compare beaches

beach gramma

Would like input from anyone who has been to both Paradise Beach and Playa Palancar. I know that this might be like comparing apples to oranges and that Palancar is quieter and Paradise has more kid's stuff but what about food, seating area, bathrooms etc. So I guess I am wondering on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate them? We are going to rent a Jeep so should we try both or will that be too rushed?

Would like input from anyone who has been to both Paradise Beach and Playa Palancar. I know that this might be like comparing apples to oranges and that Palancar is quieter and Paradise has more kid's stuff but what about food, seating area, bathrooms etc. So I guess I am wondering on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate them? We are going to rent a Jeep so should we try both or will that be too rushed?

PB Tom runs a nice place with good food, drinks and service. They have plenty of chairs, the place is clean and well kept. They also have water toys for the youngsters. If you need info or would like to take a boat snorkel trip Tom can make arrangements. The place can get a little crowded at midday.

Playa Palancar is a little more laidback, but has nearly the same amentities. Food and drinks are comarable to PB. They have a snorkel boat on site. Try their shrimp fajitas. Loved their hammocks.

Both beaches are mostly sand with a few rocks in some areas. Shore snorkeling isn't much at either place. It would be easy to visit both.

I would give them both 7's when crowded and 8's when there are only 3 or 4 ships in port.

We were at Paradise Beach two weeks ago. We have been going there for years and always had a great time there. This time it was quite different. The place was packed. We got there about 11AM and were seated about 5 rows back. With all of the blue beach umbrellas, we could barely see the water. Kids everywhere. I would now recommend this as a great place for families, but if a bit of peace and quiet(relatively speaking), this isn't the place. I feel badly, as I have always enjoyed this spot, but it has certainly changed. Not bad, just different. I doubt we will go back. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I too am leaning toward Planacar because our time on the island is 11-7 so by the time we get our jeep and get there it will be noon or past and I'm afraid PB will be packed by then. It's on a Wed and I think many ships will be in port that day. I was only considering PB for our 11yr old grandsonbut I think he will enjoy the other beach also.

PB Tom runs a nice place with good food, drinks and service. They have plenty of chairs, the place is clean and well kept. They also have water toys for the youngsters. If you need info or would like to take a boat snorkel trip Tom can make arrangements. The place can get a little crowded at midday.

Playa Palancar is a little more laidback, but has nearly the same amentities. Food and drinks are comarable to PB. They have a snorkel boat on site. Try their shrimp fajitas. Loved their hammocks.

Both beaches are mostly sand with a few rocks in some areas. Shore snorkeling isn't much at either place. It would be easy to visit both.

I would give them both 7's when crowded and 8's when there are only 3 or 4 ships in port.

We want to go snorkeling, Which beach would you recommend if you only give these a 7?

Thanks

We want to go snorkeling, Which beach would you recommend if you only give these a 7?

Thanks

Hey Spanky,

I didn't mean to imply that a mere 7 was bad. You must realize that a 10 is a myth, and a 9 is nearly nonexistant.

If I wanted to snorkel from shore I would pick Chankanaab park, Dzul Ha (Money Bar now) or possibly Playa Uvas. (We haven't done Uvas yet but it is in the same area as the other two.) In 9 trips to Coz, Chank is the only place that we have done twice. If you want better snorkeling than these places you need to book a boat trip out to one or more of the reefs.

We had a great day at Playa Palancar. They are farther from the ships so they don't get as crowded as many of the beaches. They offer a boat trip for around $30pp. We had only 8 people on our boat.;)

Archived