Coffee (I know -- ITS BEEN DISCUSSED ALREADY!)

Cambrensis

But I have a very specific question:

I recall from the last thread that some folks take their own French press and coffee. Didn't really know much about that at the time, but I have since been given one and WOW -- it makes GREAT coffee.

SO ... to you coffee conniseurs (I know, I can't spell either) -- is the Lido deck hot water hot enough to make the French press work well? I really don't think I can handle the bulk stuff again, and I don't want to pay top $ for the coffee shop (besides, it wouldn't be open when I get up anyway).

is the Lido deck hot water hot enough to make the French press work well?

I apologize for not knowing the answer, but I read through your post a tad on the fast side and truly thought you were some crazy newbie wanting to use the hot tub water on the lido deck to make coffee.

Eeeek! I hope you find your answer though. :)

I apologize for not knowing the answer, but I read through your post a tad on the fast side and truly thought you were some crazy newbie wanting to use the hot tub water on the lido deck to make coffee.

Eeeek! I hope you find your answer though. :)

Thanks for that post. It gave me my first laugh of the day!:)

But I have a very specific question:

I recall from the last thread that some folks take their own French press and coffee. Didn't really know much about that at the time, but I have since been given one and WOW -- it makes GREAT coffee.

Yeah, they're very good when used correctly. I think I like flavored coffee more from a drip coffee maker, but unflavored is better from a press.

SO ... to you coffee conniseurs (I know, I can't spell either) -- is the Lido deck hot water hot enough to make the French press work well? I really don't think I can handle the bulk stuff again, and I don't want to pay top $ for the coffee shop (besides, it wouldn't be open when I get up anyway).
I'll bet that it's not quite as hot as it should be. You may be able to ask one of the wait staff for hotter water if you find the tea water isn't hot enough for you.

You may want to experiment at home with different water temperatures, for example see if you need to add/subtract some coffee. If you're a real coffee nut, you could even bring a thermometer. :)

- Steve

can't answer about the water for your press but I always bring on flovored cream for myself. That was I "CAN" swallow the coffee on board. If not for the flavored cream I couldn't

Waiting to hear from others too...

You could always try Starbucks instant coffee. It is very good and may be found at your local Costco's

can't answer about the water for your press but I always bring on flovored cream for myself. That was I "CAN" swallow the coffee on board. If not for the flavored cream I couldn't

Waiting to hear from others too...

You could always try Starbucks instant coffee. It is very good and may be found at your local Costco's

I have a packet of instant Starbucks that a friend gave me ... havent tried it yet, must admit I was skeptical (I mean, Starbucks INSTANT?), but that's a good idea. Thanks!

To do it right. Walgreen's, CVS, or Amazon.com... Immersible heater. Boils water in 2 minutes. That and your press and you are good to drink!

May be a problem bringing that immersible heater on board, though. Could be right up there with irons and candles as a prohibited item.

BTW - I LOVE the Starbuck's instant packs! I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee daily/every other day, so I rarely brew a full pot.

I actually thought the coffee was not bad on the two Carnival cruises I took! It is strong! Which we LOVE!

I'll second that! I love my coffee---drink 10 cups a day, every day, year round. I was always one of the lone folks on the Lido deck at the crack of dawn with my coffee mug. I drink my coffee black, and it was good enough for me! :)

I'm bringing starbucks instant "via" coffee on my next cruise. The lido deck coffee is awful.

agreed, starbucks instant and my press will get me through the day, do we have to pay for coffee/cappachino/expresso from a coffee shop?

The water is supposed to be right below boiling, so I don't see how you can get water hot enough. On the other hand, could it be worst than the onboard coffee, I don't think so.

Actually, it's very simple, not much larger than your blender and makes perfect 208 degrees hot water for your French Press:

HB-2-lg.jpg

This compact water heater offers 2.2 Liters water capacity and can be programmed to a 6 hour sleep timer to save energy by reheating water only when you really need it. This model comes with a non-stick inner container and removable upper lid for easy cleaning, and the citric acid cleaning function greatly reduces hard water deposits. An easy-to-read water gauge shows how much water is in the pot while 3 Temperature Settings: Boil (208°F) Stay Hot (194°F) Baby Formula (140°F), and a reboil function brings water quickly to boil from all 3 settings.

I had bought a French press for camping, and while the coffee was excellent... clean up is a mess! I can't imagine taking one on a cruise. I take flavored creamers (they now have indvidual powder packets) and before Starbucks Via I took the coffee that is like a tea bag.

I had bought a French press for camping, and while the coffee was excellent... clean up is a mess! I can't imagine taking one on a cruise. I take flavored creamers (they now have indvidual powder packets) and before Starbucks Via I took the coffee that is like a tea bag.

THIS is why the board is so helpful! Of course you are right, clean up IS a mess! And taking my FP risks breakage, etc. Guess I'll go with the Lido swill and maybe try the Starbicks -- THANKS TO ALL AND HAPPY CRUISING! WE LEAVE SUNDAY!!!!:)

Hmmm. Yeah, cleanup would be a problem, wouldn't it? :)

There are combination mugs/presses, like this one:

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=812&cat=15&page=1#detailedimages

or this one, if you prefer metal:

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=706&cat=15&page=2

I definitely wouldn't bring an immersion heater on board, even if they are allowed. They're just a bit too dangerous for my liking - I've never seen one with auto shut-off that worked. I like that water heater joebat1 posted, but maybe not enough to bring it on a cruise :)

- Steve

I am not a coffee drinker, but the wife is.

We are just going to take some of the instant coffee bags (like tea bags) in single serve size. I promised her a few of the overpriced cappuccinos on board as well.

Hmmm. Yeah, cleanup would be a problem, wouldn't it? :)

There are combination mugs/presses, like this one:

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=812&cat=15&page=1#detailedimages

or this one, if you prefer metal:

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=706&cat=15&page=2

I definitely wouldn't bring an immersion heater on board, even if they are allowed. They're just a bit too dangerous for my liking - I've never seen one with auto shut-off that worked. I like that water heater joebat1 posted, but maybe not enough to bring it on a cruise :)

- Steve

Cool, they are just up the road from me!

I actually thought the coffee was not bad on the two Carnival cruises I took! It is strong! Which we LOVE!

Just got off the Pride and the coffee was more than just awful. Waiters told us it was made with a syrup, not really brewed like the coffee in the dining room but I can't confirm that. You really have to love strong, thick coffee to enjoy it.

Just got off the Pride and the coffee was more than just awful. Waiters told us it was made with a syrup, not really brewed like the coffee in the dining room but I can't confirm that. You really have to love strong, thick coffee to enjoy it.

Coffee made with syrup? Weird, I've never heard of that. I've been wondering why everyone thinks its so bad... I thought maybe it was too weak or something.

Guess instant Starbucks will save the day - can't live w/out my coffee! :)

I am not a coffee drinker, but the wife is.

We are just going to take some of the instant coffee bags (like tea bags) in single serve size. I promised her a few of the overpriced cappuccinos on board as well.

so, just to be clear.. do we have to pay for a cappachinno/latte or expresso on board the Legend? where and how much? i love a good coffee...

That's the stuff! It is a concentrate used for bulk coffee dispensers such as found on ... well, cruise ships! I think I will do Room Service (this is our fourth cruise this week and have never done that, can you believe it?), MDR -- or just make do for my morning coffee. Oh yes, and some instant Starbucks.

Archived