Orient Beach - ship tour or on our own

Josie2

We've only been to Orient Beach once - loved it. Took ships tour which of course is way too expensive - but convenient. I think its about $45 per person, which includes chair (comfy with cushions) umbrella and all you can drink rum punch, and transportation. The way I figure it on our own would be about $20 each way cab, $15-20 for umbrella and chairs (comfy or not?) and then drinks on a tab. Any views on whether this convenience is just simply worth it?

We've only been to Orient Beach once - loved it. Took ships tour which of course is way too expensive - but convenient. I think its about $45 per person, which includes chair (comfy with cushions) umbrella and all you can drink rum punch, and transportation. The way I figure it on our own would be about $20 each way cab, $15-20 for umbrella and chairs (comfy or not?) and then drinks on a tab. Any views on whether this convenience is just simply worth it?

It would cost you about 1/2 the price of the cruiseship excursion. Transportation (assuming sharing a taxi van - very easy to do) would be about $6 pp each way and lounger rental would be about $20 for two loungers and an umbrella with maybe a free drink (depends on the bar).

So total cost per person would be about $25.

AND even more important, you would be setting the schedule and deciding which part of the beach to be on.

Have to agree with previous poster. Just returned from trip incl this island , when I go again I will go straight to Orient beach and go the area occupied by Kakow ( dark blue parasols and thick loungers). We were on atrip and only had under 2 hours here and were told to use Pedros - this is the first area where you can be dropped off. DON't do it - get your taxi to take you to Kakou , a way along the beach --- you will love it ! Enjoy , just wish I had known before we went.

We will be on The Dream in July, and one of the ports is St. Martin. We would like to go to Orient Beach, but I can't find any excursions that specifically mention Orient Beach. Does anyone know the name of the Orient Beach excursion, or is a taxi the best way?

We will be on The Dream in July, and one of the ports is St. Martin. We would like to go to Orient Beach, but I can't find any excursions that specifically mention Orient Beach. Does anyone know the name of the Orient Beach excursion, or is a taxi the best way?

Just take a taxi - cheaper than an excursion and easy.

Hi Salty Jim1 Please can you tell me any more about the Kakow area. Is it family friendly? I know there can be nudity anywhere on the beach but don't want to be right in the middle of the clothes optional area. I was also wondering if there were sea trampolines or other activities for older children in this area.

This will be our first experience of the Caribbean and I am grateful for any information.

Hi, Wilson4

Kakao(spelt it wrong last time) is well away from the clothing optional area. It is about 200 yards at least from Pedro's which is the nearest to that area. I don't remember seeing playthings in the water on this beach at all, after saying that it was extremely busy with 6 ships in port that day including Oasis of the Seas. I believe Kontiki is also good , you are best to walk along and have a look. Try and get there early for the best spots.. It is a beautiful beach and you will not be disappointed. Good luck in your planning.

my question was legitimate and not about the value of the rum punch. I have seen taxi fares quoted from $6 per person to $25 for two each way. And I have seen info on uncomfortable chairs vs. comfy chairs so was seeking information to enable an informed decision.

There are numerous beach bars at Orient. Of those, five are extremely high priced:

Kontiki, Kakao, Bikini Beach, Waikiki and Coco Beach

They offer no bargains on beach lounges and the food prices are over the top. Add in the Euro to US Dollar conversion to boot. Not only that, but Bikini Beach is where most of the cruisers are herded together.

There are numerous beach bars at Orient. Of those, five are extremely high priced:

Kontiki, Kakao, Bikini Beach, Waikiki and Coco Beach

They offer no bargains on beach lounges and the food prices are over the top. Add in the Euro to US Dollar conversion to boot. Not only that, but Bikini Beach is where most of the cruisers are herded together.

So then where would you recommend, kal?

So then where would you recommend, kal?

As I mentioned, there are numerous beach bars to consider. My suggestion is to have the taxi driver drop you at Pedro's. From there proceed to the left as you face the water. You will see various beach bars all of which are reasonably priced, many with 1 Euro=$1. Food and beverage prices are quite affordable.

Check them out and find the one that matches your comfort level. The further you walk down the beach (starting at Kon Tiki) the prices will substantially increase.

Josie - you can do better on your own. $6 each way with a full taxi and $10 for a cushy lounger with umbrella & drink, so about $25 round trip.. We liked the Le String. Check out the Maryland flag, the owner is from there and he's a real nice guy.. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
my question was legitimate and not about the value of the rum punch. I have seen taxi fares quoted from $6 per person to $25 for two each way. And I have seen info on uncomfortable chairs vs. comfy chairs so was seeking information to enable an informed decision.

Taxis prices are fixed by by a combination of zone AND by the number of passengers. For one or two from the port to Orient Beach the price will be $18 plus any tip you wish. If there are 4 folks in the taxi it will be $7 each passenger and if the taxi/van is full it will be $6 per passenger plus whatever tip you wish. The trip back is usually full if you leave from Pedro's, so that one will likely be at $6 pp but you may want to opt to go with two on the way to Orient beach to get there early, particularly if there are a lot of ships in port. The cruise ships tours drop off a bit later in the day so if you get off the ship first thing, and go directly to the beach, you can walk along the beach and pick whatever you like.

If you do a search you will find a photo of the poster at the taxi stand with the fares listed.

Does anybody know what bar/restaurant has the best food? Looking for basically bar food, burgers, chicken fingers, sandwiches, fries and such. We will be at the beach for the day and would like to campout (chairs/umbrellas) where we can get a quick bite to eat for lunch. And of course adult beverages :)

TBN Hubby here...

Pedro's has good Ribs.

Andy and Cheryl's (formally Baywatch) has good Burgers and so forth as well as more elaborate dishes.

The Perch ( at Club Orient and clothing optional) has good burgers and daily specials for lunch.

A couple of 'doors' further north from Andy and Cheryl's is a French restaurant that has some really great food but I can't remember the name right now. This one is owned by a young couple and they probably will have their 1-YO baby there so that might help.

Kon Tiki has good but a bit pricier food.

The Pirate was good and relatively inexpensive if it is still open, but I think it is gone now

Most have the menus posted, including the prices, out front. Haven't been to all of them, but all we have been to have been good. My opinion is that you will probably like which ever one you select based on the menu out front

Does anybody know what bar/restaurant has the best food? Looking for basically bar food, burgers, chicken fingers, sandwiches, fries and such. We will be at the beach for the day and would like to campout (chairs/umbrellas) where we can get a quick bite to eat for lunch. And of course adult beverages :)

The beach is lined with great bar/restaurants. Best bet is to find a place and do a little walking to look at the menus. Prices and menus vary dramatically. From inexpensive basic burgers to fancier menus and seafood.

My wife and I will be in St Martin on Apr 20 from 10 - 6. We want to do Orient Beach and some shopping. With the Carnival going on what time should we leave the beach to have a couple hours of shopping prior to going back on the ship. Shopping suggestions would be great. As with all women ( at least the ones I know ) jewelery is the focus of the cruise.

Thanks

We will be in St. Maarten on June 5. I would like to know which section of Orient Beach to go to for less expensive meals. Are the bars/restaurants closer to Club Orient more expensive than those further north?

Also, should we plan a couple of hours to shop and walk around in Phillipsburg? The boardwalk looked pretty neat from the pictures that I have seen.

We will be in St. Maarten on June 5. I would like to know which section of Orient Beach to go to for less expensive meals. Are the bars/restaurants closer to Club Orient more expensive than those further north?...

No - I think the opposite is generally the case - the bars and food stands closest to Club O, the south end of the beach, are the least expensive.

...Also, should we plan a couple of hours to shop and walk around in Phillipsburg? The boardwalk looked pretty neat from the pictures that I have seen.

Really depends on your own preferences and how much time you want to spend shopping. My wife loves shopping there and can easily take a good part of the day shopping. Last trip we were babysitting so some friends could do a sailing excursions and all we did was hang around downtown Philipsburg and had an enjoyable day there. If you want to shop there I'd figure at least a couple hours including time for getting too and from the ship. It can easily take 20 to 30 minutes from your stateroom to downtown including time to walk from the ship to the pier areas where you catch a water taxi or cab into town.

We will be in St. Maarten on June 5. I would like to know which section of Orient Beach to go to for less expensive meals. Are the bars/restaurants closer to Club Orient more expensive than those further north?

Also, should we plan a couple of hours to shop and walk around in Phillipsburg? The boardwalk looked pretty neat from the pictures that I have seen.

\

When we went to Orient Beach back in October we walked the beach looking for a reasonable deal on a lounger and found a wonderful deal at Le String. They had a sign along the water advertising " $8 chair/umbrella and 1 free drink" deal. They also had a bathroom that you could use. Many of the beach places try to entice you by saying they have a bathroom when in fact they do not. The free drink can be anything from a frozen type to beer. The staff were very friendly and the fries we ordered were reasonable and cheap! We are going back in a couple of weeks.

The taxi ride over to Orient Beach was $6pp in a shared van. When we walked out to the area where taxis etc are waiting the guys tried to steer us into a taxi for a much higher rate. I declined and told them I was looking for the $6pp rides. They grumbled and directed me to one of the vans. Within a few minutes we were off to the beach.

Upon return from the beach we headed to the ship to drop off our beach gear. We went back out and headed to the water taxi area. They took us over to the shopping areas. I wanted to try one of the guavaberry drinks people rave about so we hit the Guavaberry Emporium first. It was something I was glad I had tried but nothing like what I was expecting. We did some walking through the shops and headed back to the ship.

Our ship will be departing at 5 p.m. and will no doubt require all passengers back on board by 4:30 p.m. This being the case, what would be a safe time to get a taxi ride back from Orient Beach? I don't want to miss the ship:eek:

Our ship will be departing at 5 p.m. and will no doubt require all passengers back on board by 4:30 p.m. This being the case, what would be a safe time to get a taxi ride back from Orient Beach? I don't want to miss the ship:eek:

Hopefully the trip back should be 20 minutes or less, but I would allow 40.

I'd plan for some last minute shopping and/or drinking at the Cruise Facility before boarding the ship. Leave Orient by 3:00.

gary

I vacation in St. Martin often. Orient Beach is gorgeous, but expensive...and worth it. On my last cruise, the beach excursion was $56pp included transportation, chaises at Waikiki Beach Club, drinks, and lunch. It was a fair deal. Most people only count the cab ride and the chaises, they forget the food and drinks. A drink on the beach is often $10 (beer and soda $4-$5), lunch is french and good can easily be $30-$40pp.

Archived