Medical question, do not truly know where to post this..

marlin1518

Thank you all for this information! I had a neuro-stimulator implant in January of last year and have not cruised since so was concerned about it. It's such a relief to get first-hand accounts of your experiences. I travel quite a bit for work and have never had an issue at airports--the first couple times I offered my card, but they didn't want to see it. They had no issues hand checking me. Now, it's just normal. Not a big deal since I've done it so many times.

I e-mailed Carnival about it yesterday, but with the weekend and holiday I haven't heard back, of course. So, nice to get this info.

Happy cruising!!

I've only had the scanners go off one time and that was because I was wearing a new solid metal bracelet watch. I tried to get the security lady to wand the watch, but she would not listen to me. I got the feeling she had a routine she had to go thru, starting at my feet. She just went thru the motions, like a robot. I never could get her to look me in the eyes or really pay attention to what I was saying. I don't wear that watch any more.:rolleyes:

I have just had a medical device placed into me and I am taking a cruise on Carnival in July. When do you inform security, prior to or after you go through the screening process ?? I know this is really a petty question, but I don't want to get in trouble for not letting them know at the "proper" time. Thanks for any assistance with this question.

for any concerns, During weekday hours contact:

CARNIVAL GUEST ACCESS SERVICES

1-800-438-6744, ext. 70025, for details.

ken

Thanks for asking the question. I'm getting a radial head replacement at the right elbow in two weeks, which means I'll get a card. From what I'm reading the airport is going to be my biggest concern. Should I allow more time to get through security? We travel in Dec. Thanks, Doxie

Thanks for asking the question. I'm getting a radial head replacement at the right elbow in two weeks, which means I'll get a card. From what I'm reading the airport is going to be my biggest concern. Should I allow more time to get through security? We travel in Dec. Thanks, Doxie
Yes, definitely. Leave 15 seconds - 2 minutes earlier than originally planned. That's how long it takes for them to wave the wand over your elbow.

Do tell them, especially a pacemaker which means you can't go through metal detectors. Don't do what the father of one of the ladies I work with did on an occasion or two. He had a rod in his back and on a recent family reunion trip they all went together. He delibertely didn't tell them he had a rod in his back, so the detector went off, and they wanded it went off and he still didn't tell them of the rod. They took him to the special room and as he started undressing they got a nice good look at the large scar on his back and asked him about it and that is when he told him about the rod in his back. He didn't have to take anything else off and his wife, children, and grandchildren were a wee peeved at him just killing time before the flight.....

Happy sailing!

Hi, Doxie:

In the year and half since my neuro-stimulator implant I've flown at least eight times. Each time it has taken only a few minutes longer that those who aren't hand checked. You just put your carry-on items on the belt like you normally would and then at most airports you'll see a gate very near (usually right next to) the metal detector. Just tell the TSA agent who's manning the metal detector that you need a hand check. They'll call someone up and they'll take you through the gate to bypass the metal detector.

The TSA agent will pick up your carry-on items--you're not allowed to pick them up after they've been x-rayed. They'll then take you to the side (or to a place with more privacy, if you prefer) and do a hand check--I ask for the hand check instead of wand so it takes me a couple minutes longer than wanding. I've done this enough times now that they don't have to give any instructions and that makes it go a little quicker.

It's really no big deal. :)

Have fun on your cruise!

I recently had double bypass surgery, and a leaky valve fixed. I was told that there was a ring used to fix the leaky valve, and because of that ring, I could not have an MRI. I had to have a bone scan instead. Will this cause problems with security? Will I need a note from my surgeon? Or I able to go through the security? Anyone who may know this, I would appreciate the information. Do I need to contact my surgeon for a note or anything? Thanks for any help you can give.

Archived