Advice on booking aft cabin..Deck 5.. 5185

Xtchr

Just read that there is NO sun on Deck 5 aft cabins? Are the railing plexiglass so you can see through the railings when sitting down?

Would Deck 4 aft cabins be better? We booked Deck 5 because the balcony looked much larger.

Now we're concerned about "movement"... is the stern a problem?

Just read that there is NO sun on Deck 5 aft cabins? Are the railing plexiglass so you can see through the railings when sitting down?

Would Deck 4 aft cabins be better? We booked Deck 5 because the balcony looked much larger.

Now we're concerned about "movement"... is the stern a problem?

Here is a link to Westerdam and Zuiderdam's Aft Staterooms on Deck 4 and Deck 6, unfortunately I do not have photos yet of Deck 5 aft staterooms, but looking and comparing Deck 4 vs Deck 6 (size seems to be the only difference)

Westerdam

Deck 4 - SC 4185 Deluxe Verandah Suite Stateroom (Pleixglass railing) http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/index.html

Deck 6 - SC 6175 Deluxe Verandah Suite Stateroom (this is NOT a wrap around stateroom) http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/index.html

Zuiderdam

Deck 4 - VB 4183 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom (not an aft wrap around stateroom) http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/index.html

Deck 6 - SC 6166 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/index.html

I wish I could help with Deck 5 aft stateroom photos, but can only say that I believe the only difference between Decks 4, 5 and 6 aft staterooms will be the size of each and the overhang from above.

I would not be concerned about "movement" I'd be more concerned about having to get off the ship. They'd literally have to pry my embedded fingernails out of the walls to get me out of these aft staterooms!!

Joanie

We book deck 5 aft most of the time...on the Vista class we enjoy the cover in the carribbean, you can get enough sun in the mornings or evenings (depending on which direction you are going), yet you can still sit out on your balcony without the sun beating down on you all the time... In Alaska it was great because it rains frequently and you could still be outside.... same with going through Panama Canal when it rained...so glad we were covered. There is plexiglass... now if you are sun worshipers you might want to opt for rooms on 4... they have good size balconies... DB777

I would recommend that you try to get one of the outboard cabins 5188 or 5189. The reason for this is that while the inboard cabins like 5185 are about 18 inches longer due to the curve of the stern, the outboard cabins are about 8 inches wider. 8 inches doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in the cabin's livability. The choke points in these cabins are in the hallway past the closets, and at the foot of the bed. With the extra width there, you will have much easier access to your closets, and two people will be able to pass each other at the foot of the bed.

The view of the wake from any of these aft cabins is hypnotic, and your veranda will be considerably bigger than any of the veranda cabins along the sides of the ship. By all means get an aft-facing cabin. You will love it.

I'm asking about the Westerdam and the aft cabins ..specifically 5185... will it be too windy or bumpy back there? We booked it because the balcony looked bigger, but now I'm afraid there might be too much motion.

Motion won't be bad unless you hit severe weather ... not like being near the bow in any case. No wind at all hardly, since the balcony is completely covered on that ship. The railing is directly below the deck 6 railing, so you will get a little bit of sun if the ship is facing the right direction. We had bad vibrations several nights in a deck 4 stern cabin on the Noordam, however.

Motion won't be bad unless you hit severe weather ... not like being near the bow in any case. No wind at all hardly, since the balcony is completely covered on that ship. The railing is directly below the deck 6 railing, so you will get a little bit of sun if the ship is facing the right direction. We had bad vibrations several nights in a deck 4 stern cabin on the Noordam, however.

Here is a link to a photo of the Aft of Westerdam, you can see deck 5 (the one with the holes in the top) http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/Westerdam-Aft-View-02-2010_sparky-elpaso.jpg

A Great Deck to be on in my opinion, aft wise.

Joanie

I'm asking about the Westerdam and the aft cabins ..specifically 5185... will it be too windy or bumpy back there? We booked it because the balcony looked bigger, but now I'm afraid there might be too much motion.

There is a considerable amount of noise from below. Windy? No, most often, at least in the Caribbean, nary a breeze. It's why we switched back to staterooms toward the aft, but on the port side. A little less expensive, too!

There is a considerable amount of noise from below. Windy? No, most often, at least in the Caribbean, nary a breeze. It's why we switched back to staterooms toward the aft, but on the port side. A little less expensive, too!

I've done 4183 x2 on the Zuiderdam, a sister ship. I like the 4th floor, it is more open to the air, while the new overhang seems to be a big dark cover. But the balcony is more expansive. 4th floor still has room for 2 chairs and a table, and one chair is a lounger. You may like 5, I've never been in it, but when looking up, it seemed very cave-like.

We have never had issues with noise or vibrations or wind. The only problem we had in 4185 on the Oosterdam, was the sneaky smell of bacon really early in the morning. We had to roll towels by the door. I'm not kidding, it kept me from falling back asleep. All I could do was think "Must eat bacon"

There are slight vibrations, which really lull us to sleep. We hit a very rough day one year, and the roll was a little more severe. But once out of 25 days in the aft on 4.

Isn't 5185 on the Ooosterdam "Lisa's room" aka laffnvegas? I think I have seen her pictures of it.

Archived