ES and past guest upgrades

TracersQQ

I'm sure this has been discussed - I did do a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. When I call my PVP, she automatically gives me the 2 category upgrade -but if I book for the es price will I still get the upgrade? or should I just book for the past guest price?

I did a LOT of searching on this point before I booked my trip on Freedom for this fall.

For most of the trips I looked at (mostly 7-8 days in the fall) after the upgrade, ES was still cheaper, but not by much, usually no more than $40, often only $20.

So I'd say unless you're absolutely certain that your plans won't change, take the upgrade. ES requires a non-refundable deposit - they'll only transfer it to another cruise that you have to take within a certain time limit, you CAN'T get your money back, and you'll be charged a $50 change fee, oh yeah, and no name changes allowed. I took that risk and booked the ES on Freedom since I don't have to worry about what might happen to a traveling companion and the date isn't too far away. But for a cruise that I was taking with someone else, I'd pass on ES and take the upgrade if the price difference was no more than what I saw in my research - that's what I did for my trip on Magic next year. The extra fare is peanuts in the context of what you'll spend on the entire trip (cruise, air, shore tours, drinks, shopping, pre- or post-cruise hotel, gambling, etc.), and there won't be any funny business if you have to change your plans.

Granted, there is the refund, oops, onboard credit if you book ES and Carnival later offers a lower price, but that's strictly two birds in the bush - if you feel like you're getting a good price, take the past guest/bird in the hand, and relax, it's Carnival, you're getting tremendous value either way.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

Id compare the prices for the past guest rate for the cabin you want vs. the ES price and see how much more expensive the past guest rate is and then you can decide if you can live with the ES rules.

Almost always past guest is more expensive.. but not always.

Archived