Oasis presentation

1980dory

We just attended a presentation by RC on the Oasis of the seas. We were really amazed at the size of the ship and particularly the passenger capacity of 5400. I've lived in towns that were smaller than that and am having difficulty imagining that many people on one cruise ship.

Now if 5400 people line up to board and each person utilizes one linear foot of space in the line, then the line would be over a mile long!

Another interesting statistic: One large internet cruise site quotes a price on the Oasis for an 'inside' cabin sailing for seven nights on June 19. The price is $1679 per person EXcluding taxes, port charges, etc. That calculates out to $239.00 per person per night! Now that's a hefty price for an 'inside'! And I'm sure one could book for less on some of the luxury cruise lines!

No doubt Oasis has a lot of new glitz but I can't help but wonder how long they can maintain their current price structure.

As for me, it all calculates out to glitz and price overload and I'm sure it will be quite some time before I am ready to book on the Oasis. :eek:

We sailed on the Oasis on the Jan 30 sailing in a D7 balcony cabin for around $1200 per person including all taxes and fees. The price you quoted for an inside cabins seems a bit out of line unless they have a large group on board and the ship is almost sold out. Even though we had 5400 people on board it never seemed crowded, in fact it was less crowded than smaller ships we have been on. From the curb to the ship it took us exactly 12 minutes, there was no line, especially not one a mile long. The most people I saw in any one place was going back to our cabin after the muster drill, no different than any other cruise, except we weren't all carrying our lifejackets this time. We loved the ship and would not hesitate to go back on her in a minute.

We just attended a presentation by RC on the Oasis of the seas. We were really amazed at the size of the ship and particularly the passenger capacity of 5400. I've lived in towns that were smaller than that and am having difficulty imagining that many people on one cruise ship.

Now if 5400 people line up to board and each person utilizes one linear foot of space in the line, then the line would be over a mile long!

Another interesting statistic: One large internet cruise site quotes a price on the Oasis for an 'inside' cabin sailing for seven nights on June 19. The price is $1679 per person EXcluding taxes, port charges, etc. That calculates out to $239.00 per person per night! Now that's a hefty price for an 'inside'! And I'm sure one could book for less on some of the luxury cruise lines!

No doubt Oasis has a lot of new glitz but I can't help but wonder how long they can maintain their current price structure.

As for me, it all calculates out to glitz and price overload and I'm sure it will be quite some time before I am ready to book on the Oasis. :eek:

We are on the June 12th sailing and are paying $1290 per person before taxes for an outside balcony...That price seems way high.

Thanks for the good input! I realize that there would never be only one line a mile long, but it is interesting to think about the concept with 5400 people.

Price: I have no doubt what others say about their prices. My quote came from Vacations To Go and I see that that cruise price has dropped for that date, to $1599 as of today (still high in my book)! :)

It does sound like a lot of people but I can honestly say I never saw any lines or crowded areas on the ship. The only place I have heard complaints about being crowded was the Windjammer and we did not eat there, with so many other venues to eat at we skipped the WJ this time. I agree that price seems mighty high for an inside, however if the ship is near sold out they will price it high. Check other dates and check other TA's, or just go directly to RCI's website and price it.

Thanks for the good input! I realize that there would never be only one line a mile long, but it is interesting to think about the concept with 5400 people.

Price: I have no doubt what others say about their prices. My quote came from Vacations To Go and I see that that cruise price has dropped for that date, to $1599 as of today (still high in my book)! :)

You do have to shop around and take into consideration the time of year year want to sail.Hi season or low.My TA always gets us a price much lower than what they have online. We are sailing on the Allure in 2011 ,balcony 999 plus tax, we sailed the Oasis in Jan this year balcony for 1045 plus tax,I just priced out an inside cabin for a friend on the Allure next year 710 plus tax,and yes it only took us 16 minutes from curb to ship when we boarded,the other thing I would like to note is that this is the first time I have been on a ship were i was not bothered by crowds,and had no problem getting a chair at the pool even on sea days .If you have cruised before you would realize that the problems on the smaller ships dont exsist on the Oasis class ship.

I am booked on the Oasis on June 19th and we have a boardwalk balcony that we are paying about the same amount as you were quoted. We booked it a while ago but I checked on the RCI website recently and it said the same category was about $2100 a person, so I really think you were misinformed.

I am booked on the Oasis on June 19th and we have a boardwalk balcony that we are paying about the same amount as you were quoted. We booked it a while ago but I checked on the RCI website recently and it said the same category was about $2100 a person, so I really think you were misinformed.

Sir:

I am not misinformed. I quoted my source and I would like to suggest that you too check the same source before you label me as being "misinformed".

Thank you.

June 19th 2010. Inside cabin 1599.00 exc taxs and port charges. From RCCL website 2-28-2010. I would agree with OP. Larry

June 19th 2010. Inside cabin 1599.00 exc taxs and port charges. From RCCL website 2-28-2010. I would agree with OP. Larry

It is all about demand. It is a new ship. Some sailings are more than others. Thre are also insides available on other dates for $729.

My husband and I are also booked on the June19th sailing. We were thinking of taking our two adult children with us and got a quote for an inside cabin around that $1675 per person on deck 6. When I talked to our TA, she said a lot of the categories were sold out already and from her experience, it looked like this sailing is going to be sold out or very close to it. So that price is about right for this particular sailing.

Sir:

I am not misinformed. I quoted my source and I would like to suggest that you too check the same source before you label me as being "misinformed".

Thank you.

Ok wow. 1-I am not a sir. 2-You really don't have to be so rude!

I was only trying to help you...geez! :rolleyes:

My husband and I are also booked on the June19th sailing. We were thinking of taking our two adult children with us and got a quote for an inside cabin around that $1675 per person on deck 6. When I talked to our TA, she said a lot of the categories were sold out already and from her experience, it looked like this sailing is going to be sold out or very close to it. So that price is about right for this particular sailing.

I agree, for this timing, again we booked almost a year and a half ago when prices were still somewhat reasonable, at least for a new ship. BTW see you in Ft Lauderdale in 110 days. :D

Archived