Watch out for FLL taxis!

marykdan

I just returned from a sailing on the Crown Princess on Saturday (3/13/2010). We took a taxi from the port back to FLL airport. After the driver unloaded our luggage, I asked him how much, and he told me $20. Fortunately, I had looked at the meter before we got out of the car, and I knew that it said $12.50.

There were two numbers, the $12.50 I mentioned and a figure on the right-hand side that said $2.00. I figured that the $2.00 is for a flag drop or a port add-on, but what I didn't know was whether it had been included in the $12.50, or whether I owed $14.50.

When I complained about his $20 figure, he lied and said that it was more than the meter because we had a van taxi. I had been prepared to give him $20, but I told him that he had just blown it with me. I paid him $15, and he flipped me off as he got back into his car.

I am mad at myself on two fronts. First, I wish I had had the presence of mind to get his tag number -- it all happened so fast, that I didn't think of it until I was inside the airport. Second, I wish that I had paid him exactly $12.50. If I did indeed owe him $14.50, I would have been happy to pay him that after he summoned a policeman over to see the situation. I doubt that he would have called any authority.

Be on the alert. For me, it's not the five bucks -- it's the principle of it. Watch your meter in Ft Lauderdale!

You'd think if it cost more for a "van" taxi, the meter would reflect that. We had stayed the night before our cruise at a hotel that offered free shuttle service to the port, but used a taxi after the cruise back to the airport, I was surprised at the cost for such a short trip, and my cost was $12.50.

I am almost relived to see your post. We are a party of seven that took 2 taxi's to the airport from the Freedom on March 7,2010. I was seated in the back where I could see the meter and noticed that it was $14.50 when we stopped at the airport. When I handed the driver the fare plus a tip he told me it was an automatic $20.00 charge to go to the airport. I told him I could see the meter and that it had been running so I was not aware of the $20.00 charge as being "automatic". It was not hard to tell he was just trying to get more $ from us so I turned and walked away. I also felt like I should have only given him the $14.50 that was on the meter. After talking to the rest of our group that got out of the cab right behind us, I was even more upset that I gave him extra. Their driver was extremely polite and helpful (ours never spoke) and charged them the $14.00 charge that was on their meter. They gave their driver the same as I gave ours and he thanked them shook their hands and said he hoped to see them again. Same company, same distance, just different drivers. It is to bad that they all could not take a lesson from the driver that was in the second cab!! I was the same as you when I got into the airport. I wish I had kept his cab number but thought maybe our incident was not the norm. Guess I was wrong. We will be more careful when we go back next year to get a quote before we get in!!

We've done a lot of traveling over the years and without a doubt the worst, most dishonest taxi drivers we've come across have been in Fort Lauderdale. They are a sleezy bunch.

TRY GREECE!!!!:rolleyes:

when the draw bridge is down and your hotel is on the "other" side! We sat in the taxi w/o A/C for 15 minutes and watched the meter tick away. For a trip that should have been $12.50, it ended up being $27!!:eek: For that reason alone we always stay on the port side of the causeway unless a free shuttle is included - which is our preference. So those of you who are at Hyatt Pier 66, Renaissance be aware.

when the draw bridge is down and your hotel is on the "other" side! We sat in the taxi w/o A/C for 15 minutes and watched the meter tick away. For a trip that should have been $12.50, it ended up being $27!!:eek: For that reason alone we always stay on the port side of the causeway unless a free shuttle is included - which is our preference. So those of you who are at Hyatt Pier 66, Renaissance be aware.

The Renaissance on SE 17th Street is on the Port side of the river, west of the Pier 66.

Archived