Dolphin Discovery Reopening in Anguilla?

ucfknight07

Hi all...

We will be sailing aboard Freedom of the Seas in early August, with stops at St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I am aware that Dolphin Discovery has a location in Tortola, and offers a ferry between St. Thomas and Tortola to get to that location. I would prefer to have more time in St. Thomas over St. Maarten, though, and have been trying to find out if Dolphin Discovery will be reopening their location in Anguilla. From googling to try to find my answer, I know there's a bit of controversy between the government, Dolphin Discovery, and the residents of Anguilla, and I couldn't find anything that definitively answered whether all of that was worked out and if Dolphin Discovery was moving forward with their new location there.

PS - I am aware that some folks on here disagree with the keeping of dolphins in captivity and the upkeep of these facilities. I am not asking for your opinion in context to that debate - please keep your response on topic and related to the question presented :)

I can't seem to find any information that addresses your question. I will keep searching for you.

For those who are unclear of the "debate" the OP is talking about, a good place to learn is here:

http://www.thecovemovie.com/WatchTheTrailer.htm

Check out the web site. It should give you an idea.

(Please note that I have NOT given my opinion on this matter and I HAVE attempted to address your question directly).

I can't seem to find any information that addresses your question. I will keep searching for you.

For those who are unclear of the "debate" the OP is talking about, a good place to learn is here:

(Please note that I have NOT given my opinion on this matter and I HAVE attempted to address your question directly).

papa_smoke, No worries! I just want to keep this from turning into a moral/ethical debate, which it seems like most threads I came across on the topic of Dolphin Discovery turn into!

Thanks for the info on the Cove, I heard that it won an Oscar on Sunday but I did not know that it was available on DVD yet.

To the OP I would also like to know if Anguilla decides to go ahead and reopen a dolphin encounter. Information such as this can help people on both sides of this issue.

Precisely why I answered as carefully as I could. This IS a heated debate but people usually don't or won't change their minds. It is good that they have available all the information possible. That way, they CAN make up their own minds and there SHOULD be no misinformed opinions.

STILL can't find info on the opening. Are you SURE it is on THAT island?

They did have a location on Anguilla, which closed and they were supposed to be relocating to a new location, however, the relocation was delayed/stalled out, and that's the last info I could find. I would say that it's not reopened yet... so I'm trying to find out if they still have plans to reopen there or if they have been scrapped.

I came across the live chat on Dolphin Discovery's web site, and this is the response I received when I asked whether or not the Anguilla location would be open by August:

"I am sorry but we will not have it on operation any longer as per managment information."

When I asked if that meant there are no plans to reopen the Anguilla location, the rep stated "that is correct."

So it looks like Anguilla will remain closed. I'm sure the folks that live there will be happy to know that, since I came across a lot of blogs and articles opposed to the facility. I guess we'll try to do the excursion to Tortola while we're in St. Thomas!

Archived