Azura on Sea Trials

Captain Rhone

I see Azura has started her sea trials...finally. I know in Ventura's case she did them in November and delivered in March so was surprised they have waited so long here. Currently she is spending time in dry dock in Trieste before going out for another run and then back to the yard in Monfalcone. You can follow her progress > http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=235075758

And a photo, not very clear > http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1067931-AZURA

It was a good deal for Xmas & New Year, will be a holiday of a lifetime for us, & possibly our last big cruise. We hope that Azura will be more traditional than Ventura & have more to do than smaller ships, we have found evenings a bit "samey" on say Arcadia.

As Azura is virtually identical to Ventura, I suppose it will go through the same abuse as Ventura, block of flats etc, so nothing new or original there. As has been said re Ventura, those who have booked, will be travelling on her, not being towed behind her, so its whats on the inside that really matters!!!:eek:;):D

Well said Sue, i shall be on Azura in July and i too hope she is more traditional than Ventura although i enjoyed my cruise on her in 2008 that had a few minor irritations.

By the way i hpoe you enjoy Azura's 1st days.

Martin.

Is there any reason to suppose that she will be?

That's how she is being promoted, as far as I see, not being directly targeted at families. We are hoping for a cruise with more to do & more choice of dining, hopefully with a degree of sophisication.

That's how she is being promoted, as far as I see, not being directly targeted at families. We are hoping for a cruise with more to do & more choice of dining, hopefully with a degree of sophisication.

sophisication indeed. Get you!

(I'd prefer sophistication myself, but then I am an old fart...)

Quite!

Wouldn't it be nice if P&O got proper ships once again instead of these barges?

:)

Keep up! P&O are replacing Artemis with Adonia - a tiny ship in May 2011...

Adonia will be the smallest of the seven ships within our fleet.Designed to offer a wonderfully intimate cruising experience, she will radiate small ship charm. Stepping on board will be akin to returning home; there will be a comfortingly familiar feel to your surroundings with experienced P&O Cruises officers and crew on hand to look after your every need. Due to her small numbers – she carries just 710 passengers – Adonia will be incredibly sociable and within no time at all, you’ll be surrounded by friendly, familiar faces. An adult-only ship, Adonia will travel far and wide, exploring ports the larger ships of today are unable to visit.

Keep up! P&O are replacing Artemis with Adonia - a tiny ship in May 2011...

I know. I have been on Tahitian Princess (another R ship) and she is lovely. I have said for a few years now that one of the R ships would be an excellent replacement for Victoria. The only downside is the lack of speed. I daresay that if P&O sort out their food problems, then I will be a passenger aboard Adonia.

However, that does not address the propensity toward barges. It would be nice to see a bit of individuality and a new vessel appearing that looks as if designed by a Naval Architect rather than a bean counter.

I see Azura has started her sea trials...finally. I know in Ventura's case she did them in November and delivered in March so was surprised they have waited so long here. Currently she is spending time in dry dock in Trieste before going out for another run and then back to the yard in Monfalcone. You can follow her progress > http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=235075758

And a photo, not very clear > http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1067931-AZURA

Thanks for the photos Captain Rhone.

We will be on the Inaugral, and from your photos have pinned our stateroom. Woopee can't wait!

It is the clients that have demanded hotels at sea, with most people wanting a sea view nowadays

I am sure we will all have a great P & O welcome as always!

It is the clients that have demanded hotels at sea,

I disagree. I believe that the bean counters have decided what we are going to get whether we like it or not. The only exception to that in recent years is Queen Mary 2, and Stephen Payne even had to compromise there.

Hee hee, I have to agree with a lot of things on here.

Yes to ugly - so is Ventura.

we are on Azura in September so i won't be looking at her backside, just planning on enjoying a new ship and what she has to offer.:-)

We hope to be on her backside watching places disappear!

Archived