Tampa ~ a day at Ybor City

cheaptravel

I know I could ask this in the Florida Ports forum, but there's really not much action over there.

We will be on Radiance for her first voyage out of Tampa in October on a 7-nighter. We have our hotel for before cruise. We won't be going home until the day after debarking, so we have a whole day to enjoy Tampa. I was thinking Ybor city, it seems I hear a lot about it but I don't really know what there is to do. Is it worth staying in this area and then catching a shuttle to the airport ? Are there any shuttles at the Port that would take us to a Ybor city hotel on debarkation day ? We like a hotel room with a small suite feature, and a decent pool. Any suggestions about any of the above would be most helpful. We've already been to the FL Aquarium, Busch Gardens, St. Pete. Would just like an easy day to ease out of "cruise mode." :)

Thanks in advance.

Will be sailing with you that week ;)

I had stayed at Hilton Garden Inn, years ago precruise, although we didn't have a suite, it was with in walking distance to the resteraunts and the movie theater , loved the cobble stones streets.

Ybor City - some nice restaurants (I'm and always be anti Columbia, which I'm sure will be recommend here). Some other nice restaurants and nightclubs, including live venues. After 10 pm or so the very young crowd (21-30) takes over the area.

Will be sailing with you that week ;)

I had stayed at Hilton Garden Inn, years ago precruise, although we didn't have a suite, it was with in walking distance to the resteraunts and the movie theater , loved the cobble stones streets.

You should peek in on our roll-call for this sailing. It's over 200 pgs. strong !

I'll check out the Hilton Garden Inn, and anywhere else in walking distance .... still need to check out shuttles, though.

We have family in Tampa and have been to Ybor City several times.

Not to be negative but it is not the safest area. If you are there after 10 pm, there will be a lot of drinking, drugs and partying. When we were there

with our DD's several years ago, we felt very uncomfortable.

It is quite quaint in the daytime though, with good food and drink.

They have a transportation system that makes several stops and you can get on and off at will depending on what you want to see and do.

There is a great little Greek Restaurant there. It is very lively, lots of music, belly dancers and napkin throwing! We enjoyed it very much but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. It is probably the only Greek place in the area, it was a corner unit. Hope this helps!

I'm a nut when it comes to trolley cars but I spent a day in Ybor City riding their trolleys. They have done a rematrkable job of creating a system that envokes the heyday of the streetcar. If you do nothing else, take the time to ride the trolley from end to end.

Enjoy you visit.

There is a great little Greek Restaurant there. It is very lively, lots of music, belly dancers and napkin throwing! We enjoyed it very much but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. It is probably the only Greek place in the area, it was a corner unit. Hope this helps!

Acropolis, it's one of my favorites! Also what the above poster said about it not being safe at night is pretty true. But there are good restaurants, some bars, a movie theater and Game Works. Nice to walk around for the day.

I know I could ask this in the Florida Ports forum, but there's really not much action over there.

We will be on Radiance for her first voyage out of Tampa in October on a 7-nighter. We have our hotel for before cruise. We won't be going home until the day after debarking, so we have a whole day to enjoy Tampa. I was thinking Ybor city, it seems I hear a lot about it but I don't really know what there is to do. Is it worth staying in this area and then catching a shuttle to the airport ? Are there any shuttles at the Port that would take us to a Ybor city hotel on debarkation day ? We like a hotel room with a small suite feature, and a decent pool. Any suggestions about any of the above would be most helpful. We've already been to the FL Aquarium, Busch Gardens, St. Pete. Would just like an easy day to ease out of "cruise mode." :)

Thanks in advance.

As a former Tampan, I can tell you that Ybor City is a whole lot safer than it used to be. Thanks to the local cops shutting off 7th Street to vehicle traffic on Friday and Saturday nights, and the installation of a host of cameras all over the area, crime has gone way down. If you stick to the main drag the worst you'll have to put up with is loud drunks. Case in point, after a night out we got home to discover that my hubby's wallet was missing. We got a phone call the next morning from the couple that found it. They returned it to us - all contents, including money - intact. That would not have happened 15 years ago.

For daytime stuff, there is some wonderful shopping down there, the Muvico theater is a great place to catch a movie, and there are fabulous restaurants of all kinds. I love the Tropicana for a wonderful Cuban coffee in the morning that will not only open your eyes but will add a spring to your step! There are some shops where you can buy cigars rolled on site as well if that's your thing. They will even package them to travel or ship them to you as well.

Bernini is a great Italian restaurant if you want something more "formal" (which is to say it's nicer than the average place in the area) or if you just want something more relaxed, Carmine's is great too. I also do like the Columbia though I saw some disagreement in an earlier post. Their 1905 salad is wonderful!!

As a former Tampan, I can tell you that Ybor City is a whole lot safer than it used to be. Thanks to the local cops shutting off 7th Street to vehicle traffic on Friday and Saturday nights, and the installation of a host of cameras all over the area, crime has gone way down. If you stick to the main drag the worst you'll have to put up with is loud drunks. Case in point, after a night out we got home to discover that my hubby's wallet was missing. We got a phone call the next morning from the couple that found it. They returned it to us - all contents, including money - intact. That would not have happened 15 years ago.

For daytime stuff, there is some wonderful shopping down there, the Muvico theater is a great place to catch a movie, and there are fabulous restaurants of all kinds. I love the Tropicana for a wonderful Cuban coffee in the morning that will not only open your eyes but will add a spring to your step! There are some shops where you can buy cigars rolled on site as well if that's your thing. They will even package them to travel or ship them to you as well.

Bernini is a great Italian restaurant if you want something more "formal" (which is to say it's nicer than the average place in the area) or if you just want something more relaxed, Carmine's is great too. I also do like the Columbia though I saw some disagreement in an earlier post. Their 1905 salad is wonderful!!

I totally agree with you on the safety issue in Ybor City. It is fairly safe these days to wonder around the place, but it does become a college age fraternity party place after 10 pm or so. Just bunch of young people having a good time with some having a "little" too much fun with alcohol.... ;)

Columbia Restaurant - My views are not based on one experience. I've given the place way too many chances to prove me wrong. I'm just not convinced that "it's a must" type of a restaurant to visit when visiting SW Florida.

I have visited their place in Sarasota about 2-3 times, St. Pete once and Tampa location 2-3 times. Always walked away questioning the "great reviews". I rank it average at best, and couple of times, well below.... JMHO. :D

Thanks for all comments so far, keep them coming !

We don't expect to be out and about much past 7pm that night as we have to catch a plane the next day, so I'm not worried about the active night life. We've been in areas like that and it doesn't really bother us so much. We definately want to try the Tampa Bay Brewing Co. place, also on 9th avenue - as we like to visit brewpubs wherever we go.

Archived