Bus to San Jose del Cabo safe?

mimigirl54

My DH and I are on the Statendam in April (Trans-Canal) and Cabo is one of the stops. We've been to Cabo before and were thinking of taking the local bus to San Jose del Cabo for the day. Much cheaper compared to taxis! My question is.....does anyone know how safe the local buses are? We did this on Saint Martin and felt totally secure (it was actually one of our best "shore excursions"), but with the drug situation in Mexico I'm starting to wonder if it's a good idea.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

the word is, 40 minutes each way, 25 pesos per person each way ($2). Seems like a great way to enjoy the views of the desert/ocean while in Cabo. Cabo seems the safest of all the Mexican Riviera ports, so is the bus safe? we say YES!

Perhaps a visit to the leather store under "Shooters sports bar" in San Jose del Cabo.

IMG_3440.jpg

Perhaps a self guided walking tour of the most visual Cabo resort on the way back, The Westin

IMG_7636.jpg

Westin

IMG_7537.jpg

Westin (downtown Cabo in distant left center of pic below)

IMG_7400.jpg

We took a van tour in Ensenada. The biggest safety issue was the highway....most of the seatbelts in the van didn't work. On the way back to the ship we were almost in an accident on a 2-lane highway that would have been very serious. Fortunately the driver was alert enough to take evasive action. It was in no way our driver's fault but that wouldn't have made the result less severe. Everyone was pretty quiet the rest of the way back to the ship.

We haven't taken the bus in the last two years, but it was our favorite trip in Cabo. I think you will need pesos for the bus, but there is a cambio just outside the hotel at the end of the marina. When I could walk well, it was about a ten minute walk to the bus station along the main street (keep going right until you see a covered seating area). I wouldn't worry about my safety on the bus - it's locals going to work and coming back from shopping.

Archived