Private Tour of the Island?

dznymom

Okay, I will be back in Nassau next week. I have been there quite a few times and have done Atlantis a few times, Blue Lagoon, Carriage Ride (poor horsey), Pirate Museum (loved it)Fish Fry (yum), Cabbage Beach (3 times and I don't even like it there :o) and most recently, the Hilton (thumbs up). Even with all of that, I don't really feel like I have seen the island. Can anyone recommend a driver that would give us a nice tour of the island (not including downtown) with a couple of interesting stops and a maybe a nice lunch stop?

Okay, I will be back in Nassau next week. I have been there quite a few times and have done Atlantis a few times, Blue Lagoon, Carriage Ride (poor horsey), Pirate Museum (loved it)Fish Fry (yum), Cabbage Beach (3 times and I don't even like it there :o) and most recently, the Hilton (thumbs up). Even with all of that, I don't really feel like I have seen the island. Can anyone recommend a driver that would give us a nice tour of the island (not including downtown) with a couple of interesting stops and a maybe a nice lunch stop?

Ask for OTIS when you get out to the taxi queue. He's a great guide.

As him for a tour and lunch at Travelers Rest.

Ask for OTIS when you get out to the taxi queue. He's a great guide.

As him for a tour and lunch at Travelers Rest.

Thanks Scubagirrl, we will definitely do that. Do you have any idea what we would expect to pay? If he isn't available, is there anyone else we might ask for? I have to admit the taxi queue is a bit intimidating in Nassau!

I forgot to mention that we don't get into Nassau until 11AM, so it will probably be close to noon before we get off the ship. I am guessing Otis would already be off on a tour from the early ships, and I am wondering what might be the best strategy to catch him assuming he does more than one tour a day.

I am really hoping this works out, as I did a bit more research and he gets rave reviews :) and DH is really liking the idea.

We did this Taste of Nassau Island Tour, it was really great. Our guide was Joe, a super nice man, very knowledgeable about the Island. The tour took us to the historic sites, the greycliff hotel, atlantis & it included lunch at the arawak cay & it was only $30.00pp. We felt like we got a really good tour of the island & some teriffic bahamian food. http://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauIslandTour.htm

We did this Taste of Nassau Island Tour, it was really great. Our guide was Joe, a super nice man, very knowledgeable about the Island. The tour took us to the historic sites, the greycliff hotel, atlantis & it included lunch at the arawak cay & it was only $30.00pp. We felt like we got a really good tour of the island & some teriffic bahamian food. http://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauIslandTour.htm

Did you guys feel safe? I have read about safety against muggers, pickpockets, etc. How was the Fort?

We'll be there in May on the Explorer of the Seas

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it is appropriate to respond to my own post but I wanted to mention a couple of things now that I am back.

First thing is when I asked a few drivers about OTIS they told me Otis wasn't there but they were available. I wasn't buying it, so we asked a few more with no luck. Finally near the end of the area, one driver said we had missed him and that he was back aways. Well, I decided I liked this guy just fine, and I wasn't about to go back searching.

So, we went with Gerard. He is a heavy set guy (that day he was wearing a winter jacket and hat and I was wearing shorts and a tank top. I am not sure which of us was the crazy one as it was around 60 degrees :p), and has a small van as well as a larger vehicle that he uses for handicap tours. He spent time mapping out a route with us, and rolled with us when we kept telling him we wanted to skip most of the places he mentioned. He gave us extra time, made several stops for us including a liquor store (gotta have my Kalik) and a local place for lunch. He showed us places we hadn't seen before and shared lots of local stories and information. We felt like we made a friend that day, and we will definitely look him up the next time we are in Nassau!

We really had a fun day and I have his info if anyone is interested.

Not sure if it is appropriate to respond to my own post but I wanted to mention a couple of things now that I am back.

First thing is when I asked a few drivers about OTIS they told me Otis wasn't there but they were available. I wasn't buying it, so we asked a few more with no luck. Finally near the end of the area, one driver said we had missed him and that he was back aways. Well, I decided I liked this guy just fine, and I wasn't about to go back searching.

So, we went with Gerard. He is a heavy set guy (that day he was wearing a winter jacket and hat and I was wearing shorts and a tank top. I am not sure which of us was the crazy one as it was around 60 degrees :p), and has a small van as well as a larger vehicle that he uses for handicap tours. He spent time mapping out a route with us, and rolled with us when we kept telling him we wanted to skip most of the places he mentioned. He gave us extra time, made several stops for us including a liquor store (gotta have my Kalik) and a local place for lunch. He showed us places we hadn't seen before and shared lots of local stories and information. We felt like we made a friend that day, and we will definitely look him up the next time we are in Nassau!

We have a private tour booked with an online agency in May. I would appreciate any good points on what you seen on your tour. I know we want to go to Atlantis as my mom has never been there before and we want to see Blackbeards castle.

Our tour time is four hours.

• 2 weeks later...
We have a private tour booked with an online agency in May. I would appreciate any good points on what you seen on your tour. I know we want to go to Atlantis as my mom has never been there before and we want to see Blackbeards castle.

Our tour time is four hours.

We are going to Nassau on April 27th on the NCL Jewel. My husband is large and we don't like being in crowded tours. Can you let me know the online company you booked with? Sounds interesting.

We are going to Nassau on April 27th on the NCL Jewel. My husband is large and we don't like being in crowded tours. Can you let me know the online company you booked with? Sounds interesting.

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/PrivateIslandTours.htm

I did ask them that if you have less than six and are willing to pay the full price that they will still do it.

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/PrivateIslandTours.htm

I did ask them that if you have less than six and are willing to pay the full price that they will still do it.

Thanks for the info. I had found that company. That is a little high for 2 of us. It would be nice if we could find another couple. (maybe also not very active :-) )

We are already booked on the NCL discover atlantis tour, but that worries me because of the walking.

Hi dznymom,

Just read your post and I have sent an email off to Gerard to inquire about his tours.

I was wondering if you could provide a few more details about your tour. Where did you go?

Did you stop for lunch? How many hours did you tour? And what was the cost.

Thanks

We are going to ask for Otis but can I get the info for the one you used? Can you tell me what he charged you? Thank you!!

Archived