Jeep Rental or Tour

cgags47

Hello all,

My group of 4 is going to be in St. Maarten in May, and we are tossing around the idea of renting a Jeep and doing our own exploring. We would love to drive with the top down, and maybe take it on some dirt roads to explore a little. On the other hand, we have heard that hiring a private tour, like Bernard's or Joyce Prince, is more convenient and that they take good care of you. I'm just trying to get a feel for the experiences that people on here have had, and maybe be able to shed a little light on this. I know there are pros and cons to both sides of this, I would just like to hear what others prefer to do. Thanks!

It's fun to rent a car, you really don't need a jeep because most roads are paved and if not I wouldn't go down them. You can also rent a Harley for the day, but I wouldn't do too much drinking, the locals are pretty crazy on the roads. There's also quite a bit of traffic, and if one of the bridges goes up you could be stuck for a while. All in all it's a pretty safe place to drive.

I would use Bernard's Tours. The locals do not drive as carefully as you do. The local criminals prey on rental cars (all designated with an R on the plates). If they damage the car, guess who pays? Buy the insurance (about $5 USD per day).

Traffic is extremely heavy.

If you do rent, NEVER leave anything in your car and ask the rental agent whether or not you should lock the car. Usually they tell you to leave it unlocked and the windows cracked a bit. If they DO tell you that, get it in writing as YOUR insurance will not cover an unlocked car.

If you get hit in the rear end while driving, do not stop or get out of your car unless you are in a very busy area. This is a major method to rob you.

Archived