Orient Beach - ship tour or on our own

Josie2

OB is expensive. If you want a less expensive beach experience, stay on the boardwalk in Philipsburg. Take the water taxi to town. Beach clubs are right there. Most are inexpensive...2 chairs, 2 drinks $20. Beach is clean, water is nice, and price is right.

I vacation in St. Martin often. Orient Beach is gorgeous, but expensive...and worth it. On my last cruise, the beach excursion was $56pp included transportation, chaises at Waikiki Beach Club, drinks, and lunch. It was a fair deal. Most people only count the cab ride and the chaises, they forget the food and drinks. A drink on the beach is often $10 (beer and soda $4-$5), lunch is french and good can easily be $30-$40pp.

Just curious what they included for lunch. could you get seafood (fresh fish) or was it burgers and sandwiches? What drinks did they provide? Limited/Unlimited/type?

And finally what were the times - what time did you meet at the ship/pier for the trip and how long at the beach?

I'm always inclined to travel on my own but would like to know the facts about the alternatives.

My husband I will also like to go to Orient Beach. We will be on the FOS cruise, 7/18. Looking at the ship excursions, they are indeed expensive, so we'll probably do it on our own....one question, after we leave the beach (ship docks at 8, so we'll be there probably 9 - 9:30)at approx. 1 PM, we'd like to do some shopping (at least, I will),how long will it take us to get to Philipsburg? Also, what is the approximated cost of the taxi? Thanks, Amy

One more thing ...is there a map showing what Orient Beach looks like???

My husband I will also like to go to Orient Beach. We will be on the FOS cruise, 7/18. Looking at the ship excursions, they are indeed expensive, so we'll probably do it on our own....one question, after we leave the beach (ship docks at 8, so we'll be there probably 9 - 9:30)at approx. 1 PM, we'd like to do some shopping (at least, I will),how long will it take us to get to Philipsburg? Also, what is the approximated cost of the taxi? Thanks, Amy

One more thing ...is there a map showing what Orient Beach looks like???

Here is a link to a map of Orient Beach

Taxi doesn't take too long - I'd guess 20 min. Cab fare costs around $20 each way for one or 2 people in the taxi and if there are more people then the charge is per person as low as $6/pp each way.

The map in the link above is great - it has some links in it as well to web sites, or more photos, of some of the beach bars. Generally the beach bars furthest on the left (south end), but not as far left as Club Orient, are the least expensive for chair rental and drinks and from Kon Tiki to CoCo is a little more expensive and in some cases a little fancier. Some of the restaurants are very expensive so take a good look at the menus before you sit down.

OK guys, I'm a little confused here...I looked at the map of OB and I saw many sections of the beach, Kakoa Kon Tiki, Waikiki, etc. but which one of the sections are better. I read that Le Strings is a good place to get chair/umbrellas, food, and restroom pass. Where is that place?

Also, when we get our taxi at the cruise port, can we tell the driver which section we want to go to.....

Sorry, I'm so thick about this, but.....it's a bit daunting for a new cruiser.

Amy:confused::confused:

OK guys, I'm a little confused here...I looked at the map of OB and I saw many sections of the beach, Kakoa Kon Tiki, Waikiki, etc. but which one of the sections are better. I read that Le Strings is a good place to get chair/umbrellas, food, and restroom pass. Where is that place?

Also, when we get our taxi at the cruise port, can we tell the driver which section we want to go to.....

Sorry, I'm so thick about this, but.....it's a bit daunting for a new cruiser.

Amy:confused::confused:

I think Le STring is in the section of the beach between Pedros and Kon Tiki. If you don't tell a taxi where to drop you they will either drop you off at a general taxi stand near that end of the beach, I think near Pedros, or at one of the more expensive beach clubs like Kakao or Bikini Beach if they have some sort of relationship with the operator (not sure of these are financial or social but I presume that is the reason they'll steer people to a specific place).

The best place? Well if you read this thread and similar ones you'll find that is up for debate - it really depends on your own preferences. I'd suggest that if you're traveling light then walk around for 15 minutes and then decide. Ask how much chair rentals are at the south (left on the map) and and then at places like Kakao or La Playa and check the menu's as you walk. If you want to just drop your stuff right away then just pick a place and don't sweat it - you can still check out the other places for lunch and/or next trip - it is all great as you're at the beach!!

BTW - one of my favorites is Kako - a little more expensive there but far from the most expensive place on the beach. And they have nice seafood dishes at their restuarant.

Thanks posters....We'll tell the taxi driver to drop us off at Kakao. We'll park there and walk around. However, if it's too hot, we might just stay there. One more questions, I assume we can get a taxi near that part to take us back...we'd want to do some shopping (at least I will) in Philipsburg before we get back on the ship. I think a poster said it takes approximately 20 minutes to get back from Orient??

Amy

Thanks posters....We'll tell the taxi driver to drop us off at Kakao. We'll park there and walk around. However, if it's too hot, we might just stay there. One more questions, I assume we can get a taxi near that part to take us back...we'd want to do some shopping (at least I will) in Philipsburg before we get back on the ship. I think a poster said it takes approximately 20 minutes to get back from Orient??

Amy

No problem - your driver will try to set a time to bring you back. If you you aren't sure tell him. There are usually taxi's at Kakao and the worst would be you'd have to walk to the main taxi stand by Pedros or they could call you a taxi - but it should be no problem if you don't want to pre-arrange a time.

Archived