Nifty & Thrifty Find's

It had a plastic case. Yellow background with a big red parrot and the words SPICY across the top. Hope you find it. We just love our cheap find CD. Cari

Thank you for replying. I must have looked through hundreds of cds. Mostly paper covered ones. I'll look again this week, at least I could narrow it down a bit. Thank you again!

Thank you for replying. I must have looked through hundreds of cds. Mostly paper covered ones. I'll look again this week, at least I could narrow it down a bit. Thank you again!

If you can't find it and really want it let me know and I can buy one here and mail it to you in a padded envelope. Cari

Hi folks...We are fairly new to cruising, but found out quickly how expensive and painfully slow the on board computers are. Does anyone know if it does work out cheaper to bring your own lap top ? You still have to pay the cruise line for your time spent on-line, but am wondering if it works out to be more reasonable at all ? Any hints and tips on this topic would be MOST appreciated...Thanks :)

I took a HAL cruise to the Caribbean in Oct 2009 and wanted to use their computers for text only, as I wanted to create text and back it up on my flash drive. Needless to say, just to type text meant my giving $200 to HAL just to use their computers. So once home, I purchased a laptop and use it only for text purposes.

Found the cds!

Went to 2 Dollar Trees today looking for the cd's and after going through about 100 others found them! Put it on immediately in the car on the way home, they are so fun!

Thanks for letting us know about them,

Sharon

Maybe we will be able to find a Dollar Tree in port on our cruise. There aren't any of them here in the islands. Sigh! Not that we really need CDs of Hawaiian music when we can get the neighbor's kids to play for us. Their little girls do hula too, and it's terribly cute when they do the "Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai".

Long time ago when internet time was dial up and charged by the minute (gee, sounds like a cruise ship, doesn't it?) there used to be a small program called "Silly Little Mail Reader". It would go online, snatch all my emails and then log off, usually in less than a minute. I'd then answer the emails and get them ready to send, then log on again and do a send/receive for the new emails. I don't know if there is still something similar out there or not. This was a DOS based system, it might still even work?

I found a knee length Vera Wang formal dress at a second hand clothng store a few weeks ago. It fits perfectly, is in mint shape and is just right for a formal night on my cruise. I paid $7.00 for it! I have a pic of it on my blog (link below).

Also, there is a company (brandsampler.ca) in Canada that lets you order free samples every few months. Not sure if it's the same in the US, but it is all Proctor & Gamble products. I've gotten alot of sample size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, floss, toothpaste, razors, etc. All basically the same size as the travel size that you buy in the stores. Perfect for traveling!

Edited by Gone_Again

I found a knee length Vera Wang formal dress at a second hand clothng store a few weeks ago. It fits perfectly, is in mint shape and is just right for a formal night on my cruise. I paid $7.00 for it! I have a pic of it on my blog (link below).

Also, there is a company (brandsampler.ca) in Canada that lets you order free samples every few months. Not sure if it's the same in the US, but it is all Proctor & Gamble products. I've gotten alot of sample size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, floss, toothpaste, razors, etc. All basically the same size as the travel size that you buy in the stores. Perfect for traveling!

Wow, Vera Wang for 7 bucks!! You go girl !!!!

Or last vacation, Sept 2009, I found a little black dress on a clearence rack at Macy's. the original price was around 125.00 after 3 mark downs and the extra 20 % I got for using my Macy card I purchasd the dress for only $16. I thought that was a deal.

I just bought a (nearly) new Lands End bathing suit off Ebay for $3.04 including shipping! Also a new with tags black lace cami top from Coldwater Creek for $4.65.

Both going straight into my cruise case :D

The 2-pack ponchos are awesome! I always throw a few packs in my garment bag, usually don't need them. This February in Honduras was definitely an exception, it poured all day and our 16 year olds really wanted to do the tour we planned. I was surprised that they were very glad to wear the dollar ponchos and it was helpful to keep our camera and stuff dry. Excellent "investment" :o

I always keep a few of them in the beach bag so they are ready to pack.

I went on a 14 day cruise to the Mediteranean. Before I went, I purchased clothes at Goodwill for cheap prices. Washed and ironed the clothes and looked great. At the end of the cruise I left the clothes on board and was able to bring home the souvenirs I wanted without worrying about my lugage being too heavy.

And by having your own computer you can download your pictures from your camera thus freeing up chip space. I always set up a daily file folder and download my pictures every evening, and then write a review of what we did that day and place it in the daily folder. That makes life a lot easier when we get back in sorting out what we did.

Cheers,

I do this very same thing. Each late afternoon before dinner or before bed I download all of my pictures to my laptop so that I can start with an empty camera each day. This year I will bring blank CD's and burn a CD before I clear my camera JUST in case something happened to my laptop. We have fun w/ our cruise pictures all year long.

This winter was the worst in my lifetime (Nebraska)...broke every winter/snow record held...ever!

I can't tell you how many blogs, facebook posts and such that I did to get through this winter.

I found the quart size bags that have the 'extra' fold at the bottom at the local dollar store (size 8" x 7.5") which is the correct size for doing the 3-1-1 liquids for the airlines. ( a generic name on the box)

Another great find: an over the door organizer but mine is double sided so it works great for all those little extra things. This, however, I found at the local charity store. I have never had luck locating them at the dollar stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Dollar Tree, and I go in any chance I get. The only downside is that the merchandise changes a lot, so you are never guaranteed to find exactly what you're looking for.

Also, I recently discovered- the hard way- that paying $1 for an umbrella might not be the best thing! I'm sure I looked like someone from a cheesy sit-com, walking down the road, dressed for work, in the rain, fighting with umbrella that was turned inside-out.:eek:

I have a find that might qualify as a Find-of-the-Week. A few months back, I found a Dooney & Bourke purse at a garage sale for $6. It still had all of its tags (minus the price tag) and all the of the various plastic and tape pieces that come on a new bag. When I asked if the price was correct, the woman came down to $3! She said, "My daughter usually sends me expensive birthday gifts, but this year she sent me that ugly thing!"

I took it to a local department store that sells them and asked the sales associate if she would taking a look at it, just to make sure it was real. She said that it was. :D

At the dollar bins at Target we found tubes of glow necklaces and bracelets. we are going to take them for the kids to have at night.

Also palm tree notes, stickers etc, to make a wsign for the cabin door.

Maybe bringing the ponchos along will mean we won't need them! Here's hoping! Although I still would much prefer a rainy day on a cruise than a sunny day at home!

We've taken ponchos from Poundland (our version of Dollar Tree) on our past few holidays - and brought them home again unused - so perhaps you're right about them being a lucky charm :).

Also, you can get a variety of samples from walmart.com

The content varies alot but have gotten toothpaste and shampoo/conditioner paks.

Just type in free samples in the search field.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday at the $1 section in Target I found mesh laundry bags that were very good sized ( 36" x 24"), had a drawstring with a toggle and came in several colors. I bought 2 to use on next cruise and future vacations.

after reading your post I thought, hey, I have two cd's that were given to me from dollar tree. not the ones you have, but they made my boys dance! age 2 and 11. so sweet. I will check yours out though. thanks