Where To Enjoy A Cigar on Royal Clipper

Freespirit5372

Booked for March 6 on the Royal Clipper.

I have an occasional cigar for relaxation and enjoyment but do not want to bother other folks. During the winter at home, I know which bars have great ventilation systems so noone minds. So where on the Royal Clipper can I enjoy a cigar in peace, where the ocean winds will not blow ashes onto my face or burn it up at 3x rate. I read a post that said people smoke at the Tropical bar but were a little careful to say a cigar was sort of OK....not really clear. Never smoke in a vehicle or house.

Thanks.

Jim

I have an occasional cigar for relaxation and enjoyment but do not want to bother other folks. During the winter at home, I know which bars have great ventilation systems so noone minds. So where on the Royal Clipper can I enjoy a cigar in peace, where the ocean winds will not blow ashes onto my face or burn it up at 3x rate. I read a post that said people smoke at the Tropical bar but were a little careful to say a cigar was sort of OK....not really clear. Never smoke in a vehicle or house.

Thanks.

Jim

For some reason ... I seem to recall they said pipe & cigar smokers should use the Main or Sun decks all the way aft.

Enjoy!

the reason the poster said "sort of ok" is that even though they are allowed in certain locations (they will tell you exactly where) this is a small ship and frankly, the cigar smoking reaches almost everywhere. this is especially true in the tropical bar where it was nearly unbearable for me (a non-smoker) to go for any length of time. although it is outside, it is covered and holds all the smoke in, especially cigars.

steve

Thanks.

Jim

Please please, no cigars in the Tropical Bar. It is practically untolerable from the cigarette smoke and a cigar would really be awful! I personally think Star Clippers should ban smoking in the Tropical Bar as it is the area where most organized activities occur, and some passengers have to miss them because they cannot tolerate the smoke.

thank you for being considerate and asking rather than just lighting up anywhere. You should be fine on the open decks (smoking isn't allowed on the aft deck because of fuel storage), but if you sit down next to someone (this will happen during the day, not likely after dinner) it would be great if you could ask if they mind if you smoke. Smoking is "allowed" in the Tropical Bar but as other posters have mentioned, in the evening they put down "flaps" to keep out the wind and it basically becomes an indoor room -even the cigarettes drove us away (and yes, we missed the only evening entertainment on the ship because we would not put our health at risk). There were a few cigar smokers on our ship and most were considerate... found a quiet spot out on deck after dinner and didn't bother anyone. However one fellow repeatedly plunked down on a lounge chair amongst many others and puffed away, clearing out the whole area... he was not a popular guy.

why are you so apologetic about enjoying your cigar? There are very few places that smokers can actually enjoy their smoking without being made to feel a pariah. The majority of places on board ship are non smoking. I suggest that all those who object to cigarette/cigar smoke go to the vast proportion of the ship that is non smoking and leave the smokers in peace. (from a non-smoker)

Good feedback to all, appreciate it. Must be serious stuff, did not see much candor. And for the Brit, I was not apoligizing, read more carefully....just being considerate. I actually consider anyone that hasn't experienced a fine cigar...not enhaling....is missing out.....like a fine wine. Now cigarette smoke doesn't smell so good unless it is an Indian spice cigarette and poor cigars also smell awful. My wife has bad allergies and I always fine a place that doesn't drift her way, so I would treat all ship passengers the same way. But anyone ever gives me criticism for smoking a cigar and the smoke isn't going their way, they better be ready for cannons to mind their own business.

Can't stand cigarette smoke, but for the most part the tropical bar was OK. I did have to move upwind several times but all in all it was fine. Plenty of time when the ship is not moving to have a nice smoke up top under the stars/sun

Enjoy, it was the best vacation of my life.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has a serious allergic reaction to any tobacco smoke. Cigar smoke is especially troublesome.

On numerous occasions we have had to leave activities in the area of the Tropical Bar because of tobacco smoke. Too bad we can't all enjoy the entertainment without being forced away because of a few. Banning all smoking at the Tropical Bar and the surrounding area would please us enormously.

However, if you must smoke, wherever you are on the ship, please posistion yourself down-wind from your neighbors so they may also enjoy their cruise.

I smoked a few cigars while on our March 6-13 cruise when underway. I just found a location on the maindeck where the smoke carried away from anyone around. However it was unsatisfactory because the wind was too much for good smoking enjoyment plus could not light it well using a flame lighter instead of my normal torch propane one (not allowed on flights), had to crouch behind some structure. Bought two nice Cubans, a Montecristo and a Cohiba, which are now in the humidor conditioning for a special smoke this year on the front porch. Only saw one other fellow with a cigar also on the main deck, none in the tropical bar area, and cigarette smoke was never a problem in the bar area.

Archived