Shoes in Alaska???

ohsoblessed

Putterdude, excellent point about the sewn in lining issue. I have many jackets and all of them have either no lining at all or a zip out. The best of my jackets is one made for people who work on boats. I bought it in Nova Scotia years ago. It has never failed me, but is signal yellow. The zip out lining becomes its own jacket and when you do up all the zips and snaps, you are safe and dry.

Whenever I carry it through a Texas airport on my way North, it makes quite a statement. Above all wet weather clothing should be reliable.

After 3 years living in rainy Portland Oregon-I'll put in a plug for Keens. They make a bunch of different styles- a lot of waterproof options and they're pretty much indestructible. I live in them. Best part- you can throw your waterproof leather sandals in the wash and they come out good as new.

For our Alaska trip, I bought some fun Sporto shoes from DSW that are suppose to be waterproof. They come in red, blue, green, and black. I took regular sneakers and sprayed them with waterproofing when we went to London and it didn't last long - my feet got wet! This time I hope I made a better decision.

I just picked up an awesome pair of New Balance walking/hiking shoes. Model number is WW977 - the model comes in both ladies and mens. They are waterproof with gore-tex inside. They look like they wouldn't slide on anything, really good grips on the bottom. New Balance's footwear is great if you have any problems with your feet.

They are expensive - between $100 and $150 on most websites. I picked up a brand new pair on Ebay for $64.

Thanks for the tip! I like New Balance, took a look at this style, decided I liked them and ordered a pair.

Thanks for the tip! I like New Balance, took a look at this style, decided I liked them and ordered a pair.

Pamfj - you'll love them, they are sooo comfy. I love mine. I think I'll spray them with the waterproof spray too just to be on the safe side.

I'm also going to bring a pair of the crocs work shoes (without holes).

I am a huge fan of Crocs, I wear them all the time and am now working on my 4th pair in 18 mos....but they do not work well in the wet and I can guarantee you will be on you butt on even smooth concrete if the the soles are even a bit worn. By all means wear them aboard ship but I can't recommend them ashore in wet Alaska.

I plan to take a brand new pair and the grips on the work shoes are different from the standard beach or caymans. Most likely I will be wearing runners in port anyway. But thanks for your caution.

Archived