Need your help traveling this saturday

scordovi

We are leaving this saturday on our cruise to Bermuda. On day 1 I would like to take the ferry to St George, then go to Hamilton.

Here are my questions:

1. what is the best thing to see and do in St. George.

2. what's the best route from St George to Hamilton if I want to do the caves, swizzle inn, shopping, and horseshoe bay.

Here is your day 1. Take the 9:15A ferry to SG, arriving there 35-40 minutes later. If you miss this ferry, the next one is at 10:00A

In SG, I would walk around and enjoy its charm, do a little shopping, visit the unfinished church, take the jitney to Tobacco Bay and walk to Fort St Catherine for a tour, walk to Alexandra Battery and collect sea glass there. When finished in SG, board a #10 or #11 inbound bus for Hamilton. Politely tell the bus driver your destination is the caves. You will be dropped at the closest stop for the caves which happens to be the same stop for SI. This trip takes about 15 minutes. Your option here: do the caves first and walk back to SI, or SI first, then the caves; and then walk from the caves back to SI and board a #10 or #11 inbound bus for Hamilton. It is about a 7 minute walk from SI to the caves. The ride to Hamilton is about 35 minutes, so sit back and enjoy it.

In Hamilton, you could do your shopping here or at the Clocktower Mall at the Dockyard. Your choice. No matter where you shop, you will have to board a #7 outbound bus to get to HSB. This ride is about 35 minutes. When finished at HSB, you will board a #7 outbound bus to get to the Dockyard. This ride is about 35 minutes, also.

You could use a taxi, but they are $$$$$. Time savings, 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there.

You should buy a 1, 2 or 3 day transportation pass which will give you unlimited rides on the bus or ferry for the number of days the pass is purchased for. All the times provided are guesstimates and exclude waiting time

IMHO, you are trying to do too much in day 1. You are planning a long and tiring day. Bermuda is not the destination to race from A to B to C, something will be missed. Slooow down and smell the roses.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

SBtS - you seem to be very knowledgeable about Bermuda....I have a question for you (or anyone else who can help). We have a large family group going to Bermuda aboard HAL in June. We'll be tendering into St. George for one day and docking in Hamilton for 2 nights. We have 9 children and 15 adults and we're deciding whether it would be better for us to split taxis (6 people in each one) or get unlimited bus/ferry pass. After my figuring, it seems like 4 round trip (3 mile) taxi rides would equate to the price of an unlimited bus pass for each person. Do you think we'd be better off with the bus pass? What is the distance from the Hamilton dock to Warwick Long Bay Beach - is it about 3 miles? Thanks for your help.

Pegi

A couple of questions, are you such a close family that all will be doing the same thing or will you break down into smaller groups to do different things; and the ages of the children - children under 5 ride the bus/ferry free; children 5-10 yo transportation pass for 1/2/3 days is $6/10/14. The distance from the Hamilton dock to Warwick Long Bay Beach - is about 3.5-4 miles.

If you are only doing that one trip and return (Hamilton to WLBB) for your entire stay in Bermuda then taxis would be the answer, but if that is one of many trips then I would go with the 3 (or 2) day transportation pass good for unlimited rides on the bus/ferry for 3 (or 2) days.

If you provide more details, someone help you more.

SBtS

A couple of questions, are you such a close family that all will be doing the same thing or will you break down into smaller groups to do different things; and the ages of the children - children under 5 ride the bus/ferry free; children 5-10 yo transportation pass for 1/2/3 days is $6/10/14. The distance from the Hamilton dock to Warwick Long Bay Beach - is about 3.5-4 miles.

If you are only doing that one trip and return (Hamilton to WLBB) for your entire stay in Bermuda then taxis would be the answer, but if that is one of many trips then I would go with the 3 (or 2) day transportation pass good for unlimited rides on the bus/ferry for 3 (or 2) days.

If you provide more details, someone help you more.

SBtS

I just found out that my sister-in-law does not feel comfortable taking her 2 year old on a bus or taxi without a car seat, so their family may not be joining us. So, we will have 7 kids (aged 7 - 15) and 10 Adults who will be coming with us. Some may stay at one beach while others venture on foot (if not too far) to explore, but for the most part the cousins want to stay together.

Thanks for giving me the distance to Warwick Long Bay. :) Do you happen to know how far of a walk it is from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay?The distance between those beaches will help us make the decision on whether to go with the bus or the taxi.

You can rent chairs at Tobacco Bay.

Hard to follow who is asking about where.;)

Thought the last person was asking about the beaches between Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay. If they are asking about ALL beaches, there are a couple other places as well.

Hard to follow who is asking about where.;)

Thought the last person was asking about the beaches between Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay. If they are asking about ALL beaches, there are a couple other places as well.

LOL.............I'm not sure what beaches I'm asking about........just beaches in general. This will be our first time to Bermuda. We both like the water and we like to snorkel. Are there any beaches you'd suggest. Everyone told me to make sure we get to Horseshoe Bay so I'm sure we'll stop there.

Do you know what they charge for renting chairs/umbrellas.

Patty

LOL.............I'm not sure what beaches I'm asking about........just beaches in general. This will be our first time to Bermuda. We both like the water and we like to snorkel. Are there any beaches you'd suggest. Everyone told me to make sure we get to Horseshoe Bay so I'm sure we'll stop there.

Do you know what they charge for renting chairs/umbrellas.

Patty

Looks like you'll be at Dockyard so any of the south shore beaches will be the easiest for you. Snorkel Park, right at Dockyard, as well as Horseshoe Bay rent chairs/ umbrellas for $10 each. Church Bay on the south shore is good for snorkeling, no chairs, etc. and Tobacco Bay over in St. George's is good for snorkeling. The little cove to the right at Horseshoe is OK for snorkeling if there aren't too many people to scare off the fish. 9 Beaches is also close to Dockyard. Haven't been there, some like it, others don't.

Looks like you'll be at Dockyard so any of the south shore beaches will be the easiest for you. Snorkel Park, right at Dockyard, as well as Horseshoe Bay rent chairs/ umbrellas for $10 each. Church Bay on the south shore is good for snorkeling, no chairs, etc. and Tobacco Bay over in St. George's is good for snorkeling. The little cove to the right at Horseshoe is OK for snorkeling if there aren't too many people to scare off the fish. 9 Beaches is also close to Dockyard. Haven't been there, some like it, others don't.

Thanks so much for your response. Is the water calm at these beaches?? waves?? Are there lifeguards?

Where is Church Bay? We're only in Bermuda for 2 days so trying to do as much as we can in those 2 days. We'll be there on a Saturday and Sunday and i understand some stores are closed on Sunday - not that I want to do any shopping, but what else is there to do or see in Hamilton and St. George.

What should we not miss??

I'd like to visit Hamilton and St. George as well, but can we do that all in the same day? We can't walk around with bathing suits and a cover up plus snorkel stuff like we would be able to do in the Caribbean. Would it work if we spent time at a beach and then went back to the ship to change and then went back out. Do you know if there is anything to do in the evenings?

I think I'm so nervous about this trip because I'm not familiar with Bermuda and it seems that docking at Kings Wharf might be a hassel. We're so used to the Caribbean where you get off the ship, hop a taxi and go where you want. But now we'll have to ride ferrys and buses........not sure how long all that will take. I'm sure it will be fine because lots of people do it every week and some have done the same trip 5 and 6 times.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

Patty

Thanks so much for your response. Is the water calm at these beaches?? waves?? Are there lifeguards?

There are lifeguards at Horseshoe Bay from roughly Memorial Day to Labor Day. The water can be very calm there with no waves but I've been slapped on the back an knocked over as well.:D Snorkel Park is very calm and Tobacco Bay as well except it can get choppy in the deeper area around the rocks depending on the weather and tide.

Where is Church Bay? We're only in Bermuda for 2 days so trying to do as much as we can in those 2 days. We'll be there on a Saturday and Sunday and i understand some stores are closed on Sunday - not that I want to do any shopping, but what else is there to do or see in Hamilton and St. George.

What should we not miss??

Church Bay is on the south shore and is almost the first beach out from

Dockyard. It does tend to be rougher than the other beaches but it's a beautiful small and normally uncrowded beach.

I'd like to visit Hamilton and St. George as well, but can we do that all in the same day? We can't walk around with bathing suits and a cover up plus snorkel stuff like we would be able to do in the Caribbean. Would it work if we spent time at a beach and then went back to the ship to change and then went back out. Do you know if there is anything to do in the evenings?

We just make sure to dry off after being in the water and carry our snorkel gear in backpacks...we don't take fins. What made them heavy was a big wet beachtowel so now I take a couple small micro fiber towels to dry with and they're great. Don't waste time going back to the ship....dry off with the mocro fiber towel, take undies and continue on your way.:) Not much going on in the evenings.

I think I'm so nervous about this trip because I'm not familiar with Bermuda and it seems that docking at Kings Wharf might be a hassel. We're so used to the Caribbean where you get off the ship, hop a taxi and go where you want. But now we'll have to ride ferrys and buses........not sure how long all that will take. I'm sure it will be fine because lots of people do it every week and some have done the same trip 5 and 6 times.

King's Wharf is not our favorite place to dock but Bermuda is small and it's not as much of a hassle as you may think. You'll certainly be within easy reach of Hamilton by ferry and the beaches by bus, or taxi if you prefer.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

Patty

With your limited time, I would probably go to one of the south shore beaches then head to Hamilton to at least see what it's like, then take the ferry back to Dockyard. Another day I would take the ferry to St. George and take in the things there.

With your limited time, I would probably go to one of the south shore beaches then head to Hamilton to at least see what it's like, then take the ferry back to Dockyard. Another day I would take the ferry to St. George and take in the things there.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Someone posted that the ferry doesn't run to St. George in May which means we'd have to go to Hamilton and then take a bus to St. George. Did you carry a change of clothes with you after snorkeling? If did you just put clothes on top of your bathing suit?

Thanks for all the great ideas. Someone posted that the ferry doesn't run to St. George in May which means we'd have to go to Hamilton and then take a bus to St. George. Did you carry a change of clothes with you after snorkeling? If did you just put clothes on top of your bathing suit?

Oh, the darn ferry schedule, plus you're there on a weekend.

Wore suit under clothes and just made sure it was dry or else took undies. DH sometimes just wore a tee shirt with his suit to and from.

The ferry to St. George is up and running on weekdays but I believe not on weekends.

Your right. I think they did say weekends........my mistake. We'll be there on a Saturday and Sunday so they won't be running when we're there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived