Coffee (I know -- ITS BEEN DISCUSSED ALREADY!)

Cambrensis

I think I will do Room Service (this is our fourth cruise this week and have never done that, can you believe it?)

I start my morning every day with room service. Even if it is just to bring me coffee - which I doctor up with flavored creamer - they sell individual liquid Coffee Mates at our local grocery store - much better than the powered stuff. Also order some fresh fruit and a few danishes for the morning or an anytime in the room snack.

I have also done room service for a nice lunch - when I wanted to just relax and watch a movie. Make sure if you like to drink either coffee, ice tea etc to order 2 for yourself as the cups are rather small....

I start my morning every day with room service. ....

Thanks Disney HM! Will definitely do breakfast in room (will score points with wife and kids too to have some quick food available when they FINALLY get up) ... have you done a Disney cruise (hence your screen name?) -- I know some folks going on one this week with NO KIDS and I thought that was interesting ... and brave! Or maybe that's just a stereotype .... but I picture it crawling with little kids and overheated, overworked dressed up Disney characters!

have you done a Disney cruise (hence your screen name?) -- I know some folks going on one this week with NO KIDS and I thought that was interesting ... and brave! Or maybe that's just a stereotype .... but I picture it crawling with little kids and overheated, overworked dressed up Disney characters!

We have done a Disney cruise with our kids. I personally would not do it without kids but there are tons of people who do and lots who are even on their honeymoom! The ships, while having lots of kids, don't feel that way. Their kids programs keep them busy and out of view from most passengers. The characters do come out but only at select times - photo ops, on stage etc. Overall I loved it but the price is to high to do again.. even when they come to So. CA to do the Mexican Riveara I would prefer to take Carnival. Way less $$ for the 7 nights means we can do more as a family in ports and/or take another cruise. I get lots of flack from friends about always going on Carnival but I LOVE Carnival myself.

Now back to the thread topic... : ) Can't remember the coffee on Disney..

Again recommend Starbucks instand in the individual packets along with flavored creamers. Another suggestion is to bring your own coffee tumbler so you can have a larger cup and walk around with it if you like in the AM

Just got off the Pride and the coffee was more than just awful. Waiters told us it was made with a syrup, not really brewed like the coffee in the dining room but I can't confirm that. You really have to love strong, thick coffee to enjoy it.

We were on the Glory and the coffee on Lido was fine most of the time. Once in a while I'd toss it and get it from another dispenser.

I'm pretty sure I saw them putting ground coffee in the machines. (99 % sure)

I hope all the ships are not all going over to the syrup coffee...ech!

To do it right. Walgreen's, CVS, or Amazon.com... Immersible heater. Boils water in 2 minutes. That and your press and you are good to drink!

That would have been my suggestion, also. A little device that hangs from the side of the cup INTO the water. Plug it in and VOILA ! ! boiling hot water in no time. Don't know whether this consitutes an "iron-like device" as it draws a ton of current. I'm sure, if it does, COTTON, will probably chime in. :D

I find Carnival's coffee just fine, but in fairness, I'm so addicted to coffee, NO cruislines could screw up my habit. :rolleyes:

That would have been my suggestion, also. A little device that hangs from the side of the cup INTO the water. Plug it in and VOILA ! ! boiling hot water in no time. Don't know whether this consitutes an "iron-like device" as it draws a ton of current. I'm sure, if it does, COTTON, will probably chime in. :D

It's not the current, it's the uncovered heating element and a (likely) lack of an automatic shut-off. A hair dryer takes 1000-1500W, and those are allowed. A coffee maker (automatic drip style) takes around 1000-1200W.

I did find this little gem:

http://www.espressozone.com/chefschoice-electric-french-coffee-press-7863.aspx

It's a little bit expensive, and of course it's got a glass carafe, but it's still interesting.

- Steve

We were on the Glory and the coffee on Lido was fine most of the time. Once in a while I'd toss it and get it from another dispenser.

I'm pretty sure I saw them putting ground coffee in the machines. (99 % sure)

I hope all the ships are not all going over to the syrup coffee...ech!

I also saw the ground coffee being added to the machines....the guy spilled it all over the counter trying to get it into the machines and was sweeping it up. :(

Not a big fan of the coffee but it does vary from ship to ship. Huge fan of the speciality coffee shop and we generally get 2 cups each every day. I was disappointed the coffee card did not stick,

Archived