Shoes in Alaska???

ohsoblessed

I need some advice please about waterproof shoes for Alaska. This is our first cruise to Alaska and I have been told we need waterproof shoes. We are cruising on Sapphire Princess May 16th. After spending several hours trying to find these kind of shoes yesterday I am really wondering if they are needed for the time of year we are going?? Please I need help...should I keep looking or would you say they are not needed???:confused:

Thanks

I think Merrill makes a waterproof sneaker with gortex. You could see them on zappos.com I think they are almost 100$ though. Are there any stores near you that stock Merrill's?

I have a Merrill sneaker, but not the water proof version. They are super comfortable.

I can only speak for the shoes, don't know about the need. I'm in the midst of planning my own trip, so I'd like to hear the answer about needing the waterproof shoes as well.

We cruised last year in June. We had regular non-waterproof sneakers, and that was fine for us. YMMV. We did two boat excursions (fishing in Ketchikan and whale-watching in Juneau), and just walked around Victoria. It was raining on and off on both water days. But we were sheltered enough on the ship that our shoes never got soaking.

Perhaps if you are taking hiking excursions, it might be a bigger deal. Rather than buy new shoes, we just took two pair each, but we didn't need the second pair.

I agree with GRBlizz. We went in May and took 2 pr of sneakers/hiking shoes to swap out if

one pr. got wet. It did rain and the decks were wet, but nothing unbearable. If you have gortex boots, I would take them; if you don't have any, don't go out & buy them. You'll be fine.

I need some advice please about waterproof shoes for Alaska. This is our first cruise to Alaska and I have been told we need waterproof shoes. We are cruising on Sapphire Princess May 16th. After spending several hours trying to find these kind of shoes yesterday I am really wondering if they are needed for the time of year we are going?? Please I need help...should I keep looking or would you say they are not needed???:confused: Thanks

We're going to be cruising about the same time you are since we depart Seattle on May 17. We ordered some waterproofing spray from Cabelas.com that is especially for shoes. We plan to waterproof our walking shoes (not sneakers, more like leather). I happened to see it on the site when I was getting some waterproof spray for our fleece-lined denim jackets which we plan to wear a lot.

Before our first trip I got some waterproof leather shoes from LL Bean. They worked fine. Used them for port days and we did some light hiking. Worked fine and feet were dry.

Unfortunately my daypack was not water resistent and it got soaked. It rained all day we were in Juneau and 2 days in anchorage.

I've had good results with the spray-on waterproofing. I bought a can at Walmart - very inexpensive. Used it on my shoes (leather athletic shoes), a purse (fabric and leather) and a carry-on (fabric). I'd recommend doing 3 applications - cover completely (but don't soak), let dry for a day, repeat, etc. Some have reported spraying jeans and other clothing items. Be aware that washing the item will remove the spray from fabric. Don't think it's necessary to buy new, expensive shoes for Alaska.

i have been in alaska (as far up as skagway ) in early may and the middle of september. each time i have only used my tennis shoes. i sprayed them with waterproof spray and i was fine. i did not take a walking hike up into the mts but other wise i did not buy any expensive type shoes. mine were fine and i had no problems.

Well, I posted above that many visitors to Alaska have slip and fall accidents on wet decks of ships, sidewalks, stairs and trails.

I am not sure of the defination of 'tennis shoes' but if your shoes are slippery when you walk on a wet tile floor, then you need to think again about what you wear in Alaska.

I have seen people fall when there was nothing to cause a fall accept for the wet surface.

Test the shoes you intend to wear out at home and then decide if you can wear those with safety in mind or need to buy something else to wear. Please!

My recommendation is always a good pair of leather sneakers or a pair of low cut hikers. Spray them with a couple of times with a waterproof spray that you can purchase online from someone like REI, Cabbalas' or Bass. I live in the northwest and frankly don't spray my shoes...but if it is raining like heck I don't go out in it but you don't have that luxury when you are on vacation in Alaska. Last September I got caught in a rain storm in Ketchikan than drenched everything except the upper part of me that was covered in a Gore-Tex jacket.

On our last cruise to Alaska, we had an all day downpour in Ketchikan. My Goretex rain jacket and leather SAS walkers kept all but lower legs dry. I didn't know how waterproof the walking shoes would be before that day. Bless good quality shoes made in the U. S. A.

For what its worth I picked up Helly Hansen waterproof hiking shoes for $45.00 which was worth every penny. On sale from $120

For that amount it was worth it to get them for the hiking\waterproof needs. It's up to you if its worth it to you

Thanks everyone for all your tips. I wouldn't want to be walking around in wet cold shoes and surely not unsafe shoes. All we need is to slip, fall and break something, this would ruin our Alaskan Cruise for sure.:mad:

I just picked up an awesome pair of New Balance walking/hiking shoes. Model number is WW977 - the model comes in both ladies and mens. They are waterproof with gore-tex inside. They look like they wouldn't slide on anything, really good grips on the bottom. New Balance's footwear is great if you have any problems with your feet.

They are expensive - between $100 and $150 on most websites. I picked up a brand new pair on Ebay for $64.

I just picked up an awesome pair of New Balance walking/hiking shoes. Model number is WW977 - the model comes in both ladies and mens. They are waterproof with gore-tex inside. They look like they wouldn't slide on anything, really good grips on the bottom. New Balance's footwear is great if you have any problems with your feet.

They are expensive - between $100 and $150 on most websites. I picked up a brand new pair on Ebay for $64.

I think that I would still spray them only because that even Gore-Tex membranes in shoes have a habit of breaking down at inopportune times; trust me, I am a golfer..:eek:

My recommendation is always a good pair of leather sneakers or a pair of low cut hikers. Spray them with a couple of times with a waterproof spray that you can purchase online from someone like REI, Cabbalas' or Bass. I live in the northwest and frankly don't spray my shoes...but if it is raining like heck I don't go out in it but you don't have that luxury when you are on vacation in Alaska. Last September I got caught in a rain storm in Ketchikan than drenched everything except the upper part of me that was covered in a Gore-Tex jacket.

Any gortex jacket better than others? I was looking online at an LL Bean one. Sounds like you picked a good one.

Any gortex jacket better than others? I was looking online at an LL Bean one. Sounds like you picked a good one.

Gore-Tex was patented product whose patent expired some years ago so there are any number of similar products that are every bit at good. I have always been impressed with LL Bean products so am sure that you will be just fine with your selection. The only caveat would be don't purchase a jacket with a lining stitched in...if the lining gets wet it is vey hard to dry aboard ship...look for one with zip out lining. My home is just above Vancouver so I have two Gore-Tex jackets...one from Cabellas and the other from the Hudsons Bay but one is not better than the other.

Archived