Excited about Cruise and weight Loss!!!

Mrssyvo

We are leaving in late May for a few days in London and then a 12-night Baltics cruise on the Jewel of the Sea.

You have got a fantastic cruise ahead of you!! Fantastic itinerary and a beautiful ship. Our favorite of the RCCL ships. Best of luck on your weight loss journey!!

Weighed-in this morning and I am down .2. I guess it was better than gaining. I am back on the wagon again. Today I had a very hectic day and didn't have time to pack a healthy lunch, so I went through the drive-thru at Burger King. I got a Whopper-Jr. no Mayo (7pt) and a diet Coke. Well wouldn't you know it, I pulled out and got less that a half mile and realized that they gave me a regular Coke. I was so mad that I went right back and told the Mgr. about it. She offered me another one but by that time I had already ate my burger and had a bottle of water. I keep one in the back seat of my car for emergencies. She just gave me my money back. I was very nice about it but very aggervated as well.

Tonight I am making burritos. The ground beef kind for Rick. I found that WW carries a Salsa Chicken. It is one of their frozen dinners. No rice just chicken and veggies. 2 pts for the entire box. It is big chuncks of chicken with all kinds of veggies and a salsa style sauce. I just heat it up in the microwave and put some in one of my low carb tortillas, 1pt, and make a large soft taco or fold it like a burrito. I usually do not use cheese, just a little fat free sour cream and lots of chopped up lettuce and tomato to make it healthy. I can have 2 of these for 4 pts plus how ever much FF sour cream I use. The tortillas are a new brand I found called, "Smart & Delicious " 3 net carbs, 50 cal, 2g fat, and 7g fiber for each one. They are not huge but a lot bigger than the traditional soft taco size. I found them in the Mexican-taco shell asile at my local Meijer supermarket. They are not in the refrigerated section. They say whole-wheat but honestly, I would not have been able to tell if it were not written on the front of the package. Any how, I've rambled enough about my new food find so I will go. Have a super Friday. Cari. :)

I figure I should get on this thread since I am from Indiana ;) and need to lose weight. Thanks for the encouragment so far!

Welcome, we should call it Hoosier-Losers. LOL It seems like our orig group has dwindled down a little. Mrs. S, the OP, just had her Med cruise cancelled due to Volcanic Ash but was able to get on the CCL Legend for a 7 day. Today is Tue so she is probably on a tender to Grand Cayman. She is a really nice lady and full of great ideas, you will like her.

My name is Cari, BTW and am doing Weight Watcher's, but this is not necessary for this thread. It is what ever wt loss plan is working for you. I want to lose 20 some more before my cruise in Oct. I am 47 and the weight this time is coming off slowly. My problem is getting enough excercise in. I have a treadmill, I just need to get my butt on it more often.

We usually check in once a day and share our ups and downs, ask for advice and exchange recipes. Mrs S posted one for a mango salsa last week and I am going to try it tonight. I have not decided if I will make pork chops, chicken or fish, but the salsa is a given.

Welcome, Woo-Hoo another Hoosier. Cari :)

In the past couple of weeks, the result of some studies on the benefit of dark chocolate have declared that a small amount daily is good for the heart. I would kill for chocolate and probably could eat a pound at a time. However, I am controlling myself and I have one piece of Dove dark chocolate daily. I cut it into six pieces (very small) and I savor every tiny morsel. Believe it or not, but it does the trick. It satisfies. It is one WW point and I count it into my daily points or use it as one of my extra points. :):):)

In the past couple of weeks, the result of some studies on the benefit of dark chocolate have declared that a small amount daily is good for the heart. I would kill for chocolate and probably could eat a pound at a time. However, I am controlling myself and I have one piece of Dove dark chocolate daily. I cut it into six pieces (very small) and I savor every tiny morsel. Believe it or not, but it does the trick. It satisfies. It is one WW point and I count it into my daily points or use it as one of my extra points. :):):)

Really 1 pt. I'll have to check that out, I love chocolate. How do you cut it without having it crumble? With a sharp paring knife?

Thanks for the yummy tip. Cari

Hi everyone, can I join your group? My name is Kelli and my DH and I will be cruising on November 14. We will be celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and I would love to look great! I have already lost 25 lbs. and just can't seem to stay motivated to lose the final 10 lbs. Then, after I reach my weight goal, I want to spend the rest of the time before my cruise toning everything up. My hope is that by posting here the motivation will return with the support of others. I have been using my iPod Touch with a calorie counter app. This seems to work great when I stay within my allowed callories. Unfortunately, the weekends seem to be my downfall. :(

A little about myself. I am 44, and I married my high school sweetheart. We have two boys 12 and almost 15. Shortly after we married we moved to San Diego from Phoenix, and have been living in Escondido (just north of San Diego) for the past 10 years. Well that's everything in a nutshell. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi everyone, can I join your group? My name is Kelli and my DH and I will be cruising on November 14. We will be celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and I would love to look great! I have already lost 25 lbs. and just can't seem to stay motivated to lose the final 10 lbs. Then, after I reach my weight goal, I want to spend the rest of the time before my cruise toning everything up. My hope is that by posting here the motivation will return with the support of others. I have been using my iPod Touch with a calorie counter app. This seems to work great when I stay within my allowed callories. Unfortunately, the weekends seem to be my downfall. :(

A little about myself. I am 44, and I married my high school sweetheart. We have two boys 12 and almost 15. Shortly after we married we moved to San Diego from Phoenix, and have been living in Escondido (just north of San Diego) for the past 10 years. Well that's everything in a nutshell. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Kelli, welcome to our wt loss board, It seems like you have a great plan. Wow, 25 gone and only 10 to go! I am also down to my last 19 and it is just as hard as the first 19.

BTW, I am Cari and am 47. I have 3 children, My youngest son is 18. My daughter is 22 and lives in PaloAlto Calif. She just graduated college last year and is in a program called " Teach for America " she is teaching 6th grade Math and Science to Special Needs Students. The program will give her grants to attend Grad school after she completes her 2 year contract-teaching. I also have a step-son who is 31 and married with 3 children. He lives in Fla. My BF, Rick and I have been dating for a year and he is the one that I will cruise with this coming Oct on the CCL Legend. This will be the first cruise for both of us and we are so excited. I want to get to goal so I can start shopping !!!!!!

Also, I should mention that I gained back a lot of wt after my divorce a couple of years ago, it's amazing what stress can do to you. I have been doing the Weight Watcher's plan and that has really been a blessing to me. It is all in what works for you.

Do you have any good healthy recipes or menu ideas to share? I have really been in a slump for Breakfast and Lunch Ideas. Dinner is OK because I can cook for more than one. I just have a hard time with preparing a meal just for myself and am getting bored with cereal and veggie burgers every day. The frozen Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones are OK in a pinch but I would really like to experiment a little with some new ideas.

Welcome------- Cari. :)

Cari,

Since we are a family of 4 at home, my meals seem to be larger sit down meals for the family at breakfast and dinner. I try to do portion control for myself. I have found making a smoothie for lunch fills me up. My favorite is:

Pineapple & Strawberry Smoothie

Blend 1/2 c. orange juice

5 strawberries

1/2 large can of pineapple chunks in natural juice. Add ice until it reaches the desired consistency.

Pretty straight forward.

Cari,

Since we are a family of 4 at home, my meals seem to be larger sit down meals for the family at breakfast and dinner. I try to do portion control for myself. I have found making a smoothie for lunch fills me up. My favorite is:

Pineapple & Strawberry Smoothie

Blend 1/2 c. orange juice

5 strawberries

1/2 large can of pineapple chunks in natural juice. Add ice until it reaches the desired consistency.

Pretty straight forward.

I tried this over the weekend, it was very good and filling. Thanks.

Hello all- I am back, and thought I shoudl check in, and let you knwo how it went. As Cari mentioned in an earlier post, we did nto make it to Italy & Greece, due to the volcano eruption, and all of the planes were grounded. We were able to find a spot on the Carnival Legend at the last minute, adnw e went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. We did have fun, but it was NOT the trip we planned 9 months for. My husband ende dup in a wheelchair the last 3 days of the trip, and he claims it is all my fault. Since I had been doing WW for 2 months beofre the trip, he was also eating healthy- SO- when we ]got on the ship, he took that as his permission to eat anything & everything, and he did. He ended up with GOUT, and a BAD case, he is still in so much pain that he can not walk. He said that if I had fed him rich and fattening food all along, he woudl ahve been fine on the trip. I tried to make wise food choices, and we did take the stairs until he got hurt. I weigh in tomorrow, and so I will find out then how I did.

Mrs. S, glad your'e back. Sorry to hear about your husband. Wow, 3 days in a wheelchair couldn't have been much fun. I thought about you each day you were gone and was keeping track of what ports you would be at on which days. I hope that you both were able to do some nice excursions. Rick and I are on this same Legend cruise Oct 31- Nov 7th. We are booked in cabin #6218. This will be the first cruise for both of us. We really don't know what to expect but are very excited and have learned a lot of valuable information from these boards. When you get some extra time, tell me about the ship and any particular things that would be beneficial. Did you get your balcony room? Where was your cabin? How did you rate the food? Were the pools crowded? Just fill me in when ever you can. We have the late dining and am now wondering if this is such a good idea. I have thought about trying to change to anytime. I'm really on the fence about this.

I'm still following the WW plan. I only lost .4 at last Fri weigh-in but 2. something the Fri prior. I just keep plugging away. I have tried your Mango salsa recipe twice so far. I really love it! Rick does as well. The first time we had it over pork chops and the other night Rick had it over fish and myself some chicken. I added about a 1/4 cup of chopped seedless cucumber to it also as I only had 1 mango instead of the two that you suggested.

I also changed my treadmill routine around a little bit. I am trying it out in the morning instead of later in the day. This way I can't use the I'm- too- tired -excuse.

I am going to do my treadmill and then on to work. I am taking one of my paitents, who recently turned 96 years old, out to lunch today. She is the sweetest lady. Her husband passed away over 40 years ago and she has lived all alone ever since. They never had any children together and most of her friends and extended family are either passed or out of state. I do home health care 2 days a week and administrative from home the other 3. This lady has been with me now for a few years. She is all with it mentally but has some physical issues so she has in-home care so she can keep as much independance as possible. She likes to do what she calls "days-out" every once in awhile. She says, "kid, I have to get out of here today". She calls me "kid" I chuckle and suppose that at her age I am a kid to her. These days-out and going to Church on Sunday are about the only time she gets out of the house. When folks get older like this it is always best to keep the mind busy and try to stay as active as possible. She said she loves coney-dogs so I thought she might enjoy going to Sky-Line Chili. I hope I can find a good choice there. If not then I will use a few bonus pts to have one coney dog without any cheese. We have a local candy store here that also sells homemade ice-cream. I am going to treat her to a sundie as well. I am going to be good and have already decided to just order a diet soft drink when we go there. Weigh in is tomorrow morning so I have to be careful.

Have a great day, I will check back later and then post my WI tomorrow when I get home. Once again, welcome back. :) Cari

Glad you enjoyed Cari.

Down 1.5 lbs. this week. :D

Congrats on your 1.5 lbs. It is always a good thing to see that scale go DOWN. Our Weight Watcher's leader tells us; that will be the last time we will ever see that number on the scale again! I was only down .4 last week so I'm hoping for a little better tomorrow at weigh in. Will see. Cari. :)

Okay, rather discouraged this morning. Not a good weekend for weight loss. Not really motivated but am going to the gym in a little while. Hopefully it will give me renewed optimism.

Cari - how has it been working for you to change your tredmill workout to the mornings?

Okay, rather discouraged this morning. Not a good weekend for weight loss. Not really motivated but am going to the gym in a little while. Hopefully it will give me renewed optimism.

Cari - how has it been working for you to change your tredmill workout to the mornings?

Hi Allboyz, How did the gym workout go? Don't let one bad weekend get you down. A healthy lifesytle change wont happen overnight and bad days are bound to happen now and then. Back around Easter, my finace made 2 pans of brownies for a family get together. He brought home one of the pans that had about half left. I ate the entire half pan by myself! It started out as only one small piece and went down hill from there. I literally felt miserable the next day but jumped back on the wagon and just chalked it up to a life lesson. I realize that I cannot have any of my danger foods in the house until I get a better grip on things. I did go out any buy some good chocolate subtitutes. I now have the Weight Watcher's Chocolate ice cream sandwiches as well as some granola type bars that have SOME chocolate in them. So far this has worked for me. So, don't let it get you down, just realize what it was that make you have a bad weekend and try to find ways to aviod the same situation next time. :)

And yes, I'm excited to say that my new treadmill routine is working out very,very well. I get up and have my coffee and usual breakfast of Special K high protein cereal with 1/2 a sliced banana and some skim milk and let that settle a little, then jump on the treadmill and do anywhere from 30-45 min. I use hand and ankle weights for an added workout. The good thing about this routine is that sometimes I even get back on the treadmill when I get home from work. So I get extra workout time.

I was up on the scale for my Weigh in by .2 lbs. This is really nothing but I did expect a loss as I felt I did really well, however, I did notice a BIG difference this week in the way my jeans and pants are fitting. I actually wore a belt for the first time in a very long time. So perhaps I am gaining a little muscle and losing inches.

This week I am trying a new workout video to mix it up a bit. It is the Lotte Berk Method. She combines elements of both classical and modern dance with Hatha Yoga. Her method is low impact but works on concentrated movements and targeted excercises that tone certain problem areas that some women have, mainly thighs and abdomen. I will still use my other work out tapes but wanted something that would just concentrate on my problem areas. There is another DVD that works on similar principles but I cannot find it anywhere. It is titled " Physique 57" The DVD was previewed on one of the morning shows and the participants looked FAB!!! I wish I could find it.

Have a great day and hang in there. Cari :)

Thanks for the encouragement Cari. I know it is a lifestyle change I have to embrace however I haven't figured out how to do that when we get together with friends over the weekends. Hopefully I will figure it out soon since we will be camping with a large group of friends this weekend.

My workout did go well yesterday. I have a routine of 5 min. cardio followed by a machine circuit and repeat for a total of 3 times. I do this one day and the next is followed by a cardio workout. About 30 minutes on the eliptical and 30 minutes on the tredmill. Tonight I plan on doing my cardio workout.

Thanks for the encouragement Cari. I know it is a lifestyle change I have to embrace however I haven't figured out how to do that when we get together with friends over the weekends. Hopefully I will figure it out soon since we will be camping with a large group of friends this weekend.

My workout did go well yesterday. I have a routine of 5 min. cardio followed by a machine circuit and repeat for a total of 3 times. I do this one day and the next is followed by a cardio workout. About 30 minutes on the eliptical and 30 minutes on the tredmill. Tonight I plan on doing my cardio workout.

Wow, it sounds like you have your workout routine down-pat. I have worked out on an eliptical. I have heard wonderful things about results from these machines though.

How did you do on your camping trip?

We went to my future in-laws this weekend for Mother's Day. Lots of family and food. I made sure to bring both a fruit plate and a large tossed salad with a bottle of fat-free French dressing. I did have a small slice of ham and about a 1/4 cup of baked beans and a small whole wheat biscuit as well. After dinner we all went out back and played a game of kick ball. I am hoping that this did some good to work off a little bit of the extras that I had for my meal.

My future SIL had gastric bypass back in Oct and has lost 120 lbs. She looks fantastic! I don't have that much to lose but keep thinking just how hard it is to try and lost a pound or two every week. I'll just keep on keeping on...

Have a great week. Keep up the good work. Cari

The weekend went pretty well. Took some liberties but also tried to keep active. Went jogging on Saturday as well as several short walks through the RV Park and played some doubles tennis on Sunday. Overall I am happy with how I did. Heading out to the gym here shortly.

Having a great week! I'm staying diligent to my calorie intake and have worked out every day this week. :D

I hope everyone else out there is doing well also.

Hey Kelli, It always feels good when you know youv'e stayed on track. I had a pretty good week too. Still trying to mix up my workout routine to match my crazy schedule.

I was so proud of myself last night. My fiance Rick, really had a craving for take-out fried chicken. I knew what this would do to my weight loss plan so I threw a couple of chicken wings and a small sweet potato into the oven for myself, tossed a small salad and rode with him to pick up his box of chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw and big biscuits. It all smelled sooo good, but I didn't give in. We still ate our chicken together but I felt a lot better about making my own version instead of giving in to temptation.

I cut up a huge bowl of fruit last night to keep in the frige for quick snacking this weekend, Cantelope, strawberries, green grapes and pineapple. This helps out when I open the frige door and just stand there looking for that certain something to snack on.

Today we are going to work out in the yard getting our garden in. This should help out with the activity. Tonight I am making a pot of vegitarian chili and a green salad.

Have a great weekend and keep up your great work!! Cari :)

Cari - GOOD FOR YOU! It's always such a great feeling when you know you shouldn't have something and you stay strong and don't give in.:)

I too had a great weekend. Yesterday we had some friends over and I knew I would want to eat some food that I usually avoid and don't even have in my home, so I went to the gym for an hour of cardio. This allowed me to indulge a little and still stay on target with my calories.

Archived