Who is the "PERFECT" X passenger??

Danno

One of the main reasons I love cruising is the anonymity of everyone on board.We all eat in the same dinning room get served the same food etc.I just feel that too much emphasis has been placed on what room you have and how many cruies you have been on.I like to be able to sit down next to someone in the lounge,or pool area. and have a conversation and not have to disclose whether or not I am in a suite or have ever been in one.I have been a cruise critic member for several years , this board used to make me feel good and helped make the days go faster till I cruised.

Danno my comment was in no way related to you.You bring some needed humor to this board.

Ann

That is an interesting point and goes hand in hand with what others have mentioned. Should X be more concerned with retaining the loyal cruiser (prior to 9/11) or should they go for the "new" cruiser who has a different mind set then the other.

After my post above, I'll rewind the screen and return to this one for just a minute. It may be easier to answer now.

I think you are mistakenly assuming that these are Celebrity's only two options.

If I were on the RCI board, and were convinced that there was good business in maintaining and expanding upon the Celebrity "departures" concept for all of their ships, I'd be looking for ways to market my product to all of the many cruisers (old and new) who would appreciate what my loyal cruisers have appreciated all along. My guess is that, especially with the aging of the population, the experience that Celebrity seems to wish to offer is going to appeal to an increasing number of people. Hoping that word of mouth alone will get the job done just isn't realistic.

In spite of the X ads I've seen on the tube, I don't think that the average person looking for their first cruise understands the product differentiators at all, and I'm sure that most of the TA's aren't being as helpful in this regard as they could be, either. Many of them have never set foot on an X ship. The average bloke has access to better information from Consumer Reports on which disposable razor to buy than what he's going to do with his much larger cruise budget.

Take a bigger share of the market by doing a better job of marketing the best of what makes you unique. That's my suggestion.

I'm not asking that Celebrity break the bank, but if they've got something to say, resting on the Conde' Nast laurels and telling me I'll be treated "famously" in a few TV ads isn't telling me why the Celebrity experience suits me best. How many of Celebrity's more recently acquired but now loyal customers cruised on another line first before "discovering" Celebrity? There's a clue in that, fellas.

I wonder what will happen IF this new plan fails, and many of their loyal passengers will have moved on to other Cruise Lines. I have to imagine that many Loyal Customers will be lost with all of these changes.

While we certainly haven't written Celebrity off entirely, we have "moved on" to Crystal. I find it interesting that while Celebrity is trying to offer longer, more exotic itineraries, Crystal, on the other hand, is scheduling select shorter sailings in an effort to capture mainstream cruisers. They are also offering select "value collection" sailings that are hauntingly close (if not cheaper) than sailings of comparable length to Celebrity. And once you step aboard Crystal, you'll know why it's so hard to give Celebrity, at their hiked pricing, a serious look.

At the risk of sounding cynical... Celebrity would be delighted with someone who gambled a LOT, drank a LOT, didn't eat much, used the SPA a LOT. Booked a cruise even before they got off the ship. Bought several expensive excursions in the ports and shoped in the ships stores a LOT. :)

Oh and cruised ten times a year.

You can be ugly and fat, old or young, skinny and pretty. Bald or long hair. You can be from any part of the world. As long as you have a high limit on your credit card and no will power, they are gonna love ya.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head.... like the saying goes,,, "money talks...." ;)

Archived