?

spangnash

Does anyone know what are our chances of being able to get a rental car in Skagway last minute? We'd like to book a glacier dog sledding 'tour' out of Skagway, but realize the chances of that getting canceled are quite high. If it does get canceled, we were HOPING our plan B would be to rent a car... does anyone know of what the chances are of getting one last minute? I realize there is no way to know for sure, but if we know there is a very small chance, I know to look for a different Plan B! (I've tried to call Avis and they just keep reiterating that I should book one in advance, but they cannot guarantee that there will not be a cancellation fee if I cancel last minute. They haven't been very helpful.)

(Our cruise leaves Vancouver on August 27th, putting us in Skagway on September 1st.)

Thank you-

Angelia

Does anyone know what are our chances of being able to get a rental car in Skagway last minute?

Near zero in the morning, but cars often become available after 1pm when people get back from their drive.

Sorry to be a drag, but the reality is that at time of the year, the odds of your dog sledding being cancelled are extremely high.

Does anyone know what are our chances of being able to get a rental car in Skagway last minute? We'd like to book a glacier dog sledding 'tour' out of Skagway, but realize the chances of that getting canceled are quite high. If it does get canceled, we were HOPING our plan B would be to rent a car... does anyone know of what the chances are of getting one last minute? I realize there is no way to know for sure, but if we know there is a very small chance, I know to look for a different Plan B! (I've tried to call Avis and they just keep reiterating that I should book one in advance, but they cannot guarantee that there will not be a cancellation fee if I cancel last minute. They haven't been very helpful.)

(Our cruise leaves Vancouver on August 27th, putting us in Skagway on September 1st.)

Thank you-

Angelia

Why not just book a car from Avis as a back-up? They don't require a deposit or anything and if your other excursion goes as planned, you can call Avis that morning and cancel your reservation which would make it available for someone else.

The dog sledding on the glacier tours were cancelled on my wife twice before she finally got one on the third cruise!

However, she was offered the opportunity to change to a glacier landing flight at a different site. Often there are places where the weather is better than at the dog camp. So that is sort of a Plan B and 1/2 ...

Since the rental price for a car in Skagway is not really very much, even if they charge you a 100% cancellation fee it might be worth while to go ahead and book it. Another possibility is that the train MIGHT be available on short notice, or you MIGHT find an independent operator to take you over the pass.

Worst comes to worst, the Yellow Streetcar Tour is almost always avaialble at the dock and you can do that and then enjoy walking around Skagway and maybe even take in the Days of 98 Show.

For some pics of options in Skagway Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#skagway

Have a GREAT cruise!

When you travel, stuff happens. You go with the flow.

Archived