No Carnival cruise this year? How can I cope?

gatorclaw

Opted to forgo a one week cruise this year in order to do a 16 day B2B in 2011 - that decision was made one year ago (only 10 months til we cruise again) This will be the longest we have gone without a cruise in the past 6 years -

Yes - I am antsy - we should be cruising now - but I know the wait will be worth it to be able to sail with all my "Maniac" friends again. We have planned a few inexpensive close to home "staycations". Found a lovely mountain retreat in a state park that rents really reasonable in off season. Have spent two long weekends there so far with another planned in October. So I get to enjoy my two loves - the mountains and the sea...

If we are careful with our budget this summer (ie - keep the home remodel costs down) we might be able to do a little something out of Charleston for our Anniversary/Christmas gifts in October/November.

It's all about priorities and sacrifices - trying to get all llined up for retirement - get house and yard in order so that in just a couple more years we can putter in our gardens, play on our computers and cruise yearly as long as we are able.

I am so looking forward to our 2011 cruise and if I don't get to go this year it will be that much sweeter.

Hope you can get over your funk - life's too short to not enjoy it!

It's tough. We've been on a cruise every year for the last three years and we have one booked for December. After that, I don't know when we'll be able to go again. Before cruising, we used to do staycations. We'd go stay in a big hotel. They had a weight room, indoor pool, jacuzzi. They'd have complimentary beverages (booze) and snacks. We'd get a room overlooking a river. Then in the morning, they'd have a complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast. That was our "cruising" before we started cruising.

Barring that, do what others have said. Look for a cheaper, shorter cruise. My DW is kind of spoiled. Every cruise we've been on has been longer than the last. And the last cruise and next cruise is a balcony. She doesn't think she could cruise for less than a week (Yikes! She just came in here. She must've sensed me talking about her. LOL). Sure I love long cruises and balconies. Who wouldn't? But as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if I'm in an inside room at the bottom of the ship on a weekend cruise as long as I'm on a cruise. If that's all I can afford, then I'll take it.

Archived