Venice St Mark's Basilica - 2010 Booking web site now open

Freckles_51

It's April 1st (in Italy, anyway ;) ) and the booking site is now open.

It states on the web site that there is 1 Euro charge.....but I now have my voucher and they didn't ask for any payment, yet anyway.

Has anyone booked a time slot in this manner?

Will we pay the 1 Euro fee at the entrance when we hand in the voucher?

Can i please ask ,what is the advantage of booking a free visit,can t we get there and...just visit.Never been to venice ,and of course want to see the basilica once there on our upcoming cruise.

It states on the web site that there is 1 Euro charge.....but I now have my voucher and they didn't ask for any payment, yet anyway.

Has anyone booked a time slot in this manner?

Will we pay the 1 Euro fee at the entrance when we hand in the voucher?

I just booked a time slot for May 21st and did not have to pay a fee. Just received an e-mail confirmation of our booking.:)

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/basilica_of_san_marco/

Can i please ask ,what is the advantage of booking a free visit,can t we get there and...just visit.Never been to venice ,and of course want to see the basilica once there on our upcoming cruise.

Yes, you can just arrive and join the line-up. Pre-booking allows you to go through a separate priority line and we're assuming that will get us in faster, especially since we will not arrive at Basilica until abt. 11:30am when the general line is likely to be long, or so we're told (we've never been there before either!)

I just booked a time slot for May 21st and did not have to pay a fee. Just received an e-mail confirmation of our booking.:)

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/basilica_of_san_marco/

Yes, same here....please come back and tell us your experience after your visit...if you had to pay upon entry, how long did you wait in the priority line, etc.....

We booked a time for the Basilica because we have read that June starts to get pretty busy and we wanted to nail down a time WE wanted to visit the Basilica. As others have already stated, we just received a confirmation email and assume we will pay when we arrive at the Basilica. We also booked a Secret Itinerary Tour of the Doge Palace to get a time that WE wanted. Those are the 2 sites we wanted to be sure to visit while in Venice. We also have a day in Venice mid-cruise as we have booked a 14-day cruise. We are particularly looking at purchasing some glass while we are in the City and thought that the day in port between our 2 weeks will be the day to do that. Does anyone know what time you are able to disembark if you are cruising a second week? Do we have to wait until everyone disembarking from a 7-day cruise leaves or can we leave at our leisure once the ship docks? :confused:

i pre-booked my ticket for free for basilica just went strait to the line show my confirmation and thats it. they have entrace fee on once you go inside going up the stairs u pay and at the bottom u still have to pay not sure how much.

Freckles_51: thank you for providing the link. Just made my reservation for July 4th when we arrive in Venice on the Ruby Princess.

Sharon

How far in advance should you book? It looks like it would be well worth it and thanks for posting the link!

Lynn

I booked for Sept 18. I think you should book as soon as you know when you want to go. I believe you can book a time slot for the 2010 season up to the end of October. They don't take bookings Nov-March.

The web site states that with the voucher, you enter through the door of San Pietro, one arch left of the main centre entrance.

There is an entrance fee to go up stairs to the Museum 4Euro, Pala D'oro 2Euro, Treasury 3Euro

Something I forgot to mention - I think if you book a time slot (you get 10 mins) and you are late, they will not let you in with the voucher and you will have to join the end of the general line....so don't be late! :)

Also if you take large bags you will have to leave them at the bag check-in, it's on the north face of the Basilica near or at Porta Dei Fiori (Door of Flowers)

Here is a good map of the Basilica. You can click on Maps on the left side menu for others, and "change city" or "change country" at top of menu for other ports that you might be visiting:

http://www.planetware.com/map/basilica-di-san-marco-map-i-i43.htm

Thank you Freckles_51 for this website, I booked for Sunday, July 25 the ealiest time is 2:05pm, I guess they have mass in the morning?

Here is the fine print for the entry:

How much is it to book and visit

- Priority booking, which allows you to avoid queuing, is € 1,00 per person

- All credit card details are protected by SSL encryption

- The cost of priority booking is non refundable

Credit card online payment is still not active. No payment will be required for the time being.

Thank you Freckles_51 for this website, I booked for Sunday, July 25 the ealiest time is 2:05pm, I guess they have mass in the morning?

Credit card online payment is still not active. No payment will be required for the time being.

Thanks PC168. I went to the "useful info" page and saw that info....except the last line....where did you find that? (I just had a look and it still isn't there)

The terms on my voucher are in Italian, even though I selected English :rolleyes:. I did translate using Babelfish, but don't see anything about the payment process not working. :confused:

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/basilica_of_san_marco/useful_info_basilica/

1. Hot to book

- Use the Booking engine to choose the time and date of your visit, if these are available you will be then asked to enter your personal details. These will be added to your voucher which you will have to show when entering the Basilica.

- Enter a valid email address to receive your entry voucher

- Your voucher will be sent to the email addressed you have entered inside the form.

- Print your voucher and remember to bring it with you when you visit the Basilica. Only printed vouchers will be accepted. Without this, the entry gate at the priority entrance in the Basilica will not open.

- Yor booking will be validated via the barcode on your voucher at the time of entry.

2. How much is it to book and visit

- Visiting the Saint Mark’s Basilica is free of charge

3. Modification or cancellation to your booking

- Your booking cannot be modified nor cancelled.

4. Please remember that

- Suitcases, backpacks and extra-size bags are not allowed into the Basilica. We advise bags are deposited free of charge before entry at the Ateneo San Basso close to the Basilica.

- Your clothes must be appropriate: shorts and sleeveless or short tops are not allowed,

- Photographs and videos are not allowed within the Basilica. Silence must be maintained whilst in the Basilica.

- The length of your visit of the Basilica is 10 minutes. This is to allow everybody to visit the Church and preserve its integrity.

5. Who do I have to contact for a guided tour?

If you want to book a guided visit please send a request to basilicasanmarco.venetoinside@infracom.it and we will book it for you

6. Group booking

For group bookings over 8 people please send a request to basilicasanmarco.venetoinside@infracom.it

Thank you RSWBADGER. I did find that information, but not this:

"Credit card online payment is still not active. No payment will be required for the time being."

Oh well, I'll have my Euro ready at the entrance, just in case ;)

Hi Freckles_51,

Here is the link:

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/basilica_of_san_marco/basilica_individuali/

Saint Mark's Basilica

..........................................................................................

How to book

- Use the form below and select the time and date of your visit

- Enter the required information. This will be included in your voucher which you will have to show at the entrance of the Basilica

- Enter a valid email address to receive your entry voucher.

- Print your voucher and remember to bring it with you when you visit the Basilica

Venezia Piazza S. Marco 30124

Visiting time: 9.30 - 16.45

for those who have pre-reserved:

Am I correct in assuming that the 10 minute visit is just for the Basillica, and not for the museum/bell tower/treasury? How does one go about pre-reserving a museum slot, as I did not see that on the website? Is that even possible,or necessary?

Thanks!

We are planning on attending a mass in St. Mark's. I'm assuming that we will be able to just walk in 10 minutes or so prior to mass time. Is anyone aware of any problems with that?

Archived