advice on side trip in The Netherlands

We are on a Baltic cruise out of Amsterdam in July and I need advice on a day trip out of Amsterdam. We are planning on visiting a small town about 2 hours out of Amsterdam. the town is Damwoude (or Damwalde) in the municipality of Dantumadeel. There is a WWII Commonwealth grave in a churchyard where a relative is buried.

Now my questions: am I better to take public transportation i.e. train and buses which will take about 3 hours if I make the connections and don't get lost. not sure where the drop off point is relative to the churchyard so that's a bit of a problem or should I rent a car in Amsterdam and drive (google directions estimates 2 hours), risking getting lost (even with GPS in Italy I had some troubles) - I understand that driving in Amsterdam is horrific so getting in and out of the city probably will be very stressful or should I blow the budget and hire a car and driver.

sorry for such a long question but really would like some advice from people who either live in The Netherlands or have visited often.

Thanks.

Larry

To be honest I never heard of Damwoude, but I see it is in "Friesland"in the northern part of the country.

Renting a car is an option, but indeed within the city driving (and parking) is awful. Gas is very expensive also.

If you can get a good GPS you can make a nice drive over "Äfsluitdijk", the dike between North Holland and Friesland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afsluitdijk

Once you are a few miles outside Amsterdam driving will be more relaxed.

However public transport isnot that bad. You can check all details in

http://www.9292ov.nl.

It gives detailed information about trains and buses etc

If I check it for a day in April it would take aboiut 3 1/2 hours from Amsterdam to Damwoude. Change trains in Amersfoort and Leeuwarden and continue by bus. This connection is every hour. So it certainly isnot that bad.

We are on a Baltic cruise out of Amsterdam in July and I need advice on a day trip out of Amsterdam. We are planning on visiting a small town about 2 hours out of Amsterdam. the town is Damwoude (or Damwalde) in the municipality of Dantumadeel. There is a WWII Commonwealth grave in a churchyard where a relative is buried.

Larry

Here is another suggestion Larry,

I assume you are staying overnight in or near Amsterdam before boarding the ship, or are you arriving by ship for one day? You certainly would not have time if you arrive the day that your ship departs.

If you were to stay just outside Amsterdam, let's say Zaandam, just north of the big city, you could rent a car right there and drive north as Ine suggested across the Afsluitdijk. There is a good hotel in Zaandam, The Golden Tulip, and it is brand new. It is very easy to reach by train from the airport since the hotel is righ across the street form the train station in Zaandam. There is also a Budget rental car agency right there.

Ine/Liar Bear,

thanks for the information and the quick responses. We are staying in Amsterdam for several days prior to departing on our cruise as there are many things we want to see and do in the city. We are allocating one day for this side trip.

I will check out the train/bus schedules but will also look into a car rental. perhaps if I rent the car on the outskirts of the city that will lessen the stress of driving in Amsterdam.

Thanks again.

Larry

Archived