Tampa Legend and Flight Times

pknapper

OK this is our first cruise and have a dilema. We will be cruising June 6-13 on the Legend out of Tampa. For return flight times we have 2 options for AirTran to Bloomington IL. 12:30 or 6:30. We would love to make the 12:30 flight which will put us home at 6:30 in the evening, but don't think there would be enough time to make this flight (even though I am hoping there would be, saves us from spending a whole day in Tampa and getting home at 11:00 pm.)

Thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

OK this is our first cruise and have a dilema. We will be cruising June 6-13 on the Legend out of Tampa. For return flight times we have 2 options for AirTran to Bloomington IL. 12:30 or 6:30. We would love to make the 12:30 flight which will put us home at 6:30 in the evening, but don't think there would be enough time to make this flight (even though I am hoping there would be, saves us from spending a whole day in Tampa and getting home at 11:00 pm.)

Thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

You shouldn't have an issue with a 12:30 P flight out of Tampa. Airport is less than 20 minutes by cab, especially on a Sunday morning. If the Legend docks on time, you'll be off the boat and in a cab by 9 or 9:30 AM if not earlier. Depending upon the amount of luggage you have, you can self disembark and get off earlier. Just FYI, when we were on the legend last year, we ate breakfast on board, took our time getting off found our luggage, called and waited on the shuttle to our Park n cruise hotel parking, and were on the freeway before 9:30A. SIL who got off with us and was flying home, called us from the airport just after we reached the hotel.

If the ship arrives back in port on time, the airport is only about 7.5 from the port. Just a short cab or shuttle ride. We are crusing the Legend in Oct and flying to/from Indy. We usually use AirTran as well, The earliest return flight we can take is around 2:30, but if they offered one at the time that you have I would probably book it. Even if the ship was late and you missed the earlier flight, AirTran is really good about getting you on the next one. This is just my opinion.

You should be fine with the 12:30 flight. When we cruised the Legend, we had a 11:55 flight time, and the ship was an hour and a half late back to port due to weather issues we encountered, then we were delayed a bit getting cleared & off the ship. We made it and caught our flight just fine.

I just got off Legend this past Sunday

i originally had a flight back home at 2:10 and arrive in PHilly around 4:30

Legend arrived in tampa around 7:45 am that morning

i chose "self assist" disembarkation and left my cabin around 8:30 am - went thru sercurity, check out and off the ship at 8:45 am - was on teh transfer shuttle bus by 9 am - shuttle took off at 9:30 - arrived at the airport a little after 10 am

went to the airport check in counter and asked for a 12 noon flight standby (had 1 seat left) and checked my bags in

got lucky and nailed the standby seat and took the 12 noon flight back home

i'm still wiped out from the vacation and still adjusting getting back to work but you get the idea

if ship docks at the port on-time a "noon'ish" flight is perfect

Thanks all for the information, and think we are going with the 12:30 flight. If ship is late, we will have travel insurance.

I just got off Legend this past Sunday

i'm still wiped out from the vacation and still adjusting getting back to work but you get the idea

if ship docks at the port on-time a "noon'ish" flight is perfect

I took the day off after our cruise to try to get some recouping done before having to head back to the office.

Archived