Norwegian vs Royal Caribbean

travel12

We just returned from a 4-day cruise on RCL's Monarch of the Seas. We had a great time and will probably do that cruise again when we need a short cruise between longer ones on NCL. The one major difference I saw was in the number of passengers in the public spaces on the Monarch--somewhat akin to being at a mall around Christmas. On the Sun last summer, on a full ship, we never felt that way. RCI's passenger-to-space and passenger-to-crew ratios are larger, at least on those two ships.

And Freestyle, ah did we miss that! We overheard a woman talking with her two companions, who had just complained about having to wait until 8:00 to eat (second seating). She said "With Freestyle, we wouldn't have to wait--we could eat anytime." We laughed and told her we preferred it, too.

And although we are definitely not the stuffy types, we thought the singing and dancing waiters (ours also did magic tricks at the table) were kind of silly, and the cruise director was waaaaaay over the top!!!

Great food on the Monarch, and service was impeccable (we even got towel animals), but we also found great food and impeccable service on the Sun. Entertainment in the showroom wasn't nearly as good as the JAR Company on NCL. We can't wait until our Star cruise in May!

It's amazing how similar and yet different ships can be. Of course a 4 day and a 7 or longer cruise is very different. We too, prefer NCL and yet feel the way you do, RCI is fine for a short get away. We would do it anyday. Our grand daughter is getting married in Dec on a 5 day Zenith cruise I think. That will be fine with us. NMnita

Been on RCCL Empress and Echantment od the Sea. Liked both them. Food was bland but service was extremely good on both.

Been on NCL Wind, Sea and Norway. Food was slightly better but thought the service wasn't as good as RCCL. Entertainment NCL wins.

Freestyle isn't for me. But some love it. Service in dining room seemed slower. One lunch took 2+ hours.

Price. NCL hands down. Which makes me think why?

Don

Archived