Free Handicapped Parking at Port??

PegIra

Hi, I received this post in response to a question about where to park for my husband. I am not sure if our car is considered handicapped adapted. My husband is handicapped, has a handicapped placard for our car and a large rack we put on the back of our car to carry his scooter. We do not have anything built into the car. I was wondering are we considered handicapped, I would think we should be, but who knows. Hope someone can answer for me.

Here is the response I have a question about.

Peg

My husband is in a wheelchair. I drop him off at the terminal along with all our luggage. There's a HC space to the left, along the curb, as you are facing the terminal. Then I go and park the car myself.

Is your vehicle adapted to accommodate the scooter? If so, you are entitled to free parking. When you are leaving, tell the booth attendant. He/she will ask for your license and your HC placard, then he/she will have to see the interior of your vehicle to see if it has been adapted to HC use. [Our van has a ramp for wheelchair access.]

You didn't specifically mention the port you mean... was the original thread about Port Everglades, perhaps?

Found some information on the Port Everglades site. Look for the "Disabled Parking" a little farther down the page.

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/

This gives specific information about how to qualify for a fee waiver.

Hi, I received this post in response to a question about where to park for my husband. I am not sure if our car is considered handicapped adapted. My husband is handicapped, has a handicapped placard for our car and a large rack we put on the back of our car to carry his scooter. We do not have anything built into the car. I was wondering are we considered handicapped, I would think we should be, but who knows. Hope someone can answer for me.

Here is the response I have a question about.

Peg

My husband is in a wheelchair. I drop him off at the terminal along with all our luggage. There's a HC space to the left, along the curb, as you are facing the terminal. Then I go and park the car myself.

Is your vehicle adapted to accommodate the scooter? If so, you are entitled to free parking. When you are leaving, tell the booth attendant. He/she will ask for your license and your HC placard, then he/she will have to see the interior of your vehicle to see if it has been adapted to HC use. [Our van has a ramp for wheelchair access.]

Peg, I am the person you are quoting above.

I answered you on the other thread.

If you check out the link someone provided above, you will see what the parking rules are.

Although they instruct you to get a supervisor before you park, I have never done that. Where I enter the garage is not near any exit booth -- so I just wait until we are leaving after the cruise, and I tell the booth attendant that our van is modified with a ramp.

The attendant will either call a supervisor to inspect the HC equipment, or he/she herself will do it. It does not take more than maybe 5 minutes.

I don't know if your "large rack" qualifies as a "lift" for the scooter.

A supervisor would have to determine that.

You didn't specifically mention the port you mean... was the original thread about Port Everglades, perhaps?

Found some information on the Port Everglades site. Look for the "Disabled Parking" a little farther down the page.

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/

This gives specific information about how to qualify for a fee waiver.

Great info, thanks. It seems clear to me that the parking fee waiver is for vehicles modified so that the disabled driver can enter or leave the vehicle using the specialized ramps/doors/lifts mentioned. If I'm right, the OP's removable wheelchair rack would not qualify. I agree that OP should contact the garage operator to be certain....

Oceanwench,

Thanks so much for your help.. The way the handicapped rules are written, it says you must have a Florida Disabled Toll Permit to get the free parking. # 1, we don't need that and we have a Sun Pass and # 2 it mentions the driver must be unable to use his upperbody to pay tolls. That isn't the case either. I did email the man listed for the disabled tolls and parking, and asked him to clarify it, so I will see if he answers me. I am going to take your advice and park and ask about it when we come back. We had planned on having to pay, so if we do, no surprise, but it would be nice if we didn't have to.

I want to thank everyone who has given us advice and help with websites. I really appreciate it.

Peg

Oceanwench,

Thanks so much for your help.. The way the handicapped rules are written, it says you must have a Florida Disabled Toll Permit to get the free parking. # 1, we don't need that and we have a Sun Pass and # 2 it mentions the driver must be unable to use his upperbody to pay tolls. That isn't the case either. I did email the man listed for the disabled tolls and parking, and asked him to clarify it, so I will see if he answers me. I am going to take your advice and park and ask about it when we come back. We had planned on having to pay, so if we do, no surprise, but it would be nice if we didn't have to.

I want to thank everyone who has given us advice and help with websites. I really appreciate it.

Peg

You are misunderstanding what you read.

You do not have to have a Florida Disabled Toll Permit. Read carefully. It says either a modified vehicle OR a Florida Disabled Toll Permit.

We have a Sun Pass too.

Second, the part about "unable to use upper body to pay tolls" is tied into requirements for a Florida Disabled Toll Permit. It has nothing to do with the parking garage per se.

The law says if your vehicle has certain modifications, you do not have to pay ... OR if you are a person who qualifies for a Florida Disabled Toll Permit, you don't have to pay.

We have a Sun Pass ... we don't qualify for the Florida Disabled Toll Permit ... but we have a modified van with a ramp for the wheelchair, so according to state law, we do not have to pay for parking.

Believe me -- I live down here, and I cruise a lot.

P.S. Excellent idea to just wait and see what happens when you leave the garage. You might end up with a nice surprise!

Archived