Insurance Yes or No

rfkp

I got insurance for our 1st cruise which was a 7 nite trip in an expensive room. Our next cruise was a "oh I can't pass on this great deal cruise" for 5 nights in a very cheap room. Dummy me - I thought there was one set price for insurance and didn't want to spend over $100 each for ins. on a trip that cost us $295 each. I posted the whole long story elsewhere on the boards, but my daughter ended up going by ambulance from the ship's infirmary to a hospital in FLL due to misdiagnosis by ships dr. Found out the insurance would have been $29 each later after I got stuck with a $2,500 medical bill from ship and hospital ER. Needless to say I would never vacation without insurance again!

Thank You all for your responces to my question. I have gone ahead and purchased a poilcy with Travel Guard. I decided to go with the Cruise Guard Policy. I wasn't really worried about losing the money that I put up for the cruise (NOT) :rolleyes: but after reading about unexpected Med. cost that some were left with, I felt insurance was a good idea. I'd rather pay $72 now then $2500 later. Only 19 days to GO! :)

Robert

I think that an individual's regular major medical insurance would cover some of those medical claims. I would defintely put a claim in. Also if anyone is interested I just had to cancel a cruise (well before the penalty date) and my insurance was refunded. This is very important to me since some of the others I researched would not refund the premium if the cruise was cancelled early. I used Global Alert

My husband is also currently in Iraq and I recently booked a cruise. I searched through several different insurance companies policies including those on Travel Guard. Unfortunately, most have an exclusion that if anything is due to war, it isn't covered. However, I found one, travelinsured.com that offers a special policy for USAA members that covers a change in leave due to war. It was also very reasonably priced. I would call them and explain that you want the USAA protection plan because that is the one that specifically covers war related problems. I haven't had to make any claims, but I do have a little piece of mind since they are the recommended travel insurance for USAA. I hope this helps and hope that you don't need to use the insurance.

Archived