cruise alone. Good or bad

jenndun

Or can I book while I am on the may cruise and get a better deal then online?

From what I understand (and hope other will correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't a discount for booking on the ship. The only reason I can think of to wait and book on the ship is to get a onboard credit for doing it. On the Conquest class ships they have a desk where you can book a future cruise and get $100 of onboard credit for a future 7 day cruise.

But you aren't sailing on a Conquest class ship, so I think you'd be out of luck there. And besides, Christmas week cruises are popular, and the price could easily go up more than that $100 between now and May. I'd say if you are going to do it don't wait.

I'm also divorced but now my kids are grown. They can't always be free to go on a vacation with me. So last year it occurred to my that there is no reason I can't go by myself on a cruise! So I booked a 5 day out of Miami. I am not an extroverted person, so I didn't know how I'd like it. I have to say that IT WAS GREAT!! I had a balcony room, and books and music. I loved best to sit on the balcony, watch the ocean, eat a room service breakfast and read. When I got tired of that, I'd wander the ship and I'd always find something to do. I entered the trivia contest and won a medal, a trophy and a bottle of champagne! It was a blast. On the last night, I brought the champagne to the table in the MDR and shared with all my table mates. One thing I liked about Carnival is that they put lone cruisers with other lone cruisers. There were actually a fair amount of people travelling on their own. For shore excursions, I booked what I wanted, and I went! I never felt isolated or lonely because everyone was on vacation and everyone, without exception, was friendly! And it was very nice to do what I wanted to do, and not do what I did not want to do. I had a blast and plan on cruising solo again!

Ive done it once and I will do it again! I enjoyed not being made to feel like I had to do what ever the other person wanted to do. If I wanted to sleep late there was no one waking me up. If I wanted to spend all day on the lido deck I didn't have to worry about having someone else wanting me to tag along to do something else. The only time I felt a tad bit self conscious is when I went to the MDR the 1st night at sea. I got there first and was afraid that I was the only one at the table. But soon other singles started showing up and my dis ease went away. I do well alone or in a group of people. I can talk to anyone!

I didnt mind going on shore alone. I walked all over Progreso by myself and was just as happy as if I had been with dozens of friends. The only thing I will not do alone is go to a bar. Other than that I loved the heck out of it!:D

My first cruise experience was a solo one in 2003 on the Holiday. I actually didn't get charged the 2nd passenget suplement. I had an inside cabin and loved it! All the "solo travelers" were seated together. We had a blast getting to know each other and telling stories. I kept in touch with several of them for a while. This was my first real vacation as a single person. I was 25 and my theoretical "night in white shining armour" never seemed to show up so I celebrated my independance and embraced that. I came back a better person because of that cruise!

Less than two months after I returned from that cruise, I went on a date with a guy I had gone out with during the previous year. (Chalk it up to bad timing-it just wasn't meant to be when we went out the year before). He and I both cruised so we knew we would have at least that in common. His cruise (he went with friends on the Conquest), returned the day after mine departed. I like to tell people that our ships passed each other at sea. Two months after our first date, he proposed. We got married 4 months later and have been married for almost six years.

I would not have traded my solo cruise experience for all the money in the world. It was the best thing that could have happened for me. It was absolutely a wonderful experience. I need to find the picture that the photographer took of me before we set sail. Everyone used to tell me how relaxed I looked in that picture. They had never really seen me like that. I was so consumed with trying to find the right man. I never understood until then that I could do things completely on my own and be totally satisfied.

I can't guarantee that you will find inner peace after or during your cruise. I can guarantee that you will have a BLAST! And that experience will be in your heart forever. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Go for it! I've done two solo cruises and getting ready for my 3rd. I've cruised with and without friends and I have to say that it's easier to meet lots of people when traveling solo because you don't have th other person to talk to all the time so you'll find yourself chatting with other cruisers more often. It's also great to have the chance to go and do whatever you want whenever you want. Want to go to breakfast early? No problem! Want to call it an early night? Yep -can do that too without checking with anyone else.

This is the same with me, I am taking my 5th cruise in September, this will be my 3rd cruise solo, I like the fact that I can do things on my own schedule without checking with someone else, I have also done 5 land trips solo and I love it and always seem to find people to talk to.

I hope the op decides to book and goes and has a great time, I know I always do.:)

My kids will be with their dad for Christmas until the 28th this year. Since my divorce when the kids are gone for holidays I hate being around family. They are always saying how sorry they are for the kids being gone and how hard it is. I am thinking about skipping the family stuff this year and going on a 7day. It would be just me unless I can find someone else to go. Is it a good or bad thing to crusie alone. Can I book two people and then go alone if I don't find anyone to go with me. Will they charge me more when I get to port. Can I book if I don't have a name for the second person. It is cheaper to book two then one person. On the other hand if I book one and then find someone who wants to go can I change it to two and get the rest of the money in obc or refunded.

Thanks

This is my second cruise and both alone. You have to pay for two anyway. I was told that a second person could join me, they just had to pay the taxes and a credit card. I met a lot of singles on my last cruise including my entire table, except for a couple who was together (don't think they were married). Have fun.:)

Have you looked into any group cruises happening around that time. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to some solo time. Although I would say I am a bit ubersocial, I also enjoy time all by myself. Plus it is gonna be fun just to "see what happens". I am doing my first solo next month!

Also, when I sail with friends, I am usually the one who organizes the cruise, therefore I feel the need to be "responsible" for everyone having a good time. "Lets meet here, "lets meet there", "Meet outside at this time or that time", "where does everyone wanna go". Ugh

Just did a solo cruise and it is not for me. I am not saying it won't be for you as I have a friend who sails solo and enjoys herself. I am a people person and like to have someone to talk too; am very extroverted so I was bored on many occasions. This was my first cruise sailing w/o friends and I am used to having friends around and as my cabin mates and that is just what I prefer. I spent a lot of time in my cabin this last cruise, oh so boring..lol..but I had an inside and felt like I was inside a cardboard box! :eek: I did meet people and hang out with some on occasion but 90% of the time I was alone and it was just not for me...

Tough time of year to be alone. For me anyway. I travel extensively on business and as luck would have it, I travel to Hawaii a couple of times a year. It completely sucks for me when I'm at a resort there and everyone else is with someone and my wife is not with me. Bums me out a lot.

I can see myself taking a cruise by myself one day, but only if the missus was no longer on this earth.

I leave on my first solo cruise next month on the 15 day Elation repo. I am very excited. I am a so-so social person, but cruising alone, it's my decision how social I want to be. I am perfectly happy sitting in my cabin watching TV and having a couple of drinks, or going to the bar and having a couple of drinks. I can be on my own schedule. I have a new DSLR camera, so my cruise coming up will be a big photography mission for me. I will also have my Gameboy and a couple of books to keep me busy. And sometimes, I just enjoy being bored and not stressing about anything.

My husband has been in Afgh. since Oct. he returns at the end of April and is leaving again in November..I am home with my two 6 year old boys..I would do it in a heartbeat..give me a book a chair and some peace and quiet..I am a social person but I would be perfectly content by myself..We are cruising in July..but I am trying to convince my husband to take the kids to Mi. to visit his family for a long weekend..I know I would miss them but 4 or 5 days alone in my house! pure bliss!!!!

I agree - go for it and have a great time! I'm booked right now in a 1A on Freedom this fall (see the sig?) and am looking forward to it. Yeah, it's fun to travel with a companion, but I had just as much fun the two times I cruised solo - in some ways it was better, no need to coordinate anything or answer to another person for anything.

When I was coupled up, I often felt like I couldn't do things by myself, like I was defined by my relationship. Although I didn't want that relationship to end, once it did I realized that nobody should limit themselves that way, that I should be able to (and needed to) find all the joy I needed within myself - that isn't necessarily easy, but it can be done and a solo cruise is a great way of learning that this level of happiness can indeed be found without having another person around.

So take advantage of your solo-ness, do things you want to do but haven't done yet. You absolutely will meet lots of people, maybe even someone who interests you beyond the cruise - but in any event, you'll have a special memory that's all yours, to remember and to share from then on.

And if you're looking to get involved again, remember that the more you have experienced for yourself, the more you have to offer another person.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Archived