I have to ask Disney Vs. X with kids

etc1etc1etc1

I have cruised numerous times on X and love ships and crew, last year we took our kids on RCCL (yuck) and just thought that if we were going to cruise with kids (4-7) disney was the way to go. I see a lot of threads regarding kids and X. If anyone has sailed on both I would love your opinion as we are getting ready to book a 2011 cruise with the whole family.

I have to say, if you go with Disney, don't worry at all. I am a bit of a cruise snob and had very high expectations for Disney. that being said, they really impressed me (and I am not even a fan of children to be honest). Either way know that you will have a good time.

I have cruised numerous times on X and love ships and crew, last year we took our kids on RCCL (yuck) and just thought that if we were going to cruise with kids (4-7) disney was the way to go. I see a lot of threads regarding kids and X. If anyone has sailed on both I would love your opinion as we are getting ready to book a 2011 cruise with the whole family.

how are the childrens programs on X - ive had a few posts on here but no real answers.... thanks!

I've been on Disney Magic and Celebrity Infinity. If I were a 4 to 7 year old kid again, I'd vote for Disney. Nobody does kids better.

I have been on both cruise lines and have taken my son on both (Disney when he was 7 and Celebrity when he was 14). For a cruise with kids the age of yours, you cannot beat Disney. You just can't --- the kids will love it.

Celebrity does what it can for the little ones -- I have seen the camp counselors busy with taking the kids all over the ship for various projects -- but overall Celebrity just doesn't have the allure for kids that the Disney ship will.

As an adult, I also liked the Disney ship/cruise. If it is just me cruising without my son, of course I would cruise Celebrity. (Also at the age he is now, my son would also choose Celebrity). But still I had a fine time on Disney even though it is geared (generally) toward the younger crowd.

Disney! You and your kids will have a great time.

Thank you for this thread it's very interesting. Well, I thought I might add my feedback. I haven't cruised with X, but I have cruised with Disney, Princess, and Carnival--Disney and Princess with kids. You just can't beat Disney, the shows are wonderful, the activities are great even dinner has a lot of special features for children, your children are the perfect age--mine were a little older and things like the princesses and Mickey were no longer real, however I still rank our Disney Cruise as one of the best...the entertainment excedes everyone, they also have a movie theater that shows movies for kids, a really fun sale-away party and when we went we had a pirate party-it was a blast. There is one down side and I feel like I have to mention it, the one thing that we found upsetting was other people kids who were misbehaving or left unattended--there is a fair share of crying, screaming brats. I feel like my children have been taught how to behave in public and several times my daughter turned to me and asked-"Mom why are those kids acting like that?" And also partying parents-but hey--you get that on almost any cruise.

Would I cruise Disney again? Absolutely-my kids are teenagers now--so I probably won't cruise Disney again till I have Grandkids. But they are worth the price and live up to their reputation.

Happy cruising.

CoffeequeenJ

;)

Took my kids on a Disney last year when DD was 7 and DS was 5 and they loved it! We did 4 days in the park and 4 days at sea package and it worked out well. This year I am taking them on Solstice in April and then on NCL Epic, the new ship that has the tie in with Nickolodean. I gave them the option of Disney again or the Epic and they both immediately wanted to go on the Epic. the fact of the matter is that all these cruise lines typically do a fine job with kids. They have to or else the parents will not come back. This will be our first cruise on Celebrity but I am sure they will have a great time. I will write a report when I return on the kids programs.

Another vote for Disney! I have not sailed on X yet...I will in May. But I have sailed a few times on RCCL and Disney is a step above for sure. I have taken 3 disney cruises and one was without the kids. It has an elegant old cruise line feel. You can't go wrong with Disney and kids. Plus the kids clubs are amazing!

Jenn

We've sailed both many times, including when my kids were the same ages. They loved both kids programs. We love both cruiselines, but we hate the premium Disney charges so we haven't been back.

One of the real differences is the amount of space (and why) devoted to the programs. Disney's facilities are wonderful and expansive, but need to be in order to accomodate large groups of kids. Some kids (mind did) might find X less overwhelming as the program is smaller. They get a little more personalized attention.

You can't beat Disney's Castaway Cay for a private island. Dining on board is quite entertaining with switching restaurants each night (you keep the same servers). Too bad the food, while good, isn't as interesting.

It's worth it to take the kids on Disney just to give them a week to hang with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy. The cruise really is geared toward the children, but there is plenty for the adults too.

For many it doesn't matter, but remember also that you can pretty much do two cruises on other cruise lines for what you will pay for Disney....

Not quite. Prices are typically 30 to 50 percent more on Disney. However, some cruise itineraries are not that much more. Our Caribbean cruise two years ago was almost the same price as several of the competition. By watching for specials you sometimes may find cruises where kids cruise for free, which makes it a very good bargain for how much they provide these free passengers.

We sailed multiple trip on both lines. Disney gets our vote. We are booked May 2011 on the Dream and can't wait! Prices are reasonable if you can sail outside of peak season. We had to book a mini-suite on Caribbean Princess to equal the standard veranda cabin on Disney, so be sure to compare apples to apples if comparing pricing.

Castaway Cay is second to none. There is a family beach with great snorkling and beach floats. etc. Also an adult beach that is heavenly.

In my opinion..I would definately, without a doubt, choose Disney. Just be prepared to pay more. But you will find it is definately worth it!!;) The kids will have a ball and so will you!!!:)

We have sailed Celebrity several times and brought our then 6 y.o. son on two cruises last year, the first was Celebrity's Solstice and the second was the Disney Wonder.

My son found the kids' club on the Solstice not terribly entertaining and the programming not particularly good, either. I thought at the time that maybe my kid wasn't a kids' club kind of kid. But then we did Disney... he was in the kids' club all the time... the space is decorated so captivatingly for him, the programming there was terrific... and my husband and I felt so super that we had him in a secure space and were reachable via a pager should we be needed. And the biggest surprise? Disney was great for us grown-ups, too! I anticipated hoards of unruly kids everywhere... but didn't find that to be the case at all. My son would be very happy to return to Disney and, frankly, we wouldn't be upset with the idea either.

However, Disney is EXPENSIVE! And a recent change making Disney's age groups more flexible may serve siblings well but I liked it much better when my 6 y.o. was with others around the same age... now on Disney he could be with younger and older children during a particular activity. That makes their kids' club a potentially wild, potentially overwhelming experience.

We decided to try our luck with Celebrity again, this time on a port-intensive So. Carribean trip on the Summit. I am expecting he won't be thrilled with the kids' club or programming this time either, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I'm sorry to hear the original poster didn't like RC... we're deposited on that for December of this year as we thought we would give that line and its kids' program a try... but maybe we'll rethink that as we've got lots of time before a commitment is called for.

Can't answer yet but will soon

Have done DCL 4 times with the kids -- now off to Century for 5 days - no kids with us this time - but I plan to assess the situation - then I will post

IMO - DCL cruises have been the best family vacations we ever took -Those rare trips when everyone gets to enjoy it - very relaxing and just a wonderful vacation in every way

Having said that - DCL prices are out of control so we are checking out the other options

Archived