FYI - Oslo 2010 Cruise Piers Posted

FYI - The Oslo Port Authority has finally posted the 2010 Cruise List with pier assignments:

http://www.oslohavn.no/english/home/cruise-list/

Søndre Akershuskai and Vippetangen are the two centrally-located quays alongside the Akershus Fortress in front of the city hall. A few ships besides RCCL Vision of the Seas will be docking at the Filipstad container and ferry port to the west, and a few smaller ships will be docking at Revierkaia on the east side of Akershus.

I've posted all of the pier locations here on Google Maps.

Søndre Akershuskai and Vippetangen are the two centrally-located quays alongside the Akershus Fortress in front of the city hall.

The ideal and best location to be docked is right next to the Akershus Fortress. Here is a picture showing our ship parked in this slot. It is very, very close to the City Hall that is well worth a visit to see the interior art and design there. Lots to see and enjoy in Oslo.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The main, historic fortress where many cruise ships dock in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Oslo’s City Hall exterior and interior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great map! It cleared things up and raised some questions for me.

On the morning of 5 June 2010 we need to get to this pier from downtown Oslo. How is this best accomplished. RCCL's website talks about a complementary shuttle from the parking lot of Oslo Central Train Station - should we go over there? Will they let us use the shuttle

Or is a taxi a better idea (if you can book one that day!)? If so, does it drop you at this particular pier, or does security only allow you to get out at the terminal entrance?

Is this an easy walk (all downhill? we are in our 60's and not very physically fit) from the city center?

Is there public transportation or a shuttle bus

As you can see, this is my first cruise.

Once I figure this out, I need to find a hotel-any suggestions?

Thanks to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the great map! It cleared things up and raised some questions for me.

On the morning of 5 June 2010 we need to get to this pier from downtown Oslo. How is this best accomplished. RCCL's website talks about a complementary shuttle from the parking lot of Oslo Central Train Station - should we go over there? Will they let us use the shuttle

Or is a taxi a better idea (if you can book one that day!)? If so, does it drop you at this particular pier, or does security only allow you to get out at the terminal entrance?

Is this an easy walk (all downhill? we are in our 60's and not very physically fit) from the city center?

Is there public transportation or a shuttle bus

As you can see, this is my first cruise.

Once I figure this out, I need to find a hotel-any suggestions?

Thanks to you all.

The pier is a bit of a walk from downtown, and if you have much luggage at all, I wouldn't suggest it. We did a 3-night cruise with small rolling carry-on size bags and walked from National Theater, and even though we're young and walk around the city a lot, it wasn't particularly convenient.

I don't know much about the RCCL shuttle, but if you're staying nearby, it might be worth trying. You might call RCCL and find out if it's something you need to book in advance (i.e. part of a transfer package).

Otherwise, a taxi would be the easiest option. The trip from downtown would only be about 10 minutes, and depending on traffic, time of day, etc. would probably cost around 150 NOK. The taxi should be able to drop you right at the check-in tent.

There is also a bus that runs to the port (bus #33). On Saturdays, it runs every half hour from around 10 am to 4 pm and stops at a few places downtown. The bus fare is 40 NOK if purchased on the bus or 26 NOK if you buy a ticket ahead of time at a subway station or convenience store.

Archived