Chops for vegetarian. Anyone done it?

No lectures please , I hear enough crap about going to a steak house and not eating meat of any kind.

I have always wanted hubs to go to Chops, he and friends won't go because I am a vegetarian. They feel I wouldn't enjoy it. I have seen the menu and the salads and sides and dessert is a lot for me to eat. I would be fine. But out of curiosity , if I made reservations and told them ahead I am a vegetarian would they get me a pasta, or just accomadate me with no big deal with a veggie plate.

I know they could get the chops steak in the dining room, but would like hubs .and me ,for that matter. To experience Chops fine relaxed dining.

Portofino definately wouldn't float his boat :) as he is meat and potatoes all the way.

One thing I love about cruising is the MDR is so easy to eat in and it not be made a big deal that I am vegetarian.

Im a vegetarian and ate at Chops and it was awesome. They have great veggie choices and its family style. So you can get like the beets and greenbeans and other veggie dishes. I got the tiger shrimp also (only meat i eat) and it was awesome.

I'm a veggie too and have booked both chops and portofino on our upcoming cruise, one to please the meat eaters and one to please me, it sounds like your hubby is a sensitive guy to your needs so maybe this would work for you to ?

Our daughter is a vegetarian. She loves steakhouses...the sides are so awesome (especially at Chops) that they make a meal! GO! You will love it!

I'm not much of a meat eater...when we first tried Chops and Portofino I was sure that Portofino would be my favorite....but I loved both of them.

Virginia

No lectures please , I hear enough crap about going to a steak house and not eating meat of any kind.

I have always wanted hubs to go to Chops, he and friends won't go because I am a vegetarian. They feel I wouldn't enjoy it. I have seen the menu and the salads and sides and dessert is a lot for me to eat. I would be fine. But out of curiosity , if I made reservations and told them ahead I am a vegetarian would they get me a pasta, or just accomadate me with no big deal with a veggie plate.

First let me say, no crap from me. I think it's great that you two are so care so much for each other. :cool: My mom is also a vegetarian and we ate at Chops twice on out last LOS cruise. You have a few options. First is you can let them know ahead of time and have the chef prepare something special for you. Or you can have them bring in something from the MDR. I think I remember they also offered her a meal from Portafino's as well, but I am not positive. Last, you can just go with the sides. My mom gets so tired of eating salads, bread, potatoes and veggies. She opted to let the chef prepare her something special and on the second night ordered from the MDR. I hope you enjoy the experience, it is very intimate.

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat pork or beef. I went to Chops with my mom, who is a beef eater. There aren't any entrees that I remember being meatless, but the salads are huge (more of a meal than an appetizer) plus you can order as many side dishes as you want. The mushroom soup is also really good, but it is creamy (not sure if you eat milk products). There is also a French onion type soup.

I think you would find enough options that do not contain meat to have a full meal. You might have to request courses in a different order than normal (like salad for an entree) but I doubt the waiters will have a problem.

Please don't discount Portofino! Their steak is AMAZING!! And there you can get pasta and he can get his steak and potato. They also have the most amazing dessert sampler in the world!

I'm vegetarian married to a steak lover and like you, we try to find places that accomodate both of us. My brother recently returned from Chops (he's also married to a vegetarian) and they just let them know in advance. When my sister in law arrived, they had made her a special meal complete with her own portobello grilled "steak" - she said it was fabulous and was touched that they went to so much effort.

Thanks for all your replies. I get tired of of explaining myself at restuarants and arrogant servers who only suggest plain salad and baked potato.

and I can't get my non vegtable eating husband understand that vegtables alone are totally different in a plain restuarant opposed to an upscale. that it is a treat for me.

Thanks for all your replies. I get tired of of explaining myself at restuarants and arrogant servers who only suggest plain salad and baked potato.

and I can't get my non vegtable eating husband understand that vegtables alone are totally different in a plain restuarant opposed to an upscale. that it is a treat for me.

Hey woman......you should never have to explain your menu selections to a waiter!!! I'm a vegetarian also but I do eat fish/seafood so I have a bit more variation in my diet. I have eaten in Chops often and always have a great experience. Like you, I have a very understanding DH who is supportive of all my choices!!

Bon appetit.........

I agree with those who say you shouldn't discount Portofino. I ordered the best filet I had on our Mariner cruise in Portofino. It far and and away was better than the "Chops" steak I ordered one night in the MDR.

They also have a fabulous mushroom pasta I'll bet you would love.

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat pork or beef. I went to Chops with my mom, who is a beef eater. There aren't any entrees that I remember being meatless, but the salads are huge (more of a meal than an appetizer) plus you can order as many side dishes as you want. The mushroom soup is also really good, but it is creamy (not sure if you eat milk products). There is also a French onion type soup.

I think you would find enough options that do not contain meat to have a full meal. You might have to request courses in a different order than normal (like salad for an entree) but I doubt the waiters will have a problem.

Most french onion soups have a beef or chicken stock base so they are not vegetarian. Also many creamy pasta sauces have a chicken stock base (the creamy mushroom pasta in Portafino's). Vegetarians should have their waiter ask if there is any beef or chicken stock in it......

Please don't discount Portofino! Their steak is AMAZING!! And there you can get pasta and he can get his steak and potato. They also have the most amazing dessert sampler in the world!

I agree! I had one of the best filet mignons I've ever had at Portofino and the dessert sampler is to die for! Maybe you can do both places! Have fun!

To the few who have said they are vegetarians but eat fish, you are not vegetatians. LOL. Sorry, but this one drives me nuts. You can not eat fish and be a vegeatrian. You are a pescatarian.

Also, to those vegetatians, please check the soups carefully. Most soups in most restaurants contain some sort of chicken or beef stock. I know so many vegetatians who think they are not eating animal products but they are on most days. They just don't realize what is in so many of the products they eat on a daily basis.

Archived