LAX to San Pedro - Enterprise rate MUCH higher it seems.

Nabalab

Sorry if this topic has been dug into the ground so many times...

After reading about how close Enterprise is to the San Pedro port, I called today for a one-way rate.

My plan is to rent the car from LAX on a Thursday, return it Sunday morning to San Pedro. When plugging in the dates online (from LAX to LAX), it comes out to under $15 a day.

However when calling about the one-way, I was quoted by more than one person (called back a few times) $45 a day + the $40 dropoff fee, totalling over $230. Even after telling them about the rate I saw online, I was told there was nothing I can do about it.

Since it doesn't cost anything to reserve a car, I reserved an LAX r/t and when I get there, I may tell them I plan on dropping it off in San Pedro and just look into paying the fee. Does anyone know if that has worked?

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

After reading about how close Enterprise is to the San Pedro port, I called today for a one-way rate.

My plan is to rent the car from LAX on a Thursday, return it Sunday morning to San Pedro. When plugging in the dates online (from LAX to LAX), it comes out to under $15 a day.

However when calling about the one-way, I was quoted by more than one person (called back a few times) $45 a day + the $40 dropoff fee, totalling over $230. Even after telling them about the rate I saw online, I was told there was nothing I can do about it.

Since it doesn't cost anything to reserve a car, I reserved an LAX r/t and when I get there, I may tell them I plan on dropping it off in San Pedro and just look into paying the fee. Does anyone know if that has worked?

Thats a creative way of doing it, I am sure that they would charge the drop off, Not sure but its probably within their right to charge the extra fees. Call up and ask hypothetically. I have the exact days precruise and I finally decided to do the LAX roundtrip (Alamo-62$ with coupon) and then a execucar shuttle for four (54$?) which was way cheaper than the 286 quoted today from Enterprise. I almost did LAX-LGB but with advice from this website (and the Grand Prix that day) decided to do a LAX roundtrip instead (plus our hotel is closer to LAX)

Now coming back I just decided today to do SAN Pedro to LAX (just one day) and got a rate of 86$ which was similar to a LGB-LAX rental (without the extra cost of the shuttle. Since we are staying overnight at a LAX hotel, we will use the car for the day, return the car late that evening and then shuttle to the Radisson avoiding the parking fees.

Try Hertz.

I am doing the exact opposite and renting from the Hertz closest to the port (Lomita) and dropping it off at LAX. I used carrentals.com to price it initially, but ended up booking thru the Hertz site. They are less than 5 miles from the Port of LA.

The rate was right around $20/day when I booked, but if you are a member of Sam's Club, use code 116718 for the discounted rate. Plus, you can arrange to have them pick you up at the port. There's no mention of a drop fee.

Try Hertz.

I am doing the exact opposite and renting from the Hertz closest to the port (Lomita) and dropping it off at LAX. I used carrentals.com to price it initially, but ended up booking thru the Hertz site. They are less than 5 miles from the Port of LA.

The rate was right around $20/day when I booked, but if you are a member of Sam's Club, use code 116718 for the discounted rate. Plus, you can arrange to have them pick you up at the port. There's no mention of a drop fee.

That's another good idea but I believe that they were closed on Sundays

I think there is a high demand to drop off at Enterprise in San Pedro and the rate reflects it. Let us know if the plan worked.

Archived