Radiance Problems 2/22-3/5

pilot

When we checked in at the pier in San Diego, we were told that our room (3064) would not be ready until 3 pm because they were cleaning the carpet. When we got onboard (11:30) I went to see what was wrong with the room. They had a fan drying the carpet. I asked a room steward what had happened. He wouldn’t tell me. I noticed a “smell”. After the muster drill we went to the cabin and the smell was terrible!! Our cabin steward “Marsha” came to the room and told us the smell was bad and that she was calling her supervisor. We were then told that we should go to a bar before dinner and they would pay for our drinks and that they were going to replace the carpet while we were at dinner. When we came back from dinner “Marsha” told us that they were moving us to another cabin on deck 4 (4560). We hadn’t unpacked our bags yet so it was no problem.

The next morning our toilet was not working. A pipe had broken ten cabins down from us and they needed to replace a pipe.

They fixed the pipe and the toilet worked until Day 9. They were fixing other problems and our toilet was out of service for 3 hours in the morning.

We talked to other passengers that had problems (i.e. flooded cabins, brown water) and had to change cabins.

The staff has been excellent in trying to do their best to fix the problem. Marko (desk clerk) went out of his way to help us.

I am telling this, not to complain, but to let people know this info if you are going to book on this ship.

I would not hesitate to take this ship again, but there are a lot of people not to happy about the problems.

Sounds like they really did everything they could to help you.

The Radiance......:) our favorite ship :) ......has had some plumbing issues and they are in the process of replacing pipes and updating the system.

Hey, you've changed...........!:D

Will we see you again when she goes to Australia?:)

Same cruise - 3038 and 3040 had soaked carpeting due to a 'burst pipe'. This we returned to after being ashore in Cabo. Upsetting to come back to cabin door wide open and workers in cabinet next door and in cabin. Neighbors were moved. We were told there were no other cabins. 2 days of fans. 2 days after that, carpet was still damp. Another cabin was offered. Where did that come from? No, thanks. Not moving now. Another day with 2 fans in cabin. Next day carpeting was replaced. Bottle of wine received from guest relations.

Heard of issues on decks 7 and 9. Windjammer had ceiling leaks in 2 days about 10 feet apart.

Otherwise, the ship was great, the crew was wonderful, and the ports were fun.

What irked me some was a pervasive attitude that ships springing leaks was to be expected and tolerated. It would be an annoyance if it happened to you, too. I know the crew has probably been briefed to keep a game face on when a 'leak' conversation starts. This was my 7th cruise, but the first on a ship with leaks! Happy Sails!

This is one of those things that I have never understood. It seems like there are always conversations about burst water or sewage pipes on ships with some ships exceptionally prone to them. What is it about ships that make pipes burst so often? Is it the rocking or something? It doesn't seem like land buildings have the number of pipe issues that ships do.

Just a quick comment:

Deck 4 cabin--no plumbing problems but expect the water to

be shut off for several minutes at a time. Luckly I hadn't made it

into the shower yet when one evening it was off for almost an hour:eek:

Carol

We are sailing out on the Radiance on Friday....hopefully all the problems will have been solved!

All of the problems probably won't be solved by then, but reports seem to show that they are scattered and random and as they continue working on them there are fewer cabins that have problems. From the most recent reports they are at least very quick to offer solutions if you should be unfortunate enough to have a stateroom with problems, to the extent that they have moved people to other staterooms when conditions made it necessary. Take heart that they are working to correct the situation, some progress is apparently being made, and they will do their best to help you if you do encounter a problem. :)

Archived